DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be fabricating some fglass door pods for my Chevy truck in order to run some CA18s + LPG tweets. I plan on imaging the tweeters, but should I also angle the mids too? What I plan on doing is aiming the tweeters to the opposite head rest. Would the mids need similar anlge, or would it be sufficient to aim more or less at the middle of the seat back or not at all?? I understand that the higher the frequency, the more important the imaging is. I plan on running the CA18s from around 80-3khz, so its going to cover a wide range. I didnt know how important it is to get these imaged and where should the focus be if I do need to image them...thanks in advance.

I will create a build pictoral page as well for others to learn how to fabricate using fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
AzGrower said:
I will create a build pictoral page as well for others to learn how to fabricate using fiberglass.
That'd be nice :cool: . I've never glassed before and that held me up (plus cost and time) from using it in making my door panels.

I'd aim the mids too. While you're going through the trouble, why wouldn't you?

To help balance pathlength discrepencies (read: percieved volume), I aim my speakers on the driver's side a little more off-axis to get things more center. Seems to work for me, not sure how technically-correct this method is, though.

'M excited to see 'em, yer last panels were sick.

-aaron

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ArcL100 said:
'M excited to see 'em, yer last panels were sick.

-aaron
Thanks. I plan to more or less use the same pattern for the glass pods as I did for the mdf ones. Cept I am going to use 1/8" mdf then glue the mounting rings to that, fleece over it, and glass it up...I am planning on covering them in vinyl. The main reason is its more foregiving than painting them as I dont need to worry about pits and small craters in the body filler. If weather permits, I am going to start this weekend...

·
Registered
397 Posts
AFAIK, the frequencies that are critical to imaging are those mid frequencies that your CA18s will be playing. So it's the other way around.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But would that require my mids then to pointed at the listener's head? Or more towards the center of the cabin, like just above my center console area? I know its always necessary to play around with the imaging, and I intend to do so, however I was just wanting a starting point to begin with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The starting point is Trial and error
You`ll learn alot.. freq response Vs imaging. Up to to detirmain what your willing to
comprimise on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts