DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting 2 idq12v3d2 in a ported or sealed box....any suggestions....ill use WINisd to calculate.....I like tight punchy bass for sure...if ported loses that then ill have to go sealed but I've don't have experience with ported boxes...anyways...if you all say ported is the way to go, I'll go about making a ported box.....also is winisd a quality tool to use?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I like winISD. like any simulator it will get you most of the way there. I have always had good results with it.

my preferance is always been ported boxes. built correctly bass can be very tight and punchy and you gain about 6dB down tot he tuning point over a sealed box. where you lose is box size, since they are about 2X the size. you also will lose for freq under the tuning point as power handling under that point is poor.

·
Registered
834 Posts
IB? :idea2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok ok good thought def will consider ported if my trunk space allows......IB i know nothing about performance wise or how to begin in the trunk of my Honda accord

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
IB? :idea2:
I agree

Ok ok good thought def will consider ported if my trunk space allows......IB i know nothing about performance wise or how to begin in the trunk of my Honda accord
Performance: Woofer will be smoother in response and extend lower than either ported or sealed. You will need less power to reach max excursion.

Make a board to the outline of the opening behind the seat using cardboard (make sure it is really close with no large gaps). Cut a piece of 3/4 MDF to the shape of your cardboard. Make sure the sub won't it the back seat, if so recess the front with another piece of 3/4 mdf. Secure the board either to cross braces (some cars have this) or to the top (edge of package shelf) and bottom (trunk floor) using L-brackets so it is secure and doesn't move. Seal the edges to the metal using Dynamat or something similar to create the best possible seal between the trunk and cabin. If you have any speakers removed form your package shelf or large holes, seal them as well. Mount the sub to the board facing the back seat and carpet the back of the baffle...you are done. And it weighs much less than most boxes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How much power do you have?
and if i was you i would keep it sealed,for a flat response,in your case you have 2 of them so kick wont be an issue,go for sealed,if it would have been one of them then Ported is the way to go

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Got about 1k to drive both of them at 2 ohms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Thats one big ass box in the trunk of your accord. Just a once over in winisd it about 5 foot:eek: at 30 hz.

·
Registered
834 Posts
...or 6" deep if you go IB. Hm..;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol ya that is huge im gonna start off with 1 idq ported that's looking bout 2.5^3 ft ...still big

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I wouldn't feel comfortable running a ported subwoofer box unless someone designed it for my car's acoustics. Does XtremeRevloution still provide help with modeling sub boxes? Maybe you could ask him?

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
i recommend sealed 1 cubic foot per sub seperate chambers. 1k is plenty i run mine on 1200 and it is awesome

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have a idq12 sealed in my car right now and i swear i push that thing with like 5 to 600 watts....on the box it said 350 rms which i know is underrated but im a lil worried about killin my sub.....anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
what amp are you using

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
i have a idq12 sealed in my car right now and i swear i push that thing with like 5 to 600 watts....on the box it said 350 rms which i know is underrated but im a lil worried about killin my sub.....anyone?
If it's not broken.. just keep enjoying the good sound. If you overdrive the subwoofer, it will probably become audible. The 600watts rating is for continuous output. Normal music is dynamic, and peaks are short lived, unless you listen a lot of rap and something more SPL oriented.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd port them I have two of them sealed off a SAX-1200D. Output wise they're pretty loud, but they honestly don't drop that low. I'm using this as reference but in "Put On" by Young Jeezy they pretty much miss the 3rd and 4th note in that first bass line.

·
Registered
834 Posts
^...too small of a sealed box. Mine will play that 4th note ALLLLL DAY :D

Sorry. Just felt like rubbing it in a bit as everyone hates on the W6

1 - 20 of 20 Posts