DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little befuddled and would love some help. Just swapped out my 2 JL10W6V2D4's for an IDMax12d4 after much thought. Box is 1.5 cubes gross, sealed which I know is a little on the small size. Giving it about 700 watts from my old Orion amp.
My problem is that I'm a little underwhelmed with my output and pretty sure I've got something wrong. I don't want anything huge but the two 10" JL's were much stronger. I made the swap looking for a little better SQ thinking I might sacrifice a little output. But I lost a lot! Is it most likely box size or under powering?

·
Registered
42 Posts
your sure there are no leaks in the box u have the IDMAX in?
Could u have it wired wrong?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
IDK, you had more cone area with the 10s and the 10W6 subs are excellent in the SQ department. I think you will have to go ported with the IDMAX or run more power. (can't they take more than 700W?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was so surprised I immediately thought I must have really spaced and wired the coils in series. Sadly, that's not it (would have been the easy fix.) Shouldn't be leaking; it's the same box with added seal while I had it out.
Perhaps the only other thing worth mentioning is there is very little clearance between the rear of the sub and my box. It's that weird space in Dodge quads under the back seat. I built a box and had to raise the seat two inches to clear.
Eric has said they don't need any clearance...
With the JL's I had my gain waaaay down and was more than happy with output. Now I'm at 2/3 and just passable. I guess you shouldn't fix what isn't broken but none of us are ever done, right? I DO like hearing a little more bottom in it. The 10's seemed to quit sooner.
The final load with the 10's was 1 ohm. Everything I've seen from years with my amp says I went from around 1100 for the two 10's to 700 for the one 12.
Hmmmm... Any other thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, they can take more power but I've seen guys here running them with everything from 400 to 1200 and also seen more re-cone threads than I'd like. :) Thought I'd be safe and adequate with 700. Might be the whole issue, though, and should have gone with dual 2's.

Also, please don't make this a JL vs ID thing- that's been done a lot here. :) Just trying to fix my current issue.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
You replaced two VERY good 10s with a single very good 12, you're GOING to be be disappointed. You gave up a crap ton of cone area. You either need to go ported, add another sub, or go back to the 10s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts