DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need recommendations for subwoofers to run IB under the rear deck of my E39 M5. Running 300 watts rms per sub from Alpine PDX-5s. The stock subs are 10 inch Nokias and just can't handle the power and certainly are not SQ subs. I would run IDQs, but this car is tracked and needs to stay as light as possible. I probably can squeeze in 12inch subs if I need to do so. Candidates:

IDQs (heavy, but well suited for IB, or so I understand)
FIs (12 inch only , well suited for IB, but heavy)
Elemental Designs (light, IB, but know nothing about SQ)
Diamond Audio Hex (light, good SQ, but not designed for IB)
Illusion Audio ND-10 or 12s (hard to find, good SQ, but not necessarily designed for IB)

Any thoughts? Additions? Corrections? I appreciate the advice.

--P

·
Registered
115 Posts
I too, am looking for a set of 10" subs to run IB for SQ AND am concerned about weight. Really, the IDQ's don't weight that much. I think they're under 20 lbs per sub. (I may be biased because I used to run a 13W7 which is ~60lbs per sub). The IDQ V2 I believe weighs less than the current V3. I'm trying to figure out if the V3 is even for IB, as most people are talking about the V2 when referring to the IDQ as a good sub for IB.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Eric told me the 10IDQV3 weighs between 15-17 lbs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
have you considered using the back wall/back seat istead of the rear deck?

i have read alot of good reviews about AE IB15. its light, good SQ, perfec for IB and its even good on even 200watts...

havent got the chance to hear them though, its still not available till may 9... huhu!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you considered using the back wall/back seat istead of the rear deck?

i have read alot of good reviews about AE IB15. its light, good SQ, perfec for IB and its even good on even 200watts...

havent got the chance to hear them though, its still not available till may 9... huhu!
Thanks. I should have listed AE above. Not sure I can squeeze two 15s (or even one) in the rear deck, but I will measure this weekend. According to the website, the AEIB15 won't be available now until May 15! Uh oh. Production schedule is slipping! I don't want to use the back seat pass-through for bass for various reasons, principally that it would required that I cut a pass through from the car frame because I do not have the fold down seats in my M5.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks. I should have listed AE above. Not sure I can squeeze two 15s (or even one) in the rear deck, but I will measure this weekend. According to the website, the AEIB15 won't be available now until May 15! Uh oh. Production schedule is slipping! I don't want to use the back seat pass-through for bass for various reasons, principally that it would required that I cut a pass through from the car frame because I do not have the fold down seats in my M5.

ooopppsss... my bad, i just checked it and you right, they will be available on th 15th and not the 9th. :eek: have to be more patient on this one...

BTW: in case you wonderring, i think on one of their threads, they listead a special order for IB12's...

W12GTi's are also good... except for the depth... unless ur considerring the beauty of its basket to show...:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are JBL W12GTi's too deep?

Absolutely fantastic car BTW ;)
Thanks very much. Far and away the best sports sedan I've ever owned.

Not at all, but probably too heavy for my purposes. 5-10lbs per sub is fine; Above 10lbs per sub doesn't work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still have a 10" DLS Ultimate Iridium. They won some compeitions in an IB setup. Might be a good start.
Checked them out. Look great, and are SQ subs, but at 21.6 lbs, way too heavy for my application.

Anyone know whether the Aurasound 10 inch sub (NS10-513 I think) works well IB? It weighs in below 10 lbs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi
I am using the IDQ12v2 in an IB install and it is lighter than any sub I have used.

If installed correctly, you will be fine off 500w - easily enough to satisfy most bass urges ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Des your Bimmer have fold down rear seats?

I have a 2003 540M. I use a 15" firing through the ski pass through. My seats do not fold down though.
With folding seats, you can use two 15's. The bimmer forums had a sub set uop for sale from an e39 M5 a while back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Des your Bimmer have fold down rear seats?

I have a 2003 540M. I use a 15" firing through the ski pass through. My seats do not fold down though.
With folding seats, you can use two 15's. The bimmer forums had a sub set uop for sale from an e39 M5 a while back.
I do not have fold down seats, nor do I have a ski pass through, as mine is a 2001 M5. I want to stick with using two 10s in the rear deck if I can.

·
Registered
393 Posts
MW 190. Smallish 12 (whole speaker diameter is less than 12 in) that weighs like 5 lbs with a 4 in VC and sounds superb. Not for serious SPL but then not the point of IB, right?!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MW 190. Smallish 12 (whole speaker diameter is less than 12 in) that weighs like 5 lbs with a 4 in VC and sounds superb. Not for serious SPL but then not the point of IB, right?!
WE HAVE A WINNER! MW190s appear to be PERFECT for my application, viz., two SQ subs running IB in the back deck, each one weighing about 5lbs! A little pricey, but truly perfect for my app. Thanks very much.

--Peter

·
Registered
393 Posts
WE HAVE A WINNER! MW190s appear to be PERFECT for my application, viz., two SQ subs running IB in the back deck, each one weighing about 5lbs! A little pricey, but truly perfect for my app. Thanks very much.

--Peter
Glad I could help. You can contact forum member "6spdcoupe" and he will give you A++ service and a great product.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad I could help. You can contact forum member "6spdcoupe" and he will give you A++ service and a great product.
Bought my MW190s from him last week. Great guy, great price, great service.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts