DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has an experience using the Image Dynamics XS65's with the stock HU. I'm eager to upgrade the system, but don't want to go "all in" at once. Can I live with the IM's, the stock HU and the stock sub for the time being? I figure since the IM's are so efficient that it shouldn't be too hard to get some decent audio out of the stock system.

Thanks, thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have a pair of X65s off of my alpine. it has 18W x 4 and they are pretty efficient as you mentioned. you will not break any records, but they do get pretty loud for what it is.

I am running mine wide open with no crossovers and once you break em in, they even have a pretty decent bass response. but once again, these are designed as a midbass, so dont expect sub bass freqs to play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a pair of X65s off of my alpine. it has 18W x 4 and they are pretty efficient as you mentioned. you will not break any records, but they do get pretty loud for what it is.

I am running mine wide open with no crossovers and once you break em in, they even have a pretty decent bass response. but once again, these are designed as a midbass, so dont expect sub bass freqs to play.
By running "wide open" do you mean that you didn't install the crossovers? What are the pros and cons of installing them...or not, as the case may be. This is the first time I've installed component speakers, advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
The benefit of installing the crossovers is that they crossover the frequencies for you.

Not running them is going active, if you don't use the passive crossovers, you must use active crossovers either through the HU, external processing, or crossovers on the amp. If you don't use a crossover, you'll fry the tweets in no time. Going active gives you more control over your sound, but requires the knowledge to do it.

Chances are if you have to ask, it's probably above your head. I'd recommend using the passive crossovers, and HPF you mid basses from your HU (since you're not running an amp).

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
By running "wide open" do you mean that you didn't install the crossovers? What are the pros and cons of installing them...or not, as the case may be. This is the first time I've installed component speakers, advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
the crossovers that come with the XS series do not do anything to the midbass, it is only for the tweeter.

I am not using the xs28 tweeter, instead opted for the CD1eMH HLCD. if you use the tweeter for the set, you will need to use the crossovers that came with it.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
The benefit of installing the crossovers is that they crossover the frequencies for you.

Not running them is going active, if you don't use the passive crossovers, you must use active crossovers either through the HU, external processing, or crossovers on the amp. If you don't use a crossover, you'll fry the tweets in no time. Going active gives you more control over your sound, but requires the knowledge to do it.

Chances are if you have to ask, it's probably above your head. I'd recommend using the passive crossovers, and HPF you mid basses from your HU (since you're not running an amp).
not true at all. they have no crossovers on the midbasses at all. at 18W, doesnt matter. ;) once I get more amplifers, they will have active control on em. I will agree that you will need the crossovers for the tweeters. even a couple watts will fry tweeters full range.

·
Registered
144 Posts
not true at all. they have no crossovers on the midbasses at all. at 18W, doesnt matter. ;) once I get more amplifers, they will have active control on em. I will agree that you will need the crossovers for the tweeters. even a couple watts will fry tweeters full range.
That's basically what I said. "If you don't run a crossover, you'll blow a tweet", so therefore, you need a crossover. Just because it's only a HPF for the tweet, doesn't mean it isn't a crossover.

How is "You need a crossover, or you'll blow a tweet" not true at all? Maybe I should have specified HPF...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all, this seems to make sense. MrMarv is hooking me up with mounts and instructions on the installation. I'm feeling better already. Thanks for all the great words of advice and warning! Happy Holidays to all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts