DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm having a hard time planning out what box I need.

I have a single IDM 12 v3 D2 that i want to hook up to my zapco c2k 6.0. I want to see how one goes and then maybe get a second.

I'm trying to stay with pure SQ but I don't want to lose too much db going with sealed. I listen to mostly fast music but there are times where i listen to music that goes deep.

What would you ppl recommend?

Here is the manual:
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/pdf/subwoofers/idmax/idmax12d2v3_specs.pdf

Should i just stick with sealed 1.3 cu? i have a sedan so room is not really a problem. Seems the max recommend sealed size is 1.52 cu?? Should I go bigger than 1.3 cu?

I have a friend who is a carpenter that can build the box, but I really can't make heads or tails from the manual.

For sealed i just make a cube of 1.3, and if it's one of those angled cubes i just subtract from the top piece and add to the bottom? as long as it equals 1.3 internal right?

I don't really understand what winisd is telling me, and I’m a bit lost with the vented design.

For vented I do the same thing as sealed but how do i make it tuned to a frequency? is that just the hole size and length of the pvc tube?

I think i would like to tune to 25hz if i went ported??

I have seen some facing the front that look cool when you pull the middle back seat down but is it better to face the back?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you go with ported box, then you need to make it 2.5 cuft each, then tune to 28hz.

the difference between 1.3 and 1.5 cuft sealed will make little difference. if you want it to play a little lower. go with the bigger box.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
They actually recommend 1.5 sealed, thats what I used and it sounded amazing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really they just note 1.3 sealed in the manual, how do you know they recommend 1.5? do you other people agree go for 1.5?

·
Registered
514 Posts
One question. I bought a second IDMAX12 but now have 2 different voice coil configurations. One is a dual 4 ohm and the other dual 2. I have no idea how that happened (pssst... I'm stupid).

Anyway, now I either have to sell one and buy another, or is it possible to use them both? If I wire both voicecoils on the dual 2 in series (4ohms) and then both voicecoils on the dual 4 in parallel (2ohms) I will get 1.34 ohms total according to my calculations.

Will this actually work or will I create some strange issues? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would think that the sub that's wired to 2Ω would receive twice the power from the amp as the sub wired to 4Ω because it's half of the resistance.

I haven't taken physics in awhile, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't a good idea.

If you put a FT ad in the classifieds you might be able to trade one for the other VC configuration.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why not wire in series it so there is one 4 ohm coil and one 2 ohm coil on each channel, giving you two 6 ohm loads?? That way all coils are wired, and the amp stays balanced between channels.

Or else wire them in parallel, giving you two 1.33 ohm loads.

Or, wire them as the first example, and then parallel the two six ohm loads, giving you one bridged channel at 3 ohms.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why not wire in series it so there is one 4 ohm coil and one 2 ohm coil on each channel, giving you two 6 ohm loads?? That way all coils are wired, and the amp stays balanced between channels.

Or else wire them in parallel, giving you two 1.33 ohm loads.

Or, wire them as the first example, and then parallel the two six ohm loads, giving you one bridged channel at 3 ohms.
Because then the 2Ω coil would be being pushed with twice the wattage as the 4Ω coil right? I've always been under the impression that you want all coils being driven equally.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
As far as I know, it is not good to use woofers with different voice coil config on the amp. Maybe someone with experties can chime in...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Because then the 2Ω coil would be being pushed with twice the wattage as the 4Ω coil right? I've always been under the impression that you want all coils being driven equally.
I'm pretty sure the amp sees it as a single load, not "a 4 ohm coil and a 2 ohm coil". The amp sees the overall load and that's what it's feeding. At least that's how all other electricity works- say you had a light fixture with 2 bulbs in it. One was 40 watts, the other was 100 watts. The outlet sees a 140watt draw, not the fact that the 100watter is using more of the energy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm pretty sure the amp sees it as a single load, not "a 4 ohm coil and a 2 ohm coil". The amp sees the overall load and that's what it's feeding. At least that's how all other electricity works- say you had a light fixture with 2 bulbs in it. One was 40 watts, the other was 100 watts. The outlet sees a 140watt draw, not the fact that the 100watter is using more of the energy.
That's the problem though. Once coil would be driven harder than the other. So each sub would have one coil being driven twice as hard as the other coil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a second idmax too,

when building a box for both is it better to separate the two with a piece of mdf

or is it better for them to both to use the same space?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Got a second idmax too,

when building a box for both is it better to separate the two with a piece of mdf

or is it better for them to both to use the same space?

A single chamber enclosure for both woofers will/can be smaller then a dual chamber. If using a single chamber enclosure and one woofer gets damaged, chances are that the second one will get damaged aswell...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts