DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Eric Stevens recommends 1.5cuft sealed or 2.5cuft ported @ 28/30hz

But a local installer is saying I should do 1.8cuft ported @ 32hz.

I'm more inclined to listen to Eric Stevens, just wondering why this installer is recommending these specs...

Car is just a regular sized sedan, will be going in trunk; power will be between 550-900 RMS (haven't picked amp yet). Mainly listen to electronic, synthpop, rock, indie, and hip-hop.

What would the sonic differences be between a 1.8cuft ported @ 32hz vs a 2.5cuft ported @ 28hz or 30hz?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would stick with eric Stevens box. 1.8cuft is way too small. with that setup you will peak at 50hz and 3dB down point of 34 hz. gonna be really loud if that is all your want. but will be a bit of a one note wonder. kinda pointless to buy an SQL sub like the idmax and then run it full SPL mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding. I don't want it to be peaky or sound boomy, definitely prefer as flat as possible. Did you get those numbers from a program like winisd?

I'm going to have to decide between 2.5cuft ported @ 28hz or 1.5cuft sealed. I've read through a bazillion threads across the web but I still can't decide.

I'm really into electronic music right now and some dubstep. I probably can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ya, good ol winISD.

sealed will have a smoother rolloff than ported, but it will start to roll off sooner (higher freq) my preferance is always ported. you get about 6dB free in the passband and if you properly design the box and use an SSF, will sound better than sealed, IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say that ported sounds better than sealed to you, can you describe the sound, ignoring the fact that ported will sound louder.

Will it sound tighter, faster, smoother, more dynamic, more impactful, more tactile, wetter or dryer? Haha, its so hard to describe sound.

I wish there was a box where you could press a button and switch between ported and sealed on the fly.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
When you say that ported sounds better than sealed to you, can you describe the sound, ignoring the fact that ported will sound louder.

Will it sound tighter, faster, smoother, more dynamic, more impactful, more tactile, wetter or dryer? Haha, its so hard to describe sound.

I wish there was a box where you could press a button and switch between ported and sealed on the fly.
ya, describing sound is tough, lol. to me a ported box sounds more dynamic and has a warmer low end. and as you mentioned, certainly louder for a given wattage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I gotta ask since it has been a while since you posted and I have just bought the same speakers. What was the end result.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
this was 1 1/2 years ago...........look at the post count, he never came back, lol.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
A 10 inch IDMAX may be a better idea for a ported box if you don't want a very big box. What's the ported box spec for 10 inch IDMAX?

·
Registered
686 Posts
A 10 inch IDMAX may be a better idea for a ported box if you don't want a very big box. What's the ported box spec for 10 inch IDMAX?
I have an IDMAX 10 and am looking for recommendations for a ported (slot) enclosure, in case anyone has thoughts of tuning frequency and box size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts