DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/60-2000 tweeters in pvc cap pods on axis. I'm curious about imaging when it comes to my setup. I have the left tweeter on axis and the right tweeter on axis pointing at my head. Since the tweeters aren't aimed the same is their a possibility of the stage being off? I feel like there is no "air". I guess the right tweeter is a little cocked to the left. If I were to use a laser pointer it wouldn't hit my right ear... would be more like my left ear. I made the angle a lil too far over on the right tweeter. Anyways, here's a picture of what I'm working with... I know these need to be run on-axis to take advantage of their capabilities. let me know what you think. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Really we can all type till the cows come home... but really you need to power them up and move em around to find the correct placement in your vehicle.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Personally I am NOT a big fan of on-axis tweeters. I have yet to hear a tweeter laid back enough to listen to on-axis. All setups just get fatiguing and make me want to take a drill to my ear drums.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Really we can all type till the cows come home... but really you need to power them up and move em around to find the correct placement in your vehicle.
And the truth shall set you free.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would start with a crossfire pattern and go from there. if a tweeter ONLY sounds good on axis, then it cant be that great of a tweeter.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would start with a crossfire pattern and go from there. if a tweeter ONLY sounds good on axis, then it cant be that great of a tweeter.
This is a ring radiator which is known to have poor off-axis response. And having better off-axis response doesn't make a tweeter better. This is a Scanspeak Illuminator so quality isn't the issue. The sound of the tweeter is amazing... just trying to get these set up right. I will get a towel and prop up the right tweeter til I hopefully find the sweet spot. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
All ring Radiators are very directional and do better on axis. Make sure you play with angles on both x & y axis. If you're running active, cut the tweets by about 5-6db's. Cross them 4khz or higher. They will be harsh at around 2-3khz. These tweeters have great top end extension, so you can dial in good tonality and 'airy' sound. 6-7khz is normal sibilance range. You have to be extra careful in this range.

See if you can move them further up the pillars. I had the SR RR's firing at a point about a foot out in front of me towards the rear view mirror. But try different angles and see what works best for your car.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adjusted the right tweeter a little and things came together. thanks for the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts