DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2004 Silverado extended cab with an Alphasonik 10" sub in a sealed box. It's something that has kind of been thrown together. In the past i have always built my own boxes but now with this truck it's not as easy putting something together under the seat. I'm pretty set on the Image Dynamics ID12 but in trying to find a box that matches well i'm striking out. Per ID they recommend a 1.25 cu ft sealed enclosure and the closest i'm coming up with is an audioenhancers prefab box that is 1.07 cu ft. My question is will this be sufficient and will polyfill help out also. I'm going for more SPL than SQ but if i get some opinoins that the IDQ12 will be that much better I may go with that but I do heavily favor the ID12. Thanks for any help to a noob.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
not sure why you are buying a SQ sub and then stuffing it into too small a box for SPL reasons, lol. there are plenty of cheaper subs out there for SPL.

stay away from prefab boxes, seriously. have a shop make a box or do it yourself. you will be much happier with it and you will be able to build a box that is made correctly for your sub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I had that backwards I'm going for SQ (been there done the loud). So even that small of a variance in size will affect the output and quality of the sub? Do you think a shop would be able to build a box for less than $150 with those specs?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
lol, ok. makes more sense.

I dunno, call one and find out. but I cant imagine it would cost much more than that. more than the airspace requirements is the biuld quality. most prefabs are cheaply biult and will fall apart, not worth the hassle.

the difference between 1.07 cuft and 1.25cuft is trivial, but you have to install the sub too. you will lose about .12cuft from that, so your 1.07 cuft box is now .95 cuft. that is really too small.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so that brings me to another question, if i'm going to have one made would it be beneficial to go ahead and have them build a ported box. There's plenty of room for it but is it something that will sound better or worse.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
that is kinda up to you. properly biult, I like ported boxes more than sealed. they dont roll off as soon as sealed boxes, and have more output out to the tuning point. getting box the right size and tuning the port are more critical than a seal box, for obvious reasons. you will also NEED to use a sub-sonic filter to keep the sub from unloading below the tuning point.

dont let any of that scare you off though. ported are not the enigma people think they are, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming that an internal sub crossover on a hu is not sufficient for that nor does the current amp i'm running have a subsonic filter

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
depends on the HU, I suppose. does it have the ability to set a 20-50hz HIGH pass filter on the subout? if so, that is a SSF.

if your amp does not have a SSF in it, you can get a simple 2-way crossover and set the highpass to act as an SSF.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the low pass different than the high pass?

Kenwood KDC-BT945u
"Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Frequency (40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220 Hz); Slope (-12, -18, or -24 dB per octave); Phase (Normal/Reverse); or you can also select full-range "

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
yes, low pass is the exact opposite :p

lowpass = allows signals below the set freq.
highpass = allows signals above the set freq

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I ran around to local shops today, and one of the more reputable shops here tried telling me this sub was too big and wanted to sell me a box and JL w3 v.3 and said it would be better in every way. I'm not saying the JL is bad but I've heard both JL and ID and want to give ID a shot. So I got home and looked up some specs and the mounting depth on the JL is 5.93" and the ID is 6". Am I missing something or is he just trying to sell me on his $240 woofer?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
About pre-fab boxes....

Ported pre fabs: STAY AWAY from them, they are tuned too high and are too small

Sealed pre fabs: Kind of hard to mess up a sealed box, as long as the volume and cutout are correct. There are quality pre fabs out there, Subzone, Atrend, the ones on woofersetc.com. The only ones I would stay away from are the no name ones for $20 on ebay...

Oh and dont listen to the guy about the JL, hes just trying to sell you something, my ID12 sounds pretty much like my IDmax which means...awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts