DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been thinking over my car install and thinking how I could have done it cheaper or better or both.

I've thought it over and there is no doubt, I overpaid dramatically to add midbass authority to my doors. The ZR800-CW's are badass, no doubt but pricey at even the discount price of $275 shipped for the pair. And my door mod cost me like $450. That's an enormous amount to pay for kick butt midbass. Don't get me wrong. I love the results. The doors absolutely rock.

However, I think I could have nixed having fiberglass done and did the door mod completely myself.

How would I have done my '07 Sentra doors different?

Midbasses = I would have gone with Tangband 6x9" subs then modded my door myself with some ring spacers.

Sure, there would be only a slight drop in sheer output, but it would have been close and saved me hundreds of bucks, not to mention kept my door install completely reversable.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
The obligatory answer to the posted query in a Tspence thread is, of course, "your Mom."

Having said that, and yes I SEARCHED, I should have glued more sheet lead to my windshield to mass load it from vibrating tweeter waves that hit it all the time. :blush: I'll never fricken figure this out.........

*cat pics time!*

;)

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
I would have never purchased the Infinity Kappas that are currently in my Mustang. I am about to do it over because they are coming out as soon as I finish my last tax return!

I am replacing the oddly phased Ford Shaker 500 "subwoofers" with some Mach5 Audio MLI-65s and my door Infinity Kappas with Alpine tweeters. I am also going fully active while I am at it :eek: I am going to start with a Coustic XM6 and later replace that with an Alpine 9887 or Pioneer 800PRS.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you finally realized what many people told you all along......
I got seduced by the ZR800-CW's. I had to have them back then. Now, I think I could have come close enough at a cheaper price without needing to completely jackover the door to fit my midbasses. Too late now and don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my midbass but the reconstruction of the door is irreversible.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I got seduced by the ZR800-CW's. I had to have them back then. Now, I think I could have come close enough at a cheaper price without needing to completely jackover the door to fit my midbasses. Too late now and don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my midbass but the reconstruction of the door is irreversible.
This is an "I told you so" moment for so many of us...

I can't believe you started this thread. This is a perfect example to all of the people looking for advice...

Take the advice and don't start threads if you just want to argue why your decision is going to be a good one!

Reminds me of an Alanis Morisette song... "It's like rain, on your wedding day. The good advice that you just can't take" ISN'T IT IRONIC!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
marketing victum

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Okay, TSpence, now that you've realized that everything you knew before is wrong, you can hopefully start learning what's really happening in your car.

Most of us have said it for a very long time. You don't need to spend money to get great results. You need to apply practical knowledge.

You also need to understand your sources for that knowledge. If they're trying to sell you something, then be leary. $450.00 for your doors is insane. No doubt, you were "sold" that idea.

Now, take a step back and learn what's really practical, and save yourself a ton of money.

You see many of us going to war against purveyors of conventional car audio wisdom. You see us go against very high profile car audio names. This is because they're just trying to sell you something.

Now that you've learned your lesson, maybe you can stop arguing, and beating your own chest, and actually learn something valuable.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I would not have bought enough equipment to completely install three different vehicles to the max.....though it did (will) yield great results through auditioning.

Now I have two complete car audio systems in my garage, some new in box....staring at me in the face!

LOL

1 - 20 of 64 Posts