DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Image Dynamics CTX10..any info??

10K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  cartoysllc 
#1 ·
I can't seem to find any info on these ID subs, WoofersEtc is the only place I've seen them. Does anybody have any info on these? Specs? Enclosure requirements?

I'm hoping to add this to my short list of low profile, small box 10's along with the Exile 10 and the JL 10W1, but I just can't find any info on them.

CTX104 - Image Dynamics 10" CTX 4 ohm Subwoofer

#8 ·
no it's not, at least i don't recall it being. i have a couple of the ctx12s and they aren't. also i'm sure if they were they'd be a bit more costly.

#10 ·
actually no not yet. :( i've been slacking on that part. i was suppose to put one in a sealed box and one in a ported to see what they sound like but haven't gotten around to building the boxes.

#12 ·
ED?? Nope 100% an Image Dynamics product! ;)

Xmax is very realistic, 38.1mm winding height with an 8mm tall gap so 15.05mm one way all windings in the gap. 16mm to 10% thd is not at all optomistic.

The CTX subwoofers will surprise people with their capabilities at the price point the meet.

Eric

#16 ·
I'd like to see this as well, as well as some of more of the technical stuff, e.g. results of a Klippel test.

16mm Xmax at this price bracket? Damn...

FWIW - $80~$120 is sort of the "sweet spot" for me for subs - 10" or 12". Cheaper than that, and the compromises are a little too much for my liking. More expensive than that, and the shipping costs usually put them out of my price reach. Of course if everyone switched to Neo magnets like those used in the Infinity 122.7Ws (I purchased a set recently - currently awaiting their arrival), shipping costs will go down and my sweet spot will move up accordingly :).

#18 ·
add this to ur list, the pioneer premier shallow 10" s1001. i have 2 of them in my pickup. being they are pioneer, i wasnt sure, after i got em going i can say they do very well, 500/1 is pushing them, i know there are better woofers, for the price and the handling of the speaker the only thing holding them down is the name, they out perform the w1 by a mile, i am a jl customer, so no bs when i tell u they are a good speaker, i would argue this with anyone, simply bcause i have them.:gossip:

#23 ·
Just wanted to bump this thread and hope that Eric is still checking in and getting some pictures of those CTX drivers! How do they differ from the ID drivers? After seeing a picture of an ID10 with the plastic cover off (I had no idea that was a cover!) I think I can fit one of those in my enclosure. I had to immediately cross the ID and IDQ off my list because the magnets were so huge, but since those are just covers I can knock that off and fit it in there I think.

#31 ·
Dang, didn't realize this thread got moved...I've missed the conversation!

Are these made overseas with ID parts or something Eric? I'm just curious...if they are almost like an ID with most of the same parts but at 1/2 the cost, why bother getting an ID? Sell me, man!

#32 ·
Made overseas as is the ID series. We build IDQ and IDMAX here in the USA.

Well the difference is in power handling and required enclosure size. I have had more than 1 dealer say that these will make it hard to sell the ID series.

While the CTX is a great performer it still is not an ID but very close. The CTX will suffer from power compression at a lower power level than the ID and the CTX wont have the same transient performance with very dynamic peaks in the music (slightly less detail).

Eric

#38 · (Edited)
If I do end up changing my amps I think I'm gonna go with a CTX. I'm going nuts after narrowing it down to a field of about 5 subs so I just gotta pick one!

As far as these CTX subs making the ID subs hard to sell..I noticed that all the data sheets for the ID subs were done in 2002 so that design is about 7 years old at least! A lot has changed in those years and I'm sure these CTX's close that gap since they are a new design. I'd still like to see some pictures of the CTX subs though. There is nothing on the website.

#39 ·
As far as these CTX subs making the ID subs hard to sell..I noticed that all the data sheets for the ID subs were done in 2002 so that design is about 7 years old at least! A lot has changed in those years and I'm sure these CTX's close that gap since they are a new design.
Given how much many of us like old school gear, you will be lonely on this opinion. I don't know what 7 years is supposed to get us. Most redesigns extract cost nowadays...

#41 · (Edited)
Hmm...I see lots of love for old school amps understandably, but not old school subs. I feel that in most cases new designs outperform old school designs (no I don't consider the ID 'old school'. My Savards and M&M Godfathers are old school). Even Eric will tell you that the current ID subs designed a few years ago will outperform the older IDQ subs. And I know for a fact the current JL's destroy the ones they had 7 years ago.

But on the other hand, how old is the IDMax design now? 5 years? I don't see that design getting beat for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.