DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn and my system configuration is as follows:
Factory RNS-315 HU
Audison BitOne
Arc Audio 4200SE (front running Hertz MLK2-TW components active)
Arc Audio 4200SE (rear running Hertz MLK2-TW components active)
Arc Audio 2150SE (running RE Audio SEX104 10" sub, sealed 1.1cuft)

All drivers (sans sub) mounted in factory locations. Front tweeters hi-passed @ 2250Hz/12dB Butterworth. Front midbasses band-passed 40Hz @ 12dB Butterworth and 2250Hz @ 12dB Butterworth.
Rear tweeteers band-passed @ 2250Hz/12dB Butterworth and 7kHz @ 12dB Butterworth. Rear midbasses are band-passed 40Hz @ 12dB Butterworth and 2250Hz/12dB Butterworth.
I have tuned and T/A the system and have good timbre and tonal quality but I do not like my stage. I am trying not to have to get into relocating drivers or custom enclosures. Car is a daily driver and I am somewhat spoiled by a set of B&W 802D loudspeakers at home. I am considering losing the rears and maybe going 3-way in the front and building some kind of spherical enclosure in the A-Pillar/Sail Panel area but if I can get what I want with what I have that would be great as I already have a tidy sum tied up in the car already with regard to sound.
Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance,

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
what arent you happy with the staging?
you have to define what the actual "problem" or complaint is for anyone to really help.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I know I do not, and would think that many others do not as well, know where the stock speaker locations are in your car. This may help others to give better feedback, suggestions.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just curious, was RTA tuning done? I mean on a per-driver basis?

The reason I asked is because this is what I do when I tune my own car. My wife owns a 1997 Nissan Maxima (which I also tuned) and her two-way front system (in full-active) actually has nice stage depth even if the midbass and tweeters are in the stock locations. Midbass low in the doors, tweeters on the stock locations inside the A-pillars.

Her head unit is the Pioneer DEX-P99RS. Its got the same 31-band left-right EQ as the Audison BitOne.

Using pink noise, I RTA'd first the left tweeter, then the right tweeter. Then the left midbass, then the right midbass. After each RTA reading, I made sure the levels were equal throughout all channels.

End result was very wide stage width (extending to the side mirrors), good stage depth (beyond the windshield), good stage height (roughly nose-level), and tightly focused imaging (a mono voice speaking at the center position appears to come from a tennis-ball-sized area roughly below the rear-view mirror).

By the way, stage depth was judged using the EMMA (European) SQ CD, 2012-edition. There is a track on that CD where several intruments are recorded in 3 layers. The first layer is recorded "in-your-face." The last layer sound like it is coming from a plane that is 2- to 3-feet distant from the first layer. The middle layer should sound like it is coming from a plane roughly between the first and third layer. And this is how it sounded in my wife's car. :)

Perhaps you could try RTA tuning per-driver? :)

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Not running rears, may help with depth. It will also help with focus. Hearing 7khz+ from the rear is going to make it tough to dial in the focus that you want.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I tuned it using the Audison BitTune
Hmm... Maybe you can recheck the orientation of the mic?

My friend who owns a JBL MS8 processor reports significant image improvements when he tilts his head a bit during the MS8 setup process where he has to wear the microphones on his head. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts