DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the parts buying stage. I've got a JL e6450 and a PG Xenon X600.1 that I bought a few years ago to go 4-way. I've never even used the JL. I just bought some Mpyre 65Ms for midbass, RS100s, and the tweeters are still up in the air.

Here's my dilemma. I had originally bought RS180s which would have been fine on the power the JL puts out. My problem is, the Mpyres need lots of power (150wrms). I'm thinking I probably need to sell the JL and buy a 2x150-200w amp for the midbass, and a 4x50-100w for the mids and tweets. I'm also worried about overpowering the RS100s as their only rated 30wrms.

What should I do?

A) Sell the JL, buy another 2 and 4-channel amp. PG, JL, ???

B) Keep the JL, and buy another 2-channel amp...JL 300/2, PG X200.2, ???

Whichever option I choose, I need help choosing amps...I dont have a TON of money to spend, but I want to do it right. I'm looking for the best bang-for-the-buck. I'd much rather spend $250 for 1 new amp, than $500+ for 2.

Another concern I have is...If I run a mix of different types/brands of amps for my midbass/mids/tweets, will I run into problems the the levels varying at different volumes due to the power supply/regulation differences between the amps?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I should add an option

C) Keep the JL and the RS180 instead of the Mpyre 65Ms.

I just want to get this all ironed out. I've still got to get a HU when I've settled on the components. That's also a tough decision.

·
Registered
343 Posts
you could bridge chans of the e6450 for th emidbass and run other chans to tweets and buy something like this for mids A2150 - JL Audio 2 Ch Full-Range Amplifier

this s the a series....can be found cheaper on ebay...e series can be found even cheaper.

just a thought.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had though about bridging the e6450 for the midbass'...that's probably the way to go. And those A2150s are going for around $130 shipped right now on ebay.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
you don't always need to give a speaker the same amount of power as the rating.

its fine to go under, and can be fine to go over.

Heck, I'm giving my RS180s 5 watts a peice...

Install what you have before you buy more stuff, if you feel you need more power on the midbass then give them more power.

·
Registered
343 Posts
you don't always need to give a speaker the same amount of power as the rating.

its fine to go under, and can be fine to go over.

Heck, I'm giving my RS180s 5 watts a peice...

Install what you have before you buy more stuff, if you feel you need more power on the midbass then give them more power.
I think everyone is giving their speakers 5 watts....even power off the headunit is at least 5 watts.

And yes I understand "fragibility" of the zuki amps. Some people may not . This doesn't really help people but could confuse them. info on what falkenbd is talking about Zuki Audio Eleets 4-Channel Amp Review

But, I do agree that the OP should try what he has first and see if he likes it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Its a different kind of 5 watts...

The point I'm trying to make is, don't put too much stake in those speaker ratings, especially if you already have equipment. TRY what you have before you spend more money.

Judging by the fact that it sounds you like bought this stuff before and never used it, it sounds like that could happen again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Its a different kind of 5 watts...

The point I'm trying to make is, don't put too much stake in those speaker ratings, especially if you already have equipment. TRY what you have before you spend more money.

Judging by the fact that it sounds you like bought this stuff before and never used it, it sounds like that could happen again.
Agreed :) just thought I'd clarify.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got alot of stuff to try...

RS180-4
Mpyre 65M
RS125S-8
RS100-4
Audax TM025F1

I just ordered a DIYMA R12 which will be powered by my PG X600.1

I definitely need to sell the Audax tweets and the RS125s, because they won't fit where I want them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I bought all this stuff back in '06 when I was just getting into the DIY stuff.

I DID end up using the PG amp and the RE SE12 that I bought at the same time as the other stuff. I just got bogged down with all the other projects I had going at the same time on my S10 and decided to sell it before I put the rest of the equipment in it. I had the kicks and doors ready to install everything, but I was trying to reupholster and paint the entire interior, and do body work at the same time.

I just bought this car back in June, and I'm ready to put some nice components in it.

My wife and I are expecting a baby girl in July so I'm trying to hurry and get this done before then.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm running a JL 6450 bridged down to 4 channels. It's presently running a set of Boston Pro 6.5's active. Trust me, it's plenty of power even for a power hungry component set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts