DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!

So I'm working with a pretty tight budget, but I'm really wanting to improve the sound quality of my current setup. Someone mentioned, on here, taking these 4-in round speakers that I have and removing the tweeters so that I could have more mid-range fill. I'm working with the attached setup currently:

Well, picture isn't uploading for some reason.

So I'm in a 99 Jeep wrangler. I got some of the mounts that let me upgrade the 4x6 speakers to 5.25 inch component rounds. I have tweeters installed on the a pillar right above the dash. I have a set of 4-in speakers that I could, in theory, remove the tweeters and install. What type of enclosure could I buy and or make that would let me put the rounds, I'm thinking where the tweeters currently are?

I'm working on getting this picture to upload.

Attachments

· Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, that worked. So could I buy inexpensively or make some kind of housing that would let me put the 4" rounds sans tweeters where the tweeters are?

· Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a head unit that has a network mode for all front speakers with control of high, mid, and sub. I have passive crossovers that I could use and keep the tweeters and 4" rounds together on, or I guess I could just not remove the tweeters and use the 4" as coax. Then the 5.25 would be under the mid control.

· Registered
10,773 Posts
Personally, I would not use both the 5.25" and 4". They are going to both be playing most of the same frequency range, with the 5.25's playing a tad bit lower, and the 4's playing a tad bit higher. The ideal front setup in your case would be using the 5.25, and a tweeter, nothing else.

If you have multiple speakers playing the same frequencies you are going to have a very difficult time getting things to sound good. Your head unit is designed to run a 2-way front (plus sub) actively. The best chance you have for good sound quality is by using the 5.25, and a tweeter. The 5.25 will have a bit more bass than the 4" and will still play high enough to pair with the tweeter without leaving a gap in the frequency response.

· Registered
2,414 Posts
I have a head unit that has a network mode for all front speakers with control of high, mid, and sub. I have passive crossovers that I could use and keep the tweeters and 4" rounds together on, or I guess I could just not remove the tweeters and use the 4" as coax. Then the 5.25 would be under the mid control.
Use the coax as a a coax and get bigger midbass. The biggest you are willing to fit. Cut that butch up bro. It's a jeep. She'll do fine.

· Registered
30 Posts
Personally, I would not use both the 5.25" and 4". They are going to both be playing most of the same frequency range, with the 5.25's playing a tad bit lower, and the 4's playing a tad bit higher.

If you have multiple speakers playing the same frequencies you are going to have a very difficult time getting things to sound good.
True, but he is thinking of running the 4" coax as "high" and the 5.25 as "mid", as his head unit allows. At least then more of the high notes will be up high vs the component 5.25 setup. But the tweeter in that coax might not be as nice as the one in the comp.

OP What's the model of your head unit?

· Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I would not use both the 5.25" and 4". They are going to both be playing most of the same frequency range, with the 5.25's playing a tad bit lower, and the 4's playing a tad bit higher. The ideal front setup in your case would be using the 5.25, and a tweeter, nothing else.

If you have multiple speakers playing the same frequencies you are going to have a very difficult time getting things to sound good. Your head unit is designed to run a 2-way front (plus sub) actively. The best chance you have for good sound quality is by using the 5.25, and a tweeter. The 5.25 will have a bit more bass than the 4" and will still play high enough to pair with the tweeter without leaving a gap in the frequency response.
Using the high/mid split from my head unit I was thinking I could separate the frequencies so they're not overlapping.

· Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use the coax as a a coax and get bigger midbass. The biggest you are willing to fit. Cut that butch up bro. It's a jeep. She'll do fine.
Hahahaha. I don't mind cutting up the right things, I'm just limited on tools and wouldn't even know where to start with putting in anything larger than 5.25s. I had to cut out some of the dash supports to get the 5.25s in. I have a pair of 6.5s in the sound bar that I wouldn't mind finding a home for in the dash if I can figure out how, though until then I might just run those off the HU itself for a little fill on recommendation of folks on here.

· Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True, but he is thinking of running the 4" coax as "high" and the 5.25 as "mid", as his head unit allows. At least then more of the high notes will be up high vs the component 5.25 setup. But the tweeter in that coax might not be as nice as the one in the comp.

OP What's the model of your head unit?
Exactly. Pioneer 2600NEX. Networking mode allows for control of LPF on sub, HPF/LPF on mids, and HPF on highs. I'm sure there's a shorter way of saying that. I'm going to wire my 4-channel from it's current front/back configuration to front tweeters/5.25s this weekend, but I'm really curious about including the 4"s if it would help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.