DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
221 - 240 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It does, but I can’t hone in on limiting upper and lower frequencies. I do have passive crossovers in the doors on the front flutes. The rear ones are turned down, only for a little more rear fill and additional mid bass.
Ok..a real suggestion here man....
Switch over to network. Use the active xovers up front. For the back use a set of y adapters on the midbass rcas. That way you send the same signal to the front as the back.
Throw the passives or grab an inductor from parts express which is just a simple 6db low pass.
They would go inline on the positive wire. Like any other xover.
You could even order a few. Say from 200 hertz to 1000.
The argument for rear speakers is legit but...it's only 2 channel audio.
The rear info is the same as the front. In your case here anyway.
An actual ported box in the boot mate and you have a very nice tunable system that shouldn't be lacking in any real way.
The only improvements after that would be an actual dsp.
Maybe better speakers but only after the dsp has really maximized what you have.
Oh and one these

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts

why do people think they need rears. I also did when I was new to this. But if someone is in yoir back seat and can’t hear the front speakers they don’t have ears
All my back seat passengers have ears, they don’t need to work though..
(A ponytail probably serves a similar function.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tactile Transducers / aka 'Bass Shakers' are your friend. If you can mount them under your front seats, to the seat frame is best, but to the floor is also ok, you will find the missing bottom octave that you are looking for.
These have gone out of fashion I suppose, and or most people never try them, but in a mobile environment these make a whole lot of difference. When people have decent mid bass, they are looking for that last bit on the bottom that you can 'feel'. This is where the tactile transducers come in, and they do it much more effectively than a subwoofer and are cheaper to boot. Bonus, saves your hearing as you can keep volume levels in safe zone. This is important if you want to enjoy music for a lifetime.

This is based on personal experience and many installs over the last 20 years.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Twk in the classifieds....450.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 · (Edited)
I'm starting to second guess and regret my decisions. The more I think about it, the more i realize the silverflutes almost do it for me on their own. So with me realizing that, i keep going back to silverflute 8's on madisound and I keep getting close to ordering them. Then i keep thinking about the Peerless SLS 8" which should be a better choice than the flutes in the back deck, put those and the rear 6.5" flutes on the rear channels of my 4 channel, cross the 6.5's at 5500hz, put a resistor on the 6.5's to lower the power to them, and cross the peerless at 2000 hz and then throw a sub back in the trunk on the mono amp. ugh. I should Have done this from the get go. I'd be done.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The flutes in the rear are in metal sidepanels in the quarter panel in a freeair situation. Probably wouldnt go well with those
Yo the dayton epiques would really be enough for you.
No need for 8s. Just 4 of those in rear. Done. Run them off the sub channel and the front active.
With all your silly stipulations and childish grudges against knobs...what's that about? One hit you in mouth?
Anyways the daytons have more throw than any sub suited to ib in that size range.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
No need for 8s. Just 4 of those in rear. Done. Run them off the sub channel and the front active.
With all your silly stipulations and childish grudges against knobs...what's that about? One hit you in mouth?
Anyways the daytons have more throw than any sub suited to ib in that size range.
NO.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Why you so hard headed? I dont want all that bass. I just want clean bass. thats all. I dont need a bunch of subs. Like I said, i'm almost happy with 4 6.5's.....what makes you think i want that much more like you keep blurting out? I'm not a kid anymore. I'll be 45 years old in december, I've had (4) 15's, (4) 12's...10's etc. I worked at several audio shops and installed for over a decade. I've had head throbbing, chest compressing bass in many systems...why can't you simply understand its not my desire for that anymore. I already stated numerous times i want it to sound a little better than the stock stereo in my my 2019 silverado. That should not be hard to do and i just feel like to BEAT that goal, I should not have to have a boxed sub....my truck doesnt and its got cheesy stock speakers......My goals arent that high. I should not have to spend thousands to get there. I appreciate all the suggestions but i want to keep it simple and you keep beating a dead horse. I dont want a dang bass knob. Do I need to explain that any further? Have you not decided things FOR YOURSELF in life or do you let other people make up your mind for you? I choose to decide things for myself. I'm always open to opinions or suggestions, but if i already told you I didnt want something several times already...do you really think you are going to change my mind by asking me if I got hit in the mouth with a bass knob?

You wanna know why....like really want to know why? Ever since I installed car audio I've always felt like a bass knob was a cheesy add on...kinda like a big wing spoiler on a rice mobile. My radio has a sub control. I SOLD MY LAST RADIO because I was having to use a stupid bass knob because that android junk didnt have a sub control and I PURPOSLY found and bought another head unit with sub control and removed the bass knob. So why in the heck would I go back to that when its not what i prefer? Because YOU say so? LMAO.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
316 Posts
@KFXGUY ... Dude, you just need to ignore him. There's no need to explain your goals. Take the suggestions which align, and just ignore the ones which don't. He's obviously trying to get a rise out of you, and it's working.

BTW: I've got a couple of years on you LOL! I kind of went the other way though. My GTO was a road course track car for many years. No interior, NT-01 slicks, brake cooling ducts, laminova oil/coolat heat exchanger, etc, etc ... I placed 1st in my class 2 years in a row, set a track record in Houston, etc ... Then when I retired it from the road course circuit, I decided to make it a quiet, smooth, daily driver with a decent stereo. I suppose our priorities change as we get older ... there's no need to convince anyone else though.

Reactions: KFXGUY

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
@KFXGUY ... Dude, you just need to ignore him. There's no need to explain your goals. Take the suggestions which align, and just ignore the ones which don't. He's obviously trying to get a rise out of you, and it's working.

BTW: I've got a couple of years on you LOL! I kind of went the other way though. My GTO was a road course track car for many years. No interior, NT-01 slicks, brake cooling ducts, laminova oil/coolat heat exchanger, etc, etc ... I placed 1st in my class 2 years in a row, set a track record in Houston, etc ... Then when I retired it from the road course circuit, I decided to make it a quiet, smooth, daily driver with a decent stereo. I suppose our priorities change as we get older ... there's no need to convince anyone else though.
yea you are right. I was started to get agitated. Lol.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Why you so hard headed? I dont want all that bass. I just want clean bass. thats all. I dont need a bunch of subs. Like I said, i'm almost happy with 4 6.5's.....what makes you think i want that much more like you keep blurting out? I'm not a kid anymore. I'll be 45 years old in december, I've had (4) 15's, (4) 12's...10's etc. I worked at several audio shops and installed for over a decade. I've had head throbbing, chest compressing bass in many systems...why can't you simply understand its not my desire for that anymore. I already stated numerous times i want it to sound a little better than the stock stereo in my my 2019 silverado. That should not be hard to do and i just feel like to BEAT that goal, I should not have to have a boxed sub....my truck doesnt and its got cheesy stock speakers......My goals arent that high. I should not have to spend thousands to get there. I appreciate all the suggestions but i want to keep it simple and you keep beating a dead horse. I dont want a dang bass knob. Do I need to explain that any further? Have you not decided things FOR YOURSELF in life or do you let other people make up your mind for you? I choose to decide things for myself. I'm always open to opinions or suggestions, but if i already told you I didnt want something several times already...do you really think you are going to change my mind by asking me if I got hit in the mouth with a bass knob?

You wanna know why....like really want to know why? Ever since I installed car audio I've always felt like a bass knob was a cheesy add on...kinda like a big wing spoiler on a rice mobile. My radio has a sub control. I SOLD MY LAST RADIO because I was having to use a stupid bass knob because that android junk didnt have a sub control and I PURPOSLY found and bought another head unit with sub control and removed the bass knob. So why in the heck would I go back to that when its not what i prefer? Because YOU say so? LMAO.
The dayton are just a better version of the silverflutes you are using now. With 14 mm of amazing xmax. They are not subs.
Didn't know the knob thing cut so deep. Lol.
You want more bass than 2 8 inch subs ib can cleanly provide. But you don't want a bunch of subs.
You are acting like a female that just got to new restaurant but doesn't want to wait 30 mins.

·
Registered
661 Posts

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but have you heard anyone's well built SQ system other than your own?
Have you been to any comps, heard any demo cars, or anything of the like for true SQ cars? Not 4 15s or 4 12s or whatever you had previously.
It seems to me like you truely don't know what you are actually looking for.

Think of it like this, you have a nice car from the sounds of it. Lots of horsepower. Do you use all of that while you're driving? No, you don't, you only use it sometimes when merging into traffic or playing around. You don't use it to its full potential until you need to, and then it makes things like merging into traffic easier. But CAN you drive around like an ass hat all the time at 6k rpm, roasting tires? Yes.

Now let's take this to sound. You say you don't need all these subwoofers cause you don't need all that much bass. Just like having 800hp in DD car, if you have more cone area, you aren't going to use it all of the time. You use that extra cone area to cause less distortion, and play the lower octave. Giving you clean, low, and smooth bass. Now CAN you devote all that cone area to a more efficient region like 40hz and drive around sounding like an ass hat with your one note wonder car that everyone can hear coming? Just like using that 800hp through town, yes you can.
Do you see what I'm saying? If it's tuned well, it only compliments the music, it isn't a chest beater. But it REQUIRES lots of air to be moved in one form or another. How you utilize the ability to move all that air is up to you. Do you use it to make the neighbors house shake? Or do you use it for clean low bass?

As soon as you eq down that peak in the subbass that you have now, you will see what we mean about not having enough cone area. Right now there is an abnormally efficient region in that 40hz area that is caused by cabin shape, and a horn loading effect from the rear deck. As soon as you chop that out and have a smooth bass response, you are going to be bottoming out your subs before you can get anywhere CLOSE to how loud they were playing at 40hz alone before.
And that's when what we are telling you about having more cone area in your mids than your subs is really going to become apparent.

Anyway, all we can do is try and help out. Maybe 2 8s are enough for you after tuning them. But you aren't going to really know without measuring and chopping the massive peak out of the sub response, pushing it to xmax, and hearing what you are left with.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
I dont mean to sound like a dick, but have you heard anyone's well built SQ system other than your own?
Have you been to any comps, heard any demo cars, or anything of the like for true SQ cars? Not 4 15s or 4 12s or whatever you had previously.
It seems to me like you truely don't know what you are actually looking for.

Think of it like this, you have a nice car from the sounds of it. Lots of horsepower. Do you use all of that while you're driving? No, you don't, you only use it sometimes when merging into traffic or playing around. You don't use it to its full potential until you need to, and then it makes things like merging into traffic easier. But CAN you drive around like an ass hat all the time at 6k rpm, roasting tires? Yes.

Now let's take this to sound. You say you don't need all these subwoofers cause you don't need all that much bass. Just like having 800hp in DD car, if you have more cone area, you aren't going to use it all of the time. You use that extra cone area to cause less distortion, and play the lower octave. Giving you clean, low, and smooth bass. Now CAN you devote all that cone area to a more efficient region like 40hz and drive around sounding like an ass hat with your one note wonder car that everyone can hear coming? Just like using that 800hp through town, yes you can.
Do you see what I'm saying? If it's tuned well, it only compliments the music, it isn't a chest beater. But it REQUIRES lots of air to be moved in one form or another. How you utilize the ability to move all that air is up to you. Do you use it to make the neighbors house shake? Or do you use it for clean low bass?

As soon as you eq down that peak in the subbass that you have now, you will see what we mean about not having enough cone area. Right now there is an abnormally efficient region in that 40hz area that is caused by cabin shape, and a horn loading effect from the rear deck. As soon as you chop that out and have a smooth bass response, you are going to be bottoming out your subs before you can get anywhere CLOSE to how loud they were playing at 40hz alone before.
And that's when what we are telling you about having more cone area in your mids than your subs is really going to become apparent.

Anyway, all we can do is try and help out. Maybe 2 8s are enough for you after tuning them. But you aren't going to really know without measuring and chopping the massive peak out of the sub response, pushing it to xmax, and hearing what you are left with.

I have chopped out that 40hz region. I chopped up to 17.4db out of it. It sounds like crap higher and lower than that with the subs I have now. It’s more complicated than that, some songs sound fantastic, some I can’t hear some bass notes that I know are there. I’m brainstorming right now. I’m considering building enclosures for my side panels and putting subs in there. I have a few ideas, and I’ll get there.
I haven’t heard anyone else’s car. None of my friends car much about audio anyone. Faded out pretty much. Most of my buddies are into fast cars. I’m not really into the audio either, nothing like I used to be, but I’ve become interested here lately on just getting a decent stereo in my hot rod.

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
I have chopped out that 40hz region. I chopped up to 17.4db out of it. It sounds like crap higher and lower than that with the subs I have now. It’s more complicated than that, some songs sound fantastic, some I can’t hear some bass notes that I know are there. I’m brainstorming right now. I’m considering building enclosures for my side panels and putting subs in there. I have a few ideas, and I’ll get there.
I haven’t heard anyone else’s car. None of my friends car much about audio anyone. Faded out pretty much. Most of my buddies are into fast cars. I’m not really into the audio either, nothing like I used to be, but I’ve become interested here lately on just getting a decent stereo in my hot rod.
to get an idea… Maybe make a sealed box out of old scrap wood and set it next to where it’’ll be on a door.
  • If it sounds bad, then don’t waste time making a door box.
  • if it sounds good then you’ll be armed with that fact too.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
to get an idea… Maybe make a sealed box out of old scrap wood and set it next to where it’’ll be on a door.
  • If it sounds bad, then don’t waste time making a door box.
  • if it sounds good then you’ll be armed with that fact too.

Not the doors. The rear side panels. But yea. I’d do only one at first.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Not the doors. The rear side panels. But yea. I’d do only one at first.
Just do as he says, whip a quarter card out and put a box there it will let you know how it will behave in minutes rather than ‘building something

or make a manifold over the tank for the rear shelf to breathe through all four driver holes present and attach a pair of twelves to it in the boot, the sq will be through the roof and the front stage will have better sq without the rears in the mix

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
So many wrongs in some of these responses, it's sad. I'll keep it short & simple... still using dual 8" in the rear deck. Output.. not an issue. Response... not an issue. A mic & RTA will definitely help you to understand where you're going wrong, but it also should be understood that driver parameters is another problem whether picking the wrong ones, or what's not accurate enough to be trusted. That would require a DATS though. This isn't just your subs... this includes throughout as I view your list.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So many wrongs in some of these responses, it's sad. I'll keep it short & simple... still using dual 8" in the rear deck. Output.. not an issue. Response... not an issue. A mic & RTA will definitely help you to understand where you're going wrong, but it also should be understood that driver parameters is another problem whether picking the wrong ones, or what's not accurate enough to be trusted. That would require a DATS though. This isn't just your subs... this includes throughout as I view your list.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
This guys name might as well be ye.... cause you can't tell him ****

221 - 240 of 510 Posts