DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im am looking well into the future and i think i want to try out some horns.
I know the difference between the mini bodies and regular ones but i cant figure out what the differences are between the models.

Out of these ones on woofers page which is the most common for sq and which would you choose if price is no concern and why? I was thinking of trying a paid of CD1pro's but the Ultra ProCompM are not much more. They would be running about 1khz+ off a dls a2. I think i can manage a full body horn but have to get measurements later.

Here are the models i think one should work well with this woofer.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/ES-06+.pdf

Links to horns: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm...y&page_id=14&mfg_account_ID=36&category_id=24

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/products.php?Family_Id=5

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm running a pair of CD2 neo motors on full bodies and I like them a lot.

I believe ID came out with some newer models called Ultras. I'm not sure if those are the same ones on the woofersect website. Those pictures are confusing. They show two different motors...

Anyhow, I heard the new ultras play flatter than the CD2s.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See i get more confused there seems like there are a ton of models are your CD2comps with neo motors? Do any of the ones on woofers page have neo motors or do they all? I feel like such a nub here i always love soft dome tweeters but i want to stick with a 2 way setup and i love the cdt woofer and need something that will sound good paired with it. I will have either a dla a3 on the mids so 150x2 unless i can get a dls a4 and bridge it for 270x2 to the mids.

Anyways thanks for the i think i will look more into the cd1pro or the ultrapro when i start working and sell some of my used stuff i should have plenty $ to try them out i am sure i will like them.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I believe ultras are replacing the cd2's

from bottom to top older models

cd1 then cd1pro then cd2's

most of the cd2's will be neo motors, they changed to neo several years back.

I am not positive of all the models, but I would stay away from the cd1's.... I believe they use a piezo tweeter.... or at least used to.

if it were me I would get cd2's or Ultra's... I believe ultras might be even smaller, but are supposed to be pretty similar to cd2's

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah thanks i am lurking the id horn forums right now and it makes me wish i could sell my dam used audio fast i want some horns :(

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
ya u go james bang get us another Horn user ;). Yes the ultras are replacing the cd2. i run a pair of full body horns in my buick and the biggest thing you have to worry about in mounting is if you have room for the driver either facing up or down. i have mine at 1khz with my mids running 100 up to. now the old cd1e were piezo but not the newer ones. keep in mind horns are CRAZY loud. and the motors are at 8 ohms. so if you feed it 150 at 4 the horns sees 75. i have my ultras off a Q700.2 which is rated at 175x2 so the horns see half of that and like i said they get loud. since i'm not aquainted with the cdt just make sure they can keep up with the horns.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the cdt is a sweet mid if i toss it 270x2 at 4ohm they will love it. The amp for the horns will be a dls a2 at 8ohm will be like 25-40rms each. I just noticed my lower dash is whack the driver side is like 15" from the floor but the passenger side is like 10" off the floor and the ac blower might make me have to mount it even lower so far not looking good for horns :(

I will get some pics from my back seat soon as it cools down outside as i am running new wires into my doors and a second run of wire for the new horns or whatever i use. My lower dash sucks it just makes me feel less horny hehe :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
if you have the room on the driver side just drop the horn lower remember that's the fun of puttin horns in

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How low do people usually run the horns to? I rewired my speakers in preparation for going active and i played the cdt's full range i in the doors they seem to play only to like 1-1.5k clearly i don't think i can cross them any higher.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
depends on the driver, horn and vehicle

·
Banned
244 Posts
a local guy has a few sets of USD horns BNIB. old, old, old stock from a shop he had here in town. also has 15 IDQ subs of various sizes BNIB. i am getting an inventory list and may pick it all up if we can come to an agreement.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
a local guy has a few sets of USD horns BNIB. old, old, old stock from a shop he had here in town. also has 15 IDQ subs of various sizes BNIB. i am getting an inventory list and may pick it all up if we can come to an agreement.
Let me know what you find with the IDQ subs... I might be interested in a matching pair of IDQ15v2's if possible.. mine are V1 and don't match exactly..

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok here is some pics of my dash i wonder if it would work my drivers side is a bit higher than passengers. Also the ac blower is right at the line of the dash bottom which is part of the glove box. Also mounting the horn on passenger side seems like it would take a lot of the foot space away think i am doomed? I need to some how get ahold of some to test fit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks but the second link wont load for me if the horns wont fit i might go with a large format tweeter in kicks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Minihorns would be so easy to install in that car.
My concern is the leg space on the passenger side my passengers seem to always kick in my dome mid especially my mom and sister :mad: How wide are the mini horns that would give me an idea how much space they will use? I would hate my passengers to always be kicking my new horns lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts