DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm highly considering the addition of a IDQ15 to take place of my Tempest 15. I love my tempest more than anything in my setup, I think, but it just needs too large of an enclosure to get good results.

I know for sure the Tempest has enough output capabilities for my uses, i just don't really know for sure if the IDQ15 will. I've heard rave reviews on the SQ of it, but i feel like i'm almost torn between it and some other 15 of some sort, that dosent require such a large box.....And i'm talking something in the 3cf max region. Something i can easily encorporate into my setup, and still be more than happy with output capabilities and have tremendous SQ. I'd love to do around 135 at least, so it could suit my spl needs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you ever considered Atomic. After all they manufacture some top quality subs for many car audio companies. You'd be surprised who they manufacture for. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
531 Posts
have you tried stuffing the absolute hell out of the box you have the tempest in now? with the extra linear throw the tempest has over the idq....it shouldn't have a problem delving deeper with more authority....

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not the sound that i'm having problems with, its the weight of the larger box, as well as getting a 4.5cf box with spare to look half decent in the back of my tC. I should stuff it some before i change it out if anything.

I love the way it sounds though, just considered a smaller box sub.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
We have the Arc Audio 15 in our tC, flush with the rear floor, took a bit of persuasion to shape the bottom of the wire well. The box is built from glass which could be rather thin due to the reformed floor being very stiff and the top and sides are baltic birch, internally braced, braces drilled for liteness, etc. This enclosure is very stiff, 2.2 cubes and only weighs 20 lbs empty. Three amps, the sub, wiring, etc, only gained 10 lbs over stock total weight by running no spare and smaller muffler in the middle of the soon to be turboed car.

First time we fired it up, musical bass competition, 2 minute average SPL, again ON MUSIC, we scored 138.4 db. :):)

During the comp it was louder just under clipping, when turned up just a tad into clipping the SPL would drop a dB or so, lowered back down and the SPL would come back up again, hit as high as 140.2 part of the time.

We have a Flatline 12 to try next, expect it to sound even better but not get quite as loud, net weight will be about the same due to a bit smaller enclosure, probably 1.3 to 1.5 cubes. Playing with the idea of ported though so would be about the same size box as now.

If we do go with the Flatline just may sell the 15 enclosure and sub, that would not happen for some time down the road, just no time to play with it for awhile.

Anyway, I would go with the Arc or the flatline(may lose a couple of dBs but not way to tell until you do it. One thing though, upfiring from the floor level really couples well with the car, dang sweet sounding and loud as hell!! (we have never tried a tone burst, just music SPL average)

Rick

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick i know your not too up to pictures but if you happen to have any pictures of what you did or your box and sub, i'd really like to see them.

Also what would the ARC or Flatline go for? I'm on a fairly stiff budget if i decide to switch them out as i'm not selling the tempest i have now, i want to add it to the one i already have in the house :)

I have about [email protected] 4ohms. But i also have another 2.400 on its way, so i could have another 500rms @ 4ohms on it as well. (not exactly sure if they can be strapped), but i had planned that amp for midbass duty.

BTW Rick not sure if you would know or not, but how many amps of draw can be safe with the tC. It looks like i may have around 210A at may draw b/w the 3 of my amps.

Also i checked out the link on the Page you gave me CamX, and that sounds phenominal for the MEd or Large size sealed. 14hz and 16hz -3db points.....As far as WinISD lets me know, right now my -3db point is at 37hz....but i know that isint quite right as its just a program.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
How feasable would a Avalanche 15 be....With 500rms, i really think a high excursion sub that would work well in a small sealed box like this would be ideal for my situation. Ascendant Audio's website says 2.2cf with 800rms for a .707Q. I'm sure a good 3cf with 500rms would work pretty well right? For 500rms and a .577Q 4cf is what they recommend. So would the say 3cf box and 500rms do pretty well....I know i wouldn't be pushing it to its limits but i wasn't intending to push any sub i get to its limits....just enough for my uses, i'm not trying to win any SPL compititons....

Where could i find mabey a used Ava 12 or 15? As i've heard alot of good things about these subs and there low end is supposed to be very nice. I think it would fit my bill nicely, Any ideas where i could get the old xlb^2 ava 12 or 15, i really think the 12 would be enough for me as well, but i just like the idea of haveing a 15 and the extra cone advantage as well.

BTW can anyone help me out with decifering the Q amounts....i know .707 is ideal Sealed response....but what would .9 and .5 act like in terms of sound....?

Right now i find myself wanting to get a new sub really bad. Main reason to get a smaller box, and have the ability to make the rear of my car a very clean install, Sure i love my tempest, thats why i'm going to keep it, for use with its twin in the house. But i'm split b/w so many good woofers out there that i don't really know what would be ideal for me, and my application. And i don't really have the money to spend to get a new one, untill i can sell off my Profile CL1200, and 2 Rockford HE2 12's.....but i couldn't sell them if i wanted.......no one will take them, i've gotten a few bites at my CL1200 but they have all been people trying to scam me, saying there sending money my way.....but never gets to me, and they never care to let me know there backing out. If i could sell them i could easily i'm sure find a sub that would replace my tempest in my car and sound awesome......but i'm mixed in feelings becasue i like the sound of my tempest....minus its 60hz rise, but i feel the need to get a different sub that will work better in smaller boxes, and sound just as good as my tempest. As well as having a smaller box i can glass the sub into the side of my hatch area and make the rear pretty aestheticall pleasing again, instead of having just a plain box sitting back there unfinished with 5-8" gaps on each side of it where you can see dampening materal.

Would an IDMAX 12, or IDQ 15 work well for what i want with [email protected]? I'm not really happy with 12's as they seem boring to me, 15 being alot more exciting, as around my area you don't really see them that often, and i just like the extra cone advantage as well.

Anything i look at will need to be used so that i can personally afford it, and possibly new if i can sell off some of my old stuff i've been trying to sell forever. I know ebay would sell it, but i don't know how to set up an ebay seller account. Sorry for the long post, i just find myself wanting something and feeling like i can't get away from wanting it....and not being able to do anything about it because i can't sell anything i already own. So i'm a little frustrated, well not a little but alot.

I think i'm just looking for a nice 15" sub that dosent take a very big box, that would work well with [email protected] and be very SQ oriented but still can get me up around 135-140db, But with a very nice low end, and all around awesome sounding sub. Be it ARC, ID, Adire, or any of the other companies out there that make quality inexpensive products. Just too many out there to pick one specifically and think i'll be satisfied. As i keep finding myself doubting my choices....

·
Registered
100 Posts
demon2091tb said:
I think i'm just looking for a nice 15" sub that dosent take a very big box, that would work well with [email protected] and be very SQ oriented but still can get me up around 135-140db, But with a very nice low end, and all around awesome sounding sub. Be it ARC, ID, Adire, or any of the other companies out there that make quality inexpensive products. Just too many out there to pick one specifically and think i'll be satisfied. As i keep finding myself doubting my choices....

wow, you sound exactly like me...ive got 500w to work with, and i want the same things you want....SQ but a good hit, without a huge amount of space taken up.....bump for maybe a new reply.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Awesome sounding sub requires good tuning... pretty much any of the subs you listed will do the job. If you have a very discriminating ear and can actually hear subbass distortion, I'd go with a low distortion high output sub like w7, brahma, avalanche, etc.

It's funny because I think when most people say they are looking for a sub that will have "the best sound quality", what they really mean is give me something that will sound awesome with no tuning/setup required.... not something that's low distortion. And then it's really a hit and miss until you find something that works in your car/install, which is different from the next guy's install... and then you have a huge difference of opinion on what sub's are actually good.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
its really all about experimenting or we wouldn't need forums in a perfect car audio world

1 - 14 of 14 Posts