DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 Cadillac Catera that I recently acquired. I still have my old system from my previous car(just a couple P1-12s) but was thinking of doing the system in the Catera a bit differently.

The Catera has the 8-speaker Bose system (boo hiss boo, I know). This entails front tweeters, front door speakers, rear door speakers, and rear deck speakers. My idea is to remove the rear deck speakers and have a car audio shop fit a couple 10 inch subs in there (P2s or something similar). I would do it myself but it will require some modifications to the sheet metal in that area and I don't feel like messing with it.

Does anyone have any opinions on this or how it may sound? Would the trunk work okay as a box or would it sound so terrible that I should have some sort of a more reasonably sized box made to go around the bottoms of the subs?

My goal is to have something that looks nice, saves a bit on trunk space if possible, and potentially minimizes trunk rattle a bit. I am guessing that this may not be as loud as having a good ported box in my trunk but that's okay.

On a related note, I have heard that working around the Bose system's CD player and factory-installed amplifier can be a bit of a pain. A couple of people have suggested that I have the stock CD player wired to a different location in the car (such as the trunk) to hide it but keep it in the loop and then have my after market head unit installed in the dash. I was told this helps to prevent a lot of issues as a lot of the car's functions run through the stock head unit and the wiring harnesses meant to address this are not fool proof, are expensive, and don't prevent all the issues of removing the cd player altogether. Also, I have heard that I should not use the factory amp to power any new door speakers/tweeters I put in since it has a sound processor that will make them sound like crap. Does anyone know of a way I could still use the factory amp but somehow bypass any sound processing?

Sorry for the long post! Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
365 Posts
not a caddy but i did away with the bose amp. mine was in the trunk i used the factory wires coming from the bose amp and put them to a 4 channel.
dump the factory deck do the after market of you choice run some rca's and figure a way to use the wires i ended up putting my passive crossovers in the dash behind the radio and only had to run new tweeter wires.
google is your friend :Dall the info you need is here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=o1+...UF2yYKHbVxCPYQsAQISw&biw=1600&bih=794#imgrc=_

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the info man.

I was actually just thinking about how the speakers being wired to the factory amp is going to save me some wiring work down the line when I put in new door speakers and want to amp them.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If you use the proper dash kit and a GMOS - 06 harness it shouldn't be an issue to replace the stock radio with something better.

Reactions: TCSaturn
1 - 4 of 4 Posts