DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been slowly piecing together a setup for my 2010 F150 and am finally down to my final purchase: speakers.

I would like to grab a single pair of ID XS-65' for my front and leave my rear empty (it's a super cab; not a huge space so I don't think I really need rear fill. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Here's my issue. I have a JL Audio HD 900/5 (purchased due to it's size primarily) and am wondering if the amp would provide enough power to a single pair of ID XS-65 speakers. After some reading on the forums here it seems like they're pretty power hungry.

Also wouldn't mind getting some thoughts on the XS-65 in general as my only speakers up front paired with a couple of JL 10w3v3 (4ohm).

Let me know what you think. My budget for front door speakers in my F150 max 450 give or take.

-

Edit: spent a bit more time digging through search results and found this thread:

JL HD 900/5 & XS65 configuration questions

Pretty much answers my first question.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Just bridge your HD900/5 to your XS65 and be happy ;)

They are not power hungry at all. They are more efficient than 90% of the car audio components on the market today...
If you read correctly, I stated that Eric Stevens (the old owner of ID) prefers more power going into the speakers instead of going active while sending less power...

If you have rear speakers, just use your deck power for those.

Kelvin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like good advice. I appreciate the input!!!

Once everything is in place I'll see how it sounds in the truck with and without rear fill.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
they are about 91dB efficient. not power hungry at all. I have mine (currently) on deck power and they get loud enough to rattle my doors (REALLY need dampening, lol) and they sound really nice to boot. I will say this much, they are designed to be midbass. if you dont have subs, you may not like them. they dont dig deep and really do want to be paired to a sub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight minbari!

For some reason I thought I read that it's preferable to run these speakers with more power than what they're rated for.

I'll be the first to admit the limitations of my understanding re; car audio / power / etc, so entirely possible I misunderstood.

I'll have two JL Audio 10w3v3 subs in a sealed pre-fab box (fox acoustics) so I'm not especially worried about how deep these speakers go.

So long as the 900/5 can supply enough power to the speakers I'm happy. After spending some time on the forums here it seems like a lot of members think highly of the amp so this goes a long way to ease my worries.

The only thing I'm not 100% clear on at the moment is the amp and running it in bridged mode. The specs show the amp's bridged power ratings as:

Bridged RMS Power Rating (11V-14.5V):

Bridged, 8 ohms: 200 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 6 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 3 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan
However the speakers are 4ohm, and I might be confused but the way speakers are wired don't they become a 2ohm load together? I was assuming the 900/5 wouldn't support 2ohm bridged, because of the specs above, and I was worried I'd be forced to run them at 75w max per speaker.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
you can run more than they are rated for. even with a 125RMS rating, they will take 200 if it is really clean. so maybe that is what you heard.

no, if you have the x65 and the xs28 wired in the passive set that came with them, then they will have a 4 ohm load on the amp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think that's what I read about them regarding power.

I appreciate you clearing up that detail about the ohm / load. I think the last piece of the puzzle is my head unit, a Pioneer AVH-P4200 DVD and whether of not it will actually allow me to run my speakers in active mode.

I found a random spec sheet on some store front listing the HU as having active crossover, but I can't find any specific mention of it on a reputable site.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know this is an old thread but did you ever get the XS-65's to fit in your doors? I've got a 2013 and I'm thinking about picking up this set

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey,

I did get them installed actually, I bought some pre-made bracket / adapters off ebay and used those for the install. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey,

I did get them installed actually, I bought some pre-made bracket / adapters off ebay and used those for the install. Worked like a charm.
Great, they didn't have too much depth or hit the windows when rolled down? Happen to have any installed pics?

PS: what kind of power you have running to them? Like them?

I have a T 400.4 and will be putting about 75W RMS to each side so idk if that will be underpowering or not

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
they are pretty efficient drivers. 75 watts wont get them really hopping, but will be plenty loud. can always bridge it and get another small amp for the tweeters :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hell, I'll save the $900 if I decide to bridge that 4 channel and I'll get a solid 200W RMS out of each side....I've had some good luck with T series rockfords.....now what to do with factory rears.... It's a supercrew....do I really want another amp just for rearfills

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hell, I'll save the $900 if I decide to bridge that 4 channel and I'll get a solid 200W RMS out of each side....I've had some good luck with T series rockfords.....now what to do with factory rears.... It's a supercrew...
Haha a little headroom never hurt anybody ;)

Also, why not ditch the rears all together if you are running a high powered front stage? Saves you a lot of money and you'll eliminate a lot of potential issues.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts