DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a brand new IDQ from a guy off craigslist put it in a box that was 1.25 cubes with some 2x4's taking it down to .9-1 cubic foot. i checked all day for leaks im sure its its 100% sealed. it sound great at low to medium volumes but as soon as i crank it any i get and slapping/rattling noise coming directly from the sub. amp is a alpine mrp-m500 with digital controls. gain is at 0db and output level is -10db. i have been having problems with the amp shutting off at high volumes with the IDQ. Not sure what the problem is with that. i was pushing 2 re sr10's at full power without a problem a few days ago. wiring is dual 2/0 welding wire and 2 ground points 2ft of 2/0 to the chassie and a 4 guage run to - side of the batt. voltage reads 13.9-14 when truck is running. IDQ is dual 4 ohm wired in parallel to 2 ohm. i have speaker wire from VC 1 to VC 2 ++ / -- and then wired to the box from 1 VC +/- .

I pushed down on the cone outside the box and i feel it barely tap something unless i push slow absolutely directly in the center of the sub.

IDEAS? sub is fuked? amp is fuked?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Check to see if the wiring you use to run parallel is interfering with the cone.

Wouldnt explain the amp shutting off. Is it properly vented and how high are the gains? Ground ok?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ground is good i have 2 other amps running off the same ground. box is sealed. wiring is good. i need to test the VC's ohm reading. the gain settings are weird on this alpine mrd-m500 amp its all digital and has input selection of -24db-0db and gain of 0db +6db +9db i have it at -10 and 0db

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
ground is good i have 2 other amps running off the same ground. box is sealed. wiring is good. i need to test the VC's ohm reading. the gain settings are weird on this alpine mrd-m500 amp its all digital and has input selection of -24db-0db and gain of 0db +6db +9db i have it at -10 and 0db
Not familiar with that kind of input sensitivity setup. Turn it up and lower the input to -24 to see if it goes away. Then work on the gain. I dont know that amp so I cant help. If you could try another amp to see if its the amp or sub, thats a good idea.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a JL 1000/1 on the way but i need another sub. ill be ordering another IDQ tuesday hook them both up and see if there is a difference i guess.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
i have a JL 1000/1 on the way but i need another sub. ill be ordering another IDQ tuesday hook them both up and see if there is a difference i guess.
You may be over exerting the woofer. Lower the input sensitivity.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried -25 / 0 +6 and +9 and its still doing it. the sub must have been defective i broke it in for a week at low-mid volumes before trying to bump it any. i didnt even know it had a problem until yesterday a week after i installed it because i didnt turn it up.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
tinsel slap?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i doubt it. the tinsels are tucked in really well woven to the spider and wont hit until completely bottomed out.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I give up

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha thanks for the help. im gonna get a reading from the vc's with a good dmm then try a new one from woofersetc in a couple days..

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
from my experiance....that sound either comes from a sub overexerting itself or clipping. Does the amp have a clipping indicator? When I was around 16-17 I was a sub pounder
:-( . For the longest time I would hear a sound like that when I cranked it...had no idea that I was clipping like once every 10 seconds. Looking back, I have no idea how that amp, or subs survived.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
ohh and there are some dirtballs that sell stuff on craigslist so It would be no surprise if you got hosed. Get with a friend who has no issues with his setup and hook up ure sub....

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
haha thanks for the help. im gonna get a reading from the vc's with a good dmm then try a new one from woofersetc in a couple days..
Not sure what the problem is. Inspect the driver very closely and look for anything that is not right. If the amp is clipping it can sound very metallic in some instances but this is usually from low input voltage, you can check the input voltage right at the amp while playing to verify everything is good power wise.

If it is making noise at high excursion you can try to re-align the voice coil as shown here Recone Of The Idmax And Idq V.3 - Image Dynamics Forums

Use strips of file folder cut about 1" x 8" total thickness about .015"

Eric

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Could it be that your dust cap is loose? I'm not familiar with the IDQs, but I've seen subwoofers in the past where the dust cap was not glued on adequately and it would "slap" or buzz at high output. This seems to fit your description, so check that out if you still have the sub. You can test by gently moving the cone in and out without touching the dust cap. If you don't get the same noise, then bingo!

·
Registered
226 Posts
You may be over exerting the woofer. Lower the input sensitivity.
Yeah I'd say it's this. Mine sounds great until I give it too much power than I can hear the slapping so I back it down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts