DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
181 - 200 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
They make things called bags. They also make some just for tools. Some just for books too.
Makes it easy to move and to find stuff. And seems to save some space.
Mine also seems to like to sit beside my sub box. In a car I drive uber in. 2...3 hours away. Chevy cruze. Also turbo charged.
Mostly I just see a bunch of rags taking up space where a sub could be. With a nice bag of rags....and the tools you might need to to tighten that clamp....they fit in bags too.
There are multiple solutions for your car. You just don't want them.
Is this really Koontz in a more sophisticated form?
What the heck is a Chevy Cruze? I think what I mean by a turbo car and what you mean are quite a bit different. I mean the honda civics they sell nowadays are turbocharged. My turbo is probably about as big as your engine. Lol. With that kind of pressure an hp going on, it’s a good idea to keep A few things with you that auto parts stores don’t keep in stock. Please stop trying to convince me to rearrange my whole lifestyle because you want me to put bigger subs in or make slot more bass than I’m after. We went other this in the past. I don’t want all that.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
What the heck is a Chevy Cruze? I think what I mean by a turbo car and what you mean are quite a bit different. I mean the honda civics they sell nowadays are turbocharged. My turbo is probably about as big as your engine. Lol. With that kind of pressure an hp going on, it’s a good idea to keep A few things with you that auto parts stores don’t keep in stock. Please stop trying to convince me to rearrange my whole lifestyle because you want me to put bigger subs in or make slot more bass than I’m after. We went other this in the past. I don’t want all that.
Sir....my chevy cruze does a 10 second .25 mile.
1.4 liter. I believe my intake might be able to suck your life up.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,092 Posts
What a long thread! It’s really very simple.
You need bigger subs or at least subs designed for IB or that have specs better for IB.
Even then going under 30hz with small subs isn’t likely.

Have you mentioned if you are using a dsp? You have phase issues is why you have bass with some then others you turn it up and it gets no louder

I guarantee you have phase issues. Even guysthat are full active using dsp like I do have phase issues. If you aren’t doing anything to address this nothing is going to help. There is absolutely zero chance you can slap subs in a non active system and have nophase issues. Impossible

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
What a long thread! It’s really very simple.
You need bigger subs or at least subs designed for IB or that have specs better for IB.
Even then going under 30hz with small subs isn’t likely.

Have you mentioned if you are using a dsp? You have phase issues is why you have bass with some then others you turn it up and it gets no louder

I guarantee you have phase issues. Even guysthat are full active using dsp like I do have phase issues. If you aren’t doing anything to address this nothing is going to help. There is absolutely zero chance you can slap subs in a non active system and have nophase issues. Impossible
Funny you should ask about a dsp. I'm shopping for one right now. It's almost impossible to find what I'm looking for under $500. I do have a dsp on the subs only, called a dsp-LP made by dayton audio.

·
Premium Member
7,415 Posts
Funny you should ask about a dsp. I'm shopping for one right now. It's almost impossible to find what I'm looking for under $500. I do have a dsp on the subs only, called a dsp-LP made by dayton audio.
`
Go big or go home…

You might be better off with smaller bandpass, ported or a sealed?
But not being able to carry things isn the boot of the Monaro is also a worry.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Here's the sub you need ;)
Easy peasey. This should move enough air ;) Okay, I'm not expecting you to actually jump and buy one, but eventually, I will. I'm already running an 18" sub with two passive radiator 15"s and it does pretty well. But I'm kind of bored with it, and would like more :) Especially D E E E P bass ! ...like in the single digits category. I think doing 140+ db's at 8 hz would be really fun :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I mean it dont alawys sound like a million bucks, but they do get decent sound out of them. I work for a major auto manufacturer and alot of our vehicles have a single sub in the rear deck infiite baffle and it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
499 Posts
EQ is set right? Cut and peaks, taking into account driver impedance and response curves? Maybe add a second pair of woofers. Amp have good dampening?

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
350 Posts
You can get a Helix Mini-DSP for around $450 shipped

Next time I refresh my system, I will likely replace my amp with a Helix M FOUR DSP unit, or similar (~$800 or so), so I can offload the processing out of my head unit, onto the DSP, while keeping my trunk space still to just one amp/component.

That would then allow me to replace my head unit (single DIN Pioneer 80PRS) with something more modern ... like a double DIN touch-screen NAV, backup cam, etc ... Without having to find one which has equivalent SQ features as the 80PRS does.

`You might be better off with smaller bandpass, ported or a sealed?
But not being able to carry things isn the boot of the Monaro is also a worry.
Trunk space is most certainly limited ... I ended up opting for a sealed 12" enclosure for mine, and I just deal with the limited space. But I can appreciate the goal of locating subs inside the cabin somewhere (rear deck, or rear seat side panels).

Here is what I have in mine. The sub is self contained, and on quick connects. So it's really quick and easy to take out when needed.

Audio equipment Gas Electronic device Trunk Auto part

Then I can still place the tank cover in place too, and hide everything.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Trunk Grille

That's Aussie/Brit speak for "Trunk". Holmz is from Australia.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Here's the sub you need ;)

Easy peasey. This should move enough air ;) Okay, I'm not expecting you to actually jump and buy one, but eventually, I will. I'm already running an 18" sub with two passive radiator 15"s and it does pretty well. But I'm kind of bored with it, and would like more :) Especially D E E E P bass ! ...like in the single digits category. I think doing 140+ db's at 8 hz would be really fun :)
I just ordered two! I'm gonna cut my trunk lid for one and put the other in the roof. that ought to do it! Or maybe i should wait for that chevy cruz dude and see what he thinks I should do....I bet he will tell me something like put it in the hood of the car and move the engine to the rear of the car or something....lololol

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
You can get a Helix Mini-DSP for around $450 shipped

Next time I refresh my system, I will likely replace my amp with a Helix M FOUR DSP unit, or similar (~$800 or so), so I can offload the processing out of my head unit, onto the DSP, while keeping my trunk space still to just one amp/component.

That would then allow me to replace my head unit (single DIN Pioneer 80PRS) with something more modern ... like a double DIN touch-screen NAV, backup cam, etc ... Without having to find one which has equivalent SQ features as the 80PRS does.

Trunk space is most certainly limited ... I ended up opting for a sealed 12" enclosure for mine, and I just deal with the limited space. But I can appreciate the goal of locating subs inside the cabin somewhere (rear deck, or rear seat side panels).

Here is what I have in mine. The sub is self contained, and on quick connects. So it's really quick and easy to take out when needed.

View attachment 311267

Then I can still place the tank cover in place too, and hide everything.

View attachment 311268

That's Aussie/Brit speak for "Trunk". Holmz is from Australia.

Well I was almost sold on that helix....however, I want 6 inputs (front, rear, sub) and 6 or more outputs.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
350 Posts
Well I was almost sold on that helix....however, I want 6 inputs (front, rear, sub) and 6 or more outputs.
Ya, I get it .... Man, I really wish you were closer to me. I'd love for you to hear my car with just the front Hertz components (6.5" door and 1" dash tweets) and trunk sub. It sounds phenomenal without any additional speakers in the rear.

Reactions: KFXGUY

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I just ordered two! I'm gonna cut my trunk lid for one and put the other in the roof. that ought to do it! Or maybe i should wait for that chevy cruz dude and see what he thinks I should do....I bet he will tell me something like put it in the hood of the car and move the engine to the rear of the car or something....lololol
You need to cut the spare tire well out. Put a carbon fiber baffle in to offset the weight of the sub.
And you only needed 1 so ordering two was somewhat foolish I would say.
Could've bought a bigger turbo....or another air filter or whatever you petrol dummies do.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You will not find anything with six inputs. The only thing is a jl audio fix 86. Six in. 8 out. Not a processor. Line driver....kinda.
Just mount the freaking knob. I know you gotta blank that your not using for fogight switches or something.....

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
350 Posts
Helix DSP.3 has 6 inputs with 8 outputs
Helix Pro MK2 has 8 inputs with 10 outputs
Helix DSP Ultra also has 8 inputs with 12 outputs

Actually, of the offerings from Helix, only the mini is limited to 4 inputs.

181 - 200 of 510 Posts