DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens to the freq response when you put a speaker designed for IB, ie door, in a small sealed enclosure, ie kickpanel? I'm just hoping to be able to use my 5 1/4 mid in the kicks when I get a dedicated midbass for the doors. It needs to play from ~200Hz and up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
IME, you lose all bass extension in exchange for punchy high midbass. Sometimes it sounds kind of muddy too unless you highpass it relatively high.

See my other thread on how to find a cheap 6.5 inch for IB midbass.

·
Registered
174 Posts
a woofer designed for IB probably won't like small sealed enclosures... depends on the driver though - download WinISD (freeware) and find out how your driver will do.

another alternative is to do an AP. heres a page about AP enclosures. I think of them as kind of halfway between sealed and IB with many of the benefits of both... although I've never heard a AP box personally...

-Jeff

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it won't need to play any ower than 200Hz. I downloaded winisd, I'll see what it says. Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
it seems like over 200hz it wouldn't matter, but i found in my modeling on winisd its easy to create a hump that extends much higher than 200hz due to an improperly sized box. best to plug it in and find out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts