DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find any info on these ID subs, WoofersEtc is the only place I've seen them. Does anybody have any info on these? Specs? Enclosure requirements?

I'm hoping to add this to my short list of low profile, small box 10's along with the Exile 10 and the JL 10W1, but I just can't find any info on them.

CTX104 - Image Dynamics 10" CTX 4 ohm Subwoofer

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
i have a pdf of the manual give me an address and i'll send it to u.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be sweet, please send to [email protected]

Beats, I'm not really looking for a shallow mount sub, just a low profile sub. In other words..a JLW3 or an IDMAX is out of the question, but I can use something with less than 5" of depth.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
you got mail

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
no it's not, at least i don't recall it being. i have a couple of the ctx12s and they aren't. also i'm sure if they were they'd be a bit more costly.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
actually no not yet. :( i've been slacking on that part. i was suppose to put one in a sealed box and one in a ported to see what they sound like but haven't gotten around to building the boxes.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I can't seem to find any info on these ID subs, WoofersEtc is the only place I've seen them. Does anybody have any info on these? Specs? Enclosure requirements?

I'm hoping to add this to my short list of low profile, small box 10's along with the Exile 10 and the JL 10W1, but I just can't find any info on them.

t/s parameters are given at the same link.

Looks like an eD Kv-series sub (with different colour cone and logo, of course :)).

Specs suggest a largish sealed enclosure for a 10" car audio driver. 0.6 to 1.4 cu.ft. sealed, 100% stuffed with polyester fiberfill should work Ok. I suspect the Xmax figure is a bit optimistic though.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
t/s parameters are given at the same link.

Looks like an eD Kv-series sub (with different colour cone and logo, of course :)).

Specs suggest a largish sealed enclosure for a 10" car audio driver. 0.6 to 1.4 cu.ft. sealed, 100% stuffed with polyester fiberfill should work Ok. I suspect the Xmax figure is a bit optimistic though.
ED?? Nope 100% an Image Dynamics product! ;)

Xmax is very realistic, 38.1mm winding height with an 8mm tall gap so 15.05mm one way all windings in the gap. 16mm to 10% thd is not at all optomistic.

The CTX subwoofers will surprise people with their capabilities at the price point the meet.

Eric

·
Registered
997 Posts
ED?? Nope 100% an Image Dynamics product! ;)
Hey - I said "looks like" :). The basket, surround and cone construction look very eD-like. Even the price :). There isn't any information on the ID site about the driver though. Neither the 12" version, the CTX124.

Xmax is very realistic, 38.1mm winding height with an 8mm tall gap so 15.05mm one way all windings in the gap. 16mm to 10% thd is not at all optomistic.
My concern would be if the the suspension supports that Xmax. Got any further information available about that driver? Seems the only site with more information than just a picture is the WoofersEtc. site.

The CTX subwoofers will surprise people with their capabilities at the price point the meet.
A clean 16mm Xmax at this price point for a 10" driver would certainly surprise me :).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hey - I said "looks like" :). The basket, surround and cone construction look very eD-like. Even the price :). There isn't any information on the ID site about the driver though. Neither the 12" version, the CTX124.
Those drives were built using parts from our tooling :) designed by myself for our ID series.

We are slacking on the information for the CTX we launched them at CES, They are available in 4 or 8 ohm and in 10" and 12" models.

My concern would be if the the suspension supports that Xmax. Got any further information available about that driver? Seems the only site with more information than just a picture is the WoofersEtc. site.
Yes the suspension is linear beyond the motors excursion.

A clean 16mm Xmax at this price point for a 10" driver would certainly surprise me :).
Thanks! :D

Eric

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eric, do you have some pictures of these drivers you can post? What would be the 'target market' for these drivers? Would these compare to a JL W0 or W1...or even W3? :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Eric, do you have some pictures of these drivers you can post? What would be the 'target market' for these drivers? Would these compare to a JL W0 or W1...or even W3? :)
I'd like to see this as well, as well as some of more of the technical stuff, e.g. results of a Klippel test.

16mm Xmax at this price bracket? Damn...

FWIW - $80~$120 is sort of the "sweet spot" for me for subs - 10" or 12". Cheaper than that, and the compromises are a little too much for my liking. More expensive than that, and the shipping costs usually put them out of my price reach. Of course if everyone switched to Neo magnets like those used in the Infinity 122.7Ws (I purchased a set recently - currently awaiting their arrival), shipping costs will go down and my sweet spot will move up accordingly :).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW - $80~$120 is sort of the "sweet spot" for me for subs - 10" or 12". Cheaper than that, and the compromises are a little too much for my liking. More expensive than that, and the shipping costs usually put them out of my price reach.
I'm with you there, man. And I'm a sucker for FREE shipping! I'm currently looking for a 10" (either 4 ohm or can be configured to 4 ohm) in that exact price point shipped and with a few other requirements. So far on my list:

JL 10W1
Exile XT10
Polk MM1040

And this ID CTX has piqued my interest as well. Just need to find out more about it!

·
Registered
208 Posts

add this to ur list, the pioneer premier shallow 10" s1001. i have 2 of them in my pickup. being they are pioneer, i wasnt sure, after i got em going i can say they do very well, 500/1 is pushing them, i know there are better woofers, for the price and the handling of the speaker the only thing holding them down is the name, they out perform the w1 by a mile, i am a jl customer, so no bs when i tell u they are a good speaker, i would argue this with anyone, simply bcause i have them.:gossip:

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm with you there, man. And I'm a sucker for FREE shipping! I'm currently looking for a 10" (either 4 ohm or can be configured to 4 ohm) in that exact price point shipped and with a few other requirements. So far on my list:

JL 10W1
Exile XT10
Polk MM1040

And this ID CTX has piqued my interest as well. Just need to find out more about it!
The Exile XT10 has "20mm of peak to peak excursion", according to the literature on the website. The CTX10 supposedly has 16mm of ONE-WAY LINEAR excursion. It will stomp all over the XT10 in terms of SPL and low bass performance. However, it will likely require a larger box. And don't forget, if mounting space is limited, you also have to account for the space you need to leave behind the pole vent, or the result may be distorted low bass and premature driver failure.

The Polk MM1040 is a curious one. Claimed Xmax is 25mm, even more than the ID CTX10 (and more than double the FULL throw of the Exile XT10). Frankly, I'd like to see an independent measurement backing up that claim, as the basket doesn't look like it would support that excursion potential.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Polk MM1040 is a curious one. Claimed Xmax is 25mm, even more than the ID CTX10 (and more than double the FULL throw of the Exile XT10). Frankly, I'd like to see an independent measurement backing up that claim, as the basket doesn't look like it would support that excursion potential.
I assumed the Polk's 25mm was peak to peak (or 12.5mm when using ID's method of measurement) so I'd say it's believable. It does have a nice stroke but seems to reach is limits very easily which might be common for a 10 (I'm used to using 12's...IDQ12's to be exact!).

But the Polk also says it's sensitivity at 1w/1m is 91db. That seems high to me.

Personally I think the Polk sounds phenomenal and I'm very happy with it. But I recently got a new Class D amp and I want to go from 2 ohm to 4 to help with amp cooling, sound quality, and power requirements. My previous amp needed all the help it could get which is why I ran it 2 ohms. Plus this is the only 10 I've had in this vehicle and I'm curious just to try some other stuff. I may just end up keeping the Polk in the end, you never know :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts