DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
i would say no. I own and have used the peerless and while they can play lower, there are other mids out that will play lower with more authority such as the seas rnx woofers.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would say no. I own and have used the peerless and while they can play lower, there are other mids out that will play lower with more authority such as the seas rnx woofers.
I went and looked at the seas...I'd like to stay away from aluminum cones, want to keep the phase plug and also need a 6 1/2" speaker.
This one might fit the bill:

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8766

But I see it's an 8ohm driver. Hmm wonder if about 75 rms is enough per speaker.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are welcome to try my 7" HDS if you are in MA before I install them.
That's pretty awesome of you.
I wouldn't want to hurt them before you get to use them but,
I'd love to hear them in your install, once you get them in give me a shout.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why do you care about the phase plug for a midbass driver?
Or more to the point why are we calling 6.5" drivers Midbass drivers? Or trying to make them play much below 80hz?

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
i replaced my XS 65 comps with morel CAW638 mids and SB ring tweeter and could not be happier.:D:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went and looked at the seas...I'd like to stay away from aluminum cones, want to keep the phase plug and also need a 6 1/2" speaker.
This one might fit the bill:

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8766

But I see it's an 8ohm driver. Hmm wonder if about 75 rms is enough per speaker.
I currently have the u18rnx in my car and having had both those and the exclusives in the car hp'ed @ 63hz the seas win hands down. Much better composure at loud volume. the midrange on both are great but again the seas extends higher without harshness.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why do you care about the phase plug for a midbass driver?
I read that they do better off axis with the phase plugs and I'm mounting them in the factory door locations. Not sure how true it is, I'm no scientist but I love the way the xs65's sound with them and I figured that feature would do similar things regardless of who makes them. Maybe I'm silly? :laugh:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or more to the point why are we calling 6.5" drivers Midbass drivers? Or trying to make them play much below 80hz?
Trying for more bass from the front instead of the subwoffinator in the rear.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
A decent 6-6.5" mid driver should play down to 50-60hz with authority. Before you buy another speaker, just make sure its not a tuning issue. Some common issues that will muddy your mid bass response:

1. Too high a xover point between sub and mids. Try this around the 50-60hz mark.
2. Shallow slopes on the sub and mids. Use the steepest slopes here.
3. The sub has too much delay and is muddying the mid bass.
4. Turn the gains / eq on the sub to flat.
5. If you have L/R control over your eq, try pinching down at 200-400hz for your side (left).

Maybe you've already tried all this in which case just ignore the post :). Just wanted to make sure you'd covered everything before you spent $$ on new speakers.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A decent 6-6.5" mid driver should play down to 50-60hz with authority. Before you buy another speaker, just make sure its not a tuning issue. Some common issues that will muddy your mid bass response:

1. Too high a xover point between sub and mids. Try this around the 50-60hz mark.
5. If you have L/R control over your eq, try pinching down at 200-400hz for your side (left).

Maybe you've already tried all this in which case just ignore the post :). Just wanted to make sure you'd covered everything before you spent $$ on new speakers.

It's not the sub. I've listened with it off. I used 18 dB slopes on everything. I don't have l/r eq. I think i'm going to try the Seas.

·
11,394 Posts
I have my xS65s at 100 hertz and they sound incredible. Ms-8 is doing the processing, and bass is waaaaaayyyyy in the front of the car.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
A decent 6-6.5" mid driver should play down to 50-60hz with authority. Before you buy another speaker, just make sure its not a tuning issue.
A decent 6.5" driver should play down to 50-60hz with authority when placed in a proper enclosure. Even high Qts drivers will struggle at that point when placed in a car door.

Some common issues that will muddy your mid bass response:
You're going to have to explain this one. That is simply not true.

Phase relationship should determine slope. High order slopes are no better than low order slopes. It's completely application dependent.

The other way to say this is "poor phase relationship" can muddy the midbass.

Again, your saying a poor relationship between midbass and sub bass.

I'm pointing out that where he crosses the midbass in relation to the subwoofer is not that critical. If there's a problem, then it's either a poor phase relationship, or improper power response at the crossover point.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts