DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it’s not that crazy but I bet you will never find a deal this sweet ever again.

aluminum cone so better for a car than paper… AND 4 ohm… if I could fit the depth I would be all over these in a heartbeat for my doors…

QTS does not matter… with that much excursion it’s beyond the point of the roll off mattering much IMO.

$239/each brand new!! That’s $100 off per driver!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Does the aluminum cone impact sound? I have just never run a driver with a aluminum cone so dont know how it compares sounds wise.

Also assume this would be used as part of a 3 way, not 2 way? I am not sure where the upper end cut off would land with this.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Does the aluminum cone impact sound? I have just never run a driver with a aluminum cone so dont know how it compares sounds wise.
Yes...usually it mean you will need to use steep slopes and are limited to how high you can play the driver.
In the case of this guy it has rather huge break up around 6.5 to 7k and on up.
It's down over 10db at 4k but over 100db dB at 6.5k.
If you cross it before 2.5 with a steep slope you may never hear it.
But you also may end up having to push the xover down to 1.5 or 2k depending on how loud you listen.
Where as with the paper version the break up still happens but can be negated with a 12db slope or slightly higher xover. The 7inch would be well into beaming at that point so its kinda a non issue. Either way. The aluminum cone just makes it a harder driver to work with on the top end.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I think as a pure midbass it is a much better option over the paper cone, especially if putting in a door.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes...usually it mean you will need to use steep slopes and are limited to how high you can play the driver.
In the case of this guy it has rather huge break up around 6.5 to 7k and on up.
It's down over 10db at 4k but over 100db dB at 6.5k.
If you cross it before 2.5 with a steep slope you may never hear it.
But you also may end up having to push the xover down to 1.5 or 2k depending on how loud you listen.
Where as with the paper version the break up still happens but can be negated with a 12db slope or slightly higher xover. The 7inch would be well into beaming at that point so its kinda a non issue. Either way. The aluminum cone just makes it a harder driver to work with on the top end.
exactly the top breaks up earlier… but a lot of people who can cross lower like aluminum cones. Sometimes people say they have more impact…

I would think you could definitely use this in a 2 way with a tweeter that crosses low but even better would be using this guy in a 3 way.

There literally is no 6.5” midbass in the world I would rather have than these.. but I just can’t fit the depth…

But an Audiofrog GB60 or the scanspeak gold 6.5 are both pretty good… But they both have 5mm-6mm xmax compared to this guys like 9mm or something silly plus this guy has insanely low distortion…

I can’t believe the price

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have Anarchy 704 midbass in my door now, but plan on moving to vented kick panels. Still trying to pick a new midbass that would be suited for that application

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Anarchy 704 midbass in my door now, but plan on moving to vented kick panels. Still trying to pick a new midbass that would be suited for that application
Well this one is suited for almost anything - if you can fit it… I can fit the depth but my window would hit one of the 3 support structure pieces when rolled down…

I am contemplating cutting one of the three and hopefully it still works ok :) I mean it’s stout cast aluminum I bet it would still work…

Or I could cut it and braze a new support on that’s U shaped so there is a slot for my window to fit into…

seems crazy but I’m actually plotting a way to do it….

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just took the plunge. Gotta replace the Daytons in my doors. Good speakers but the midbass is just too ‘meh’. I just realized that my old Boston Acoustic sub kinda masked my midbass problem and blended really well with them but this SQL-12 I have now is not made to play nice with weak midbass speakers.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I can fit the depth but my window would hit one of the 3 support structure pieces when rolled down…

I am contemplating cutting one of the three and hopefully it still works ok :) I mean it’s stout cast aluminum I bet it would still work…
Well this IS diyma, but I kinda hope you mean just notch it a little !!!!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Well this one is suited for almost anything - if you can fit it… I can fit the depth but my window would hit one of the 3 support structure pieces when rolled down…
Or, since there are only 3, twist so that the 2 are on the top, off to the sides. Also, you can mount so the window rolls down above the voice coil. Just protect the speaker from water with those foam rain guard things.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I emailed them and they honored the sell price. I'll prolly buy the tweeters from there too now. They done me a solid for sure!
Thats pretty cool i have heard of them doing that before. What a deal

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I can confirm. They honored the sale price when I emailed. That was the day after the sale though not sure how lenient they are this far out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts