DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
161 - 180 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Please d
meh...I agree, moreso when I was naturally aspirated.....but as I add weight, boost is added too, to compensate. Its funny when I have people in the car, i'll hit 23-24psi vs 19-20 like when I'm by myself. But yea...I do agree.....

I often wonder if I should have just put my 4 channel on (4) 6.5 flutes and two 8" flutes and just kept the box sub to throw in when I want more bass....
Wait....I thought you already tried the silver flute 8s ?
If not...then ya...try that man.
If you like 6.5 inch in your door the 8 inch on the deck seems like the move.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Dude, if you're willing to buy and return a ton of 8in drivers just to see if one way do something magical that another one won't (which isn't going to happen, sorry man), why not just buy a couple shallow 10s and test for fitment? Then you will atleast know if they will fit or not.

I dont think you realize why there are some people getting frustrated with this. You're asking for help and then disregarding any of the help given. I would imagine that's why most people have left the thread.

Cut some holes for larger drivers, or build a baffle and reverse mount them firing through the stock speaker holes which will have more than enough breathing room.
Right.....displacement is displacement.
If you could just throw some boost on the bass.
Like the turbo controls the ......wait a min
...why not a ported box in the trunk.....like normal. That you remove when you want go fast....

·
Registered
667 Posts
I haven't looked into your car, but if you actually have a trunk, this is a silly exercise that we are doing.
Build a legit box, with a legit sub, screw your amp to the box (the ONLY time I will reccomend this), and connect the amps power on a large quick disconnect like this :
Amazon.com: Driver Recovery 2-4 Gauge Battery Quick Connect / Disconnect (2 Pack) 175 Amps Wire Harness Plug for Winch or Trailer : Automotive

You now have your cake, and you can eat it too.

This is an even better option than any of the others since you are dropping even more weight than you would by keeping 2 8in speakers in IB (no speakers are lighter than 2 speakers)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
They had to to comply with our stupid safety certifications. Besides, at least it’s not the 3rd Gen camaro I had where it was so poorly designed that you couldn’t fit full length headers without them dragging the ground...especially if you lowered it and not have room for a decent dial exhaust that doesn’t drag the ground and rattle on everything. I guess there’s trade offs. This car has plenty of room for headers and exhaust. I think the speaker placement is still superior to my camaro except the fact that having a hatch makes the bass really easy to hit hard.
I'd rather have the gas tank under the car totally outside of the passenger compartment.
I feel you on the 3rd gen Camaro headers, I've got a set of shortys to put on mine when I swap the heads.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Ok. I just got home from work, I’ll run out there in a few and make a 10” cardboard circle to show you guys why. I measured the other night. It’s just not doable for the amount of cutting I’m willing to do to the car. I’ve said it in my other thread, I’m not going for max spl, earth shaking bass. I just want it louder and clearer than the stock stereo in my my 2019 Silverado. It’s louder right now but the bass isn’t as wide a range as my trucks stock stereo and I don’t even have the premium system. I really don’t think I’m asking for much. It’s just so far the drivers I’ve used just aren’t the right thing. I’m hoping the cerwin Vegas sound better than the no name subs I have now. They are “loud” enough, they just don’t have any kind of decent range to them. They really only seem to sound good around 40hz. No lower, no higher. Bare with me. I’m just looking for that perfect driver, which may or may not exist.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ok. I just got home from work, I’ll run out there in a few and make a 10” cardboard circle to show you guys why. I measured the other night. It’s just not doable for the amount of cutting I’m willing to do to the car. I’ve said it in my other thread, I’m not going for max spl, earth shaking bass. I just want it louder and clearer than the stock stereo in my my 2019 Silverado. It’s louder right now but the bass isn’t as wide a range as my trucks stock stereo and I don’t even have the premium system. I really don’t think I’m asking for much. It’s just so far the drivers I’ve used just aren’t the right thing. I’m hoping the cerwin Vegas sound better than the no name subs I have now. They are “loud” enough, they just don’t have any kind of decent range to them. They really only seem to sound good around 40hz. No lower, no higher. Bare with me. I’m just looking for that perfect driver, which may or may not exist.
A higher quality sub of the same size isn't going to do what you want. Higher quality subs have less distortion. This makes them seem quieter than a cheaper sub at the same SPL level.
They are all going to sound peaky at 40hz due to them not playing with any appreciable spl below that and cabin gain doing its thing. The best thing you can do is pull the 12db or whatever it is out of the response via parametric EQ try and level out the response.
Feel free to keep chasing your tail even with everyone telling you otherwise.
Use your trunk and make a removable box, or invert mount some 10s. Those are your only options if you want anything more below 40hz.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Alright. I sense some of you are getting agitated with me. Well I get it, you think I’m not listening. Truth is, if 10’s would fit, I’d do it. But I’m stuckwith 8’s. So that’s what I have to work with. None of you guys are here looking at this with me. I have pretty good fab capabilities, but I don’t want to cut my car up like that. I took some pics so you can see.
First off, this is why I don’t want a box and/or use the spare tire well. It’s being used. I have tools, air pump, cleaning supplies, extra parts, clamps, spark plug wires etc

Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle door Luggage and bags

This is my ultra small trunk. Helmet in the pic for scale.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Trunk Motor vehicle

Now here’s a 10” cardboard circle.
Please notice the curves it runs into and runs into bracing for the seat. It almost hits the back glass. I won’t have room to move the woofer up to space it. Trust me, it’s not going to fit. 8” is tight enough.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle door

Wood Red Gas Tints and shades Circle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Alright. I sense some of you are getting agitated with me. Well I get it, you think I’m not listening. Truth is, if 10’s would fit, I’d do it. But I’m stuckwith 8’s. So that’s what I have to work with. None of you guys are here looking at this with me. I have pretty good fab capabilities, but I don’t want to cut my car up like that. I took some pics so you can see.
First off, this is why I don’t want a box and/or use the spare tire well. It’s being used. I have tools, air pump, cleaning supplies, extra parts, clamps, spark plug wires etc

View attachment 311222
View attachment 311223

Please notice the curves it runs into and runs into bracing for the seat. It almost hits the back glass. I won’t have room to move the woofer up to space it. Trust me, it’s not going to fit. 8” is tight enough.

View attachment 311225
View attachment 311226
Looks like you have plenty of room.

·
Registered
667 Posts

View attachment 311222
View attachment 311223

View attachment 311225
View attachment 311226
It looks like inverted 10s would fit fine from those pictures. And you don't have to use your spare well. You can use your trunks corner, it should be easy since you have fab skills.
I have a toyota 86, super small car with a trunk the same size. I have a 1.5cf box with a gb12 stuffed in the corner with disconnects to allow me to get it out to gain access to my spare. It's possible.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

edit
Upon second look, your trunk is smaller than mine, maybe 70% the size. Regardless, plenty of room to fit a 12 if you wanted to

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Looks like you have plenty of room.
Umm no I don’t. What you aren’t considering is the woofer would hit the back glass and my deck cover is not going to go over it. I mean maybe a hack jobber could make that fit but like I told you before, I’m not destroying my back deck over some speakers. If you were here looking at this, you’d agree unless you are ok with hacking up a vehicle and ruining it. I’m not doing it.
An inverted woofer won’t work, it will hit the back glass. Stoop already measured that. Look fellas, this is a nice car. I already feel like crap cutting the holes bigger for 8’s. I’m just not cutting it for 10’s because once I cut it and realize it’s not going to work, I can’t uncut it. It’s easy for someone hundreds of miles away to just tell you to hack your car all up, but doing it....that’s a different story.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Umm no I don’t. What you aren’t considering is the woofer would hit the back glass and my deck cover is not going to go over it. I mean maybe a hack jobber could make that fit but like I told you before, I’m not destroying my back deck over some speakers. If you were here looking at this, you’d agree unless you are ok with hacking up a vehicle and ruining it. I’m not doing it.
An inverted woofer won’t work, it will hit the back glass. Stoop already measured that. Look fellas, this is a nice car. I already feel like crap cutting the holes bigger for 8’s. I’m just not cutting it for 10’s because once I cut it and realize it’s not going to work, I can’t uncut it. It’s easy for someone hundreds of miles away to just tell you to hack your car all up, but doing it....that’s a different story.
The opposite of cut is a weld. Duh.
After looking at the pics of the spare tire well.....why? Spark plug wires? Just in case? All the cleaning supplies....in the car? All the time? If you want bigger bass than the silverflutes you need a box in trunk and the back deck open.
There isn't some magical 8 out there that defies physics.
You know how midbass drivers in your door bottom without a high-pass? Same thing in the rear deck but worse because no one makes 8 inch subwoofers designed for infinite baffle. Most likely because they would be horrible failures. Kinda like.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
The opposite of cut is a weld. Duh.
After looking at the pics of the spare tire well.....why? Spark plug wires? Just in case? All the cleaning supplies....in the car? All the time? If you want bigger bass than the silverflutes you need a box in trunk and the back deck open.
There isn't some magical 8 out there that defies physics.
You know how midbass drivers in your door bottom without a high-pass? Same thing in the rear deck but worse because no one makes 8 inch subwoofers designed for infinite baffle. Most likely because they would be horrible failures. Kinda like.....
weld my back deck back together. Lol. Seriously? Smh.

i have a turbo car. I’ve burnt a plug wire or two in the past few years. Makes it pretty convenient when I’m out of town or on the road to just swap a wire if I burn it. I also have charge pipe clamps. V bands. I was in another state and broke a clamp. Let’s see...carry stuff I might have an issue with that would possibly disable the car....or put speakers in it and stead. Hmmm. That’s a hard decision to make. Lol. Smh.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
weld my back deck back together. Lol. Seriously? Smh.

i have a turbo car. I’ve burnt a plug wire or two in the past few years. Makes it pretty convenient when I’m out of town or on the road to just swap a wire if I burn it. I also have charge pipe clamps. V bands. I was in another state and broke a clamp. Let’s see...carry stuff I might have an issue with that would possibly disable the car....or put speakers in it and stead. Hmmm. That’s a hard decision to make. Lol. Smh.
They make things called bags. They also make some just for tools. Some just for books too.
Makes it easy to move and to find stuff. And seems to save some space.
Mine also seems to like to sit beside my sub box. In a car I drive uber in. 2...3 hours away. Chevy cruze. Also turbo charged.
Mostly I just see a bunch of rags taking up space where a sub could be. With a nice bag of rags....and the tools you might need to to tighten that clamp....they fit in bags too.
There are multiple solutions for your car. You just don't want them.
Is this really Koontz in a more sophisticated form?

·
Registered
342 Posts
They make things called bags. They also make some just for tools. Some just for books too.
Makes it easy to move and to find stuff. And seems to save some space.
Mine also seems to like to sit beside my sub box. In a car I drive uber in. 2...3 hours away. Chevy cruze. Also turbo charged.
Mostly I just see a bunch of rags taking up space where a sub could be. With a nice bag of rags....and the tools you might need to to tighten that clamp....they fit in bags too.
There are multiple solutions for your car. You just don't want them.
Is this really Koontz in a more sophisticated form?
No death/black metal or chest pounding bass mentioned yet so I doubt it on Kountz

On a different note, been following along and have you thought about using some cardboard to "put together" a .5 or 1ft cubic box that could tuck into the corner of your trunk. Best case scenario, you have an area you can fit a box for even a full size 10 or 12 and worst case you lost a bit of time (which a LOT has been spent in this pursuit and thread)

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you lost slme time and maybe a piece of cardboard or 2.

Play around with measurements in a box calculator, think which directions would work well for you and manage depth. If you can fiberglass a box then you open a TON of space and flexibility.

Those 175 amp connectors before are pretty cool too lol

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
No death/black metal or chest pounding bass mentioned yet so I doubt it on Kountz

On a different note, been following along and have you thought about using some cardboard to "put together" a .5 or 1ft cubic box that could tuck into the corner of your trunk. Best case scenario, you have an area you can fit a box for even a full size 10 or 12 and worst case you lost a bit of time (which a LOT has been spent in this pursuit and thread)

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you lost slme time and maybe a piece of cardboard or 2.

Play around with measurements in a box calculator, think which directions would work well for you and manage depth. If you can fiberglass a box then you open a TON of space and flexibility.

Good luck!

He's about to tell you that card board won't work for a sub box.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·

Good luck!

Yea I can fiberglass. I can do carbon fiber too. I can make a box from cardboard and fiberglass over it and then the last layer I can use carbon. I know that well enough.
the dude above would have me change my whole life around just to shoehorn some subs in my car. Lol. Not. He does give me some good laughs will his bullshenanagins tho.

161 - 180 of 510 Posts