DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys, Im curious as to who has given full IB kicks in their vehicle a try. I am curious how you managed to get it done, what issues you run into besides extending wiring and what problems it brought upon as well as solved.
I am debating if it is worth it or not to give it a shot in my car to stuff some larger drivers up front and possibly get rid of some of the other issues that doors rend to bring about.
If anyone has any links to build logs or anything of the sort that documents their process or pictures of their build, I would love to see them!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I run Stevens MB8-2s IB in the kicks of my '66 Chevelle.

It's a factory non-AC car so the cowl vents directed air to the kick panels and there was a push-pull knob where you could open/close a door to direct outside air into the car.

I'm switching to Beyma Pro10WNDs and they'll also be ran IB.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I’m really debating about doing them in mine. I currently have a set of anarchy 704 mid bass in my doors, I’m not sure how they will work in an IB kick, or if they would be better in a sealed box. Or if I need a different driver

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Generally for IB kicks you want something that has a relatively high Q, 0.4-0.7 or more is ideal, I run sb acoustics WO24p-4 under my front seats (I have 209mm round holes in my floor courtesy of welded in 10mm laser cut steel plates) which are 0.45 give or take, I have awesome midbass and it’s natural and can be quite boisterous with the right tracks, I do like my trance so tracks like concrete angel certainly bang well and have good impact!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.
I see a lot of people vent into their body rails instead of doing a full pass through to outside the cab.
What sort of challenges do you run into there? I believe that my rails run up through the a pillars, and have several openings along their length. Is that something that people typically treat? I was thinking that maybe using some CCF to block off the regions you don't want there to be an exit for pressure (like the wire holes to route the harness into the doors) may be enough. Or does having them mostly blocked off with the carpet of the car and whatnot work well enough

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6
824 Posts
What's the SQ difference putting the mid bass speakers under the seats vs in the doors or kicks (genuine question)?

I've been mulling this over in my mind lately. It would be so much easier to install and cut a hole under the car for IB MB's vs in the kicks.

Since more people don't do this I'm assuming there must be downsides - I'm assuming SQ and depth issues.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
What's the SQ difference putting the mid bass speakers under the seats vs in the doors or kicks (genuine question)?

I've been mulling this over in my mind lately. It would be so much easier to install and cut a hole under the car for IB MB's vs in the kicks.

Since more people don't do this I'm assuming there must be downsides - I'm assuming SQ and depth issues.
Underseats generally seem to roll off a little around 170-200 mainly due to the boost below that freq and the dips above, kicks tend to play a little higher due to being mounted in a corner and have more even reinforcement

No depth issues under seat as your playing below where we perceive positions, my midbass is nailed in the centre of the screen with the mids

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I would also assume width is going to suffer due to the way we perceive location with those frequencies. Your brain uses the time difference between when it reaches your two ears to determine location around there, so if the location of the sound is coming from underneath of you, it is going to reach your ears at the same time. If you are using your midbass for 150hz and down, it probably will be less of an issue though.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.
I see a lot of people vent into their body rails instead of doing a full pass through to outside the cab.
What sort of challenges do you run into there? I believe that my rails run up through the a pillars, and have several openings along their length. Is that something that people typically treat? I was thinking that maybe using some CCF to block off the regions you don't want there to be an exit for pressure (like the wire holes to route the harness into the doors) may be enough. Or does having them mostly blocked off with the carpet of the car and whatnot work well enough
Ccf won't block sound. Use mlv, sheet metal, lead, etc. Maybe a piece of thick deadener would due.

It's probably ok to leave them unblock if they are covered by carpet. but I would consider stuffing them with some denim insulation.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ccf won't block sound. Use mlv, sheet metal, lead, etc. Maybe a piece of thick deadener would due.

It's probably ok to leave them unblock if they are covered by carpet. but I would consider stuffing them with some denim insulation.
I dont believe ultratouch is being produced anymore unfortunatly.
I thought CCF blocked sound transmission though since the cells are closed up. It was the best thing I could think of that could keep sound from traveling up the a pillars besides expanding foam which is a no go for this car. Too messy and too much room for error lol. Lead sheet and some butyl rope sounds like it could be a good idea to cover up some of the larger holes like the harness pass for the doors though. I like it.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I would also assume width is going to suffer due to the way we perceive location with those frequencies. Your brain uses the time difference between when it reaches your two ears to determine location around there, so if the location of the sound is coming from underneath of you, it is going to reach your ears at the same time. If you are using your midbass for 150hz and down, it probably will be less of an issue though.
Even at 300hz the width was still there, if you think about it the drivers side driver is in a perfect line with the drivers side a pillar/sail panel if you move it to the edge of the seat, and the passenger side is way wider…

Just like door mounted mids give you the widest stage… dash mounted are narrowest pillars and sails are in the middle

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Nah, mass per SQ ft blocks sound. Ccf works as a isolation device for a barrier or when compressed as a gasket.

Sucks to hear about the ultra touch... Maybe some polyfill could work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts