DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This dual voice coil stuff always confused me .... Stock speaker is 2x2 ohms ...

Stock amp send 2 pairs of positive and negative wires to this speaker (4 wires total = 2 pos, 2 neg).
  1. What ohm load is the OEM amp expecting from each individual pair of wires?
  2. Can I replace the OEM 2x2 ohm speaker with an aftermarket 4 ohm speaker? And how would I use the 4 total wires? Would I only use one pair or all four pairs? What is the best practice here
2019 VW GTI SE w/ Fender Audio Package

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long term this 4 wire into the door for a single speaker seems like a gift, because once I get around to replacing the factory amplifier with my aftermarket one that means I'll have an extra pair of wires for a 3.5" midrange without having to cut up the door harness.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Is the OEM speaker a coax, with a tweeter inside? I suspect that it's not a dual voice coil, but a coaxial.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the OEM speaker a coax, with a tweeter inside? I suspect that it's not a dual voice coil, but a coaxial.
Pretty certain it's a midrange only - the tweeter is located in the A pillar. But ya I don't know why it has 4 wires going to it and why it is labeled "2x2 ohm".

I see people casually replace this and double up the pos and neg wires - I actually want to be educated and understand what the meaning of this is lol

Alternative shot from above

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you have a dmm? If you have continuity probing both + wires fron the plug I'd assume its running parallel and is a 1ohm load on the factory amp.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a dmm? If you have continuity probing both + wires fron the plug I'd assume its running parallel and is a 1ohm load on the factory amp.
Haven't taken the door apart yet to try something like that. Wanted to do everything right the first time I remove the panel and never remove it again :p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Buy extra panel clips, things hardly ever go smoothly and some may break. Either 4 ohm or 1 ohm if each coil is actually 2 ohm. With 4 wires being on the plug, I'm leaning towards a 1ohm load. You can run a 4 ohm speaker, just won't get as much power from the factory amp. If you're running your own amplifier it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy extra panel clips, things hardly ever go smoothly and some may break. Either 4 ohm or 1 ohm if each coil is actually 2 ohm. With 4 wires being on the plug, I'm leaning towards a 1ohm load. You can run a 4 ohm speaker, just won't get as much power from the factory amp. If you're running your own amplifier it really doesn't matter.
Ya I'm being idealistic haha. Good reminder I was going to buy A pillar clips and should probably source door panel clips as well.

First step of many in the plan is to sound deaden + replace the OEM front door speaker with an aftermarket 2ohm or 4ohm. During transition there will be a period of time where I'm still running off the factory amplifier while I at least get the doors finished.

Would there be an issue doubling up the wires or would you want to use only one pair? Doubling up is how I see most of these harness set up (link 1) (link 2) and that's what I see most folks doing

·
Registered
201 Posts
No issue since in the end it seems that's what happens at the factory amplifier. Just more copper for the power to flow through. My old car had a rear deck woofer the same way with 4 wires. It was an 8 inch 4ohm dvc woofer. The amp would see it as a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
It looks to me that it's a coax speaker, 2 wires go to the woofer, and 2 go to the tweeter. It's not a dual voice coil, it's 2 separate drivers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It looks to me that it's a coax speaker, 2 wires go to the woofer, and 2 go to the tweeter. It's not a dual voice coil, it's 2 separate drivers.
I don't see it man. It looks like a plastic dust cap the same material as the cone. He mentioned a tweeter on the sail.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ that's my impression as well on the door driver in the pic plus that there's tweeters in the A pillars :)

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
I don't see it man. It looks like a plastic dust cap the same material as the cone. He mentioned a tweeter on the sail.
Hmm, I don't know why they would do a dual voice coil, but it's looking like that's what it is. So, yeah, it's either 4 or 1 ohm, and if it was wired it series to 4 ohms, there'd be no need for 4 wires on the harness. I'd be interested in dismantling one to see what's going on in there. A 1ohm speaker just doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Most of these "premium" car audio systems are run by tiny amps. They rely on low resistance high efficiency speakers usually to get it to sound loud enough and decent. Bose, HK, and quite a few more do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Could this be.... 4 wires total... 2 wires power this speaker as pictured, then the other 2 wires are a pass through to another speaker, like your tweeter? (this is how Ford wired my front doors) Just a question, is that possible? So one set of wires go to this speaker, the the other ones go the tweeter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts