Votes: 16 88.9%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Using JL 500/1
Sealed Enclosure 1.2ft before displacement

Looking for SQ not blow the windows out. The SR hits hard and Low but I'm afraid of blowing it in such a small enclosure. ( I've read about issues)

I've been using the SR124 for the last year and love it, but my new car is limited on space so I was think of giving the IDQ a shot.

Discuss.................

·
Registered
226 Posts
What size enclosure did you have the SR in before?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The same 1.2 cft. before displacement. As a matter of fact the wire from the post on the sub to the VC/or cone (wherever it goes) broke free. I did a resolder job and it is back to normal but I'm not sure if it came loose cuz the presure or what.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Do you say 1.2 cu/ft in both situations because you are using the same box again? If so, I would just keep the polk until it dies if it is working for you. But, if you are interested, I have a IDQv2d2 (shouldn't matter with the 500/1) that I would be willing to sell for cheap. Then you could try both and sell the one you don't like. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you say 1.2 cu/ft in both situations because you are using the same box again? If so, I would just keep the polk until it dies if it is working for you. But, if you are interested, I have a IDQv2d2 (shouldn't matter with the 500/1) that I would be willing to sell for cheap. Then you could try both and sell the one you don't like. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer...but I already ordered the IDQ thinking my Polk was blown. So now have a IDQ arriving today and need to decide weather or not to sell it, or sell the repaired Polk

·
Banned
48 Posts
What kind of speakers are you using for imaging? I ask because if your looking for the best combination of SQ and SPL the IDQ is the way to go. The only subwoofer's that will out perform the IDQ will cost at least a thousand bucks or better, for example the Morel Ultimo or the Dynaudio Esotar 1200. Not to mention, the IDQ's have a very good reputation when it comes to competition level SQ. Google the three I've mention and compare.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of speakers are you using for imaging? I ask because if your looking for the best combination of SQ and SPL the IDQ is the way to go. The only subwoofer's that will out perform the IDQ will cost at least a thousand bucks or better, for example the Morel Ultimo or the Dynaudio Esotar 1200. Not to mention, the IDQ's have a very good reputation when it comes to competition level SQ. Google the three I've mention and compare.
(2005 Audi S4)
Factory HU

JL 300/4
Front:pioneer TS-C720PRS
Rear: Factory Bose

JL 500/1
Sub: SR124 soon to be IDQ12

So far I think the Pioneer's are great speakers. Unfortunately I'm having a difficult time producing the kind of min bass I know they are capable of. They are in the factory locations. In fact I had a local installer tell me it is damn near impossible to get the same mid bass as the factory Bose with aftermarket speakers in the factory locations. In fact I almost think I was better off with the Bose being amplified by the JL. ( I know, the Bose are crappy paper cone etc. but to the naked ear they did produce great mid bass)
Short of having custom door panels made or kicks I think I've done all I can do. I'm not excited about spending any more money on this project, but if someone has any tips or tricks please share.

I've Second Skined the entire car (trunk 2 layers) and added Damplifier to doors and trunk.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
(2005 Audi S4)
Factory HU

JL 300/4
Front:pioneer TS-C720PRS
Rear: Factory Bose

JL 500/1
Sub: SR124 soon to be IDQ12

So far I think the Pioneer's are great speakers. Unfortunately I'm having a difficult time producing the kind of min bass I know they are capable of. They are in the factory locations. In fact I had a local installer tell me it is damn near impossible to get the same mid bass as the factory Bose with aftermarket speakers in the factory locations. In fact I almost think I was better off with the Bose being amplified by the JL. ( I know, the Bose are crappy paper cone etc. but to the naked ear they did produce great mid bass)
Short of having custom door panels made or kicks I think I've done all I can do. I'm not excited about spending any more money on this project, but if someone has any tips or tricks please share.

I've Second Skined the entire car (trunk 2 layers) and added Damplifier to doors and trunk.
Did you seal off all the holes in your doors? Add a baffle if possible to reduce resonance? Are they partially blocked by the door panel (i.e. put in a larger than OEM driver). There are all kinds of factors that can make a difference in midbass.

Also, I would also say use the IDQ before selling the Polk and then decide since you already have both. Your ears are better than our opinions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I got my system close to dialed in. I adjusted the HP eq on the fronts.
BTW the IDQ is a keeper. Much cleaner & crisper. Much better true sound. Although I think I got it......If anyone has crossover point advice I'm all ears.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
The only subwoofer's that will out perform the IDQ will cost at least a thousand bucks or better, for example the Morel Ultimo or the Dynaudio Esotar 1200.
That's saying a lot! The IDQ's are great subs, I love my two, but there are plenty of other drivers out there that can compete in a very similar price range. They sound good, but they really don't have any special technology that sets them apart, they are about as basic as speakers get.

To the OP. Since you describe a lack of midbass, don't be afraid to cross the IDQ over at 100hz or even a tad more. You don't need to drop it down to 50hz to avoid localization. Play with the 100hz area first and see what you think. This could help give you a little more of that midbass feel you're looking for. As long as you blend them well with your Pioneers you will be happy with the sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts