DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway...

After researching extensively I have found several amp setups that will work for my future 4-way install. The problem is that the price difference is as much as $600 between systems. That is a lot of money for me.

I just want to know that all things equal will I hear a difference between these set-ups?

Xetec 4G600 + Xetec 5G900

DLS A7 + DLS A8

DLS RA20 + DLS RA20 + DLS RA40

JL300/4 + JL300/4 + JL300/2

Alpine MRV-F345 + MRV-F545

Drivers:
Tweets: Seas Lotus silk (probably) or LPG's or SS/Alpine 600001
Mids: Trius 3"
MB: Adire Extremis or Seas Lotus
Sub: ??? single 8" or 10"

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've heard from several people online that the DLS reference sound just as good as their ultimate line, so if you go the DLS route, I'd go for that to save the cash.....

As far as your other choices, your looking at lots of the same stuff I'm looking at, with the amps and speakers :>)

Out of your other choices, it's hard to overlook the JL's because of their great crossover section, but if you don't need the amp crossovers, the rest seem like a toss up to me. The xetecs are getting lots of great reviews online b/c of their size, I guess it just depends on what your priorities are.....size constraints? Crossovers flexibility? Price?

On the speakers, since your planning on using the trius like me :>), I'd go with a tweet that has a great top end.......LPG gets the nod I guess for that kind of duty.......

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SQ_Express said:
sorry to thread hop, but how are you guys getting the trius?
I'm not anytime soon unless I can find out how. :(

Since I will be using an Alpine H701, I will not need any x-over help. I know that I cannot go wrong with the DLS and Xetec choices. I wanted to know if anyone has "downgraded" a system and didn't hear a difference. Or did. :confused:

·
Registered
575 Posts
its going to be tough getting a answer to your amplifier q,s based on the 4 amps you mentioned,all 4 are good amps with slightly different characters,the install and driver placement will have a more pos effect versus an extra 600.00 on amps power aside,everyone will have their favs. :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Go with the most affordable & let your speaker selection & installation take care of the rest.

Trust me, if there was a sonic advantage in certain amps it would have been proven & common knowledge by now...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well the DLS RA, JL Slash & Alpine was tested vs some others for SQ in a seriuos magazine here...

For sound quality the DLS RA came third, the R/F Power 2:nd and PG Xenon toped the list. There is defenitly differencies in SQ between amps. I have the Xenons right now, and they are a good choise for natural, uncolored amplification, if you are looking for something warmer go Genesis, Audison or if you can get them Celestra RA (personal favorite amp at present).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rbsarve said:
Well the DLS RA, JL Slash & Alpine was tested vs some others for SQ in a seriuos magazine here...

For sound quality the DLS RA came third, the R/F Power 2:nd and PG Xenon toped the list. There is defenitly differencies in SQ between amps. I have the Xenons right now, and they are a good choise for natural, uncolored amplification, if you are looking for something warmer go Genesis, Audison or if you can get them Celestra RA (personal favorite amp at present).

Really? PG Xenon came in first and beat DLS RA series? That really surprises me. But I guess the proof is in the pudding. Since you didn't mention the JL and Alpine lines I guess they did not do too well? Do you have the link to that article? I would love to read it! I thought about the PG's, but they are too big for my application. I would have to build a false floor in my hatch which I do not want to do.

By the way Rbsarve, you have a PM concerning the trius drivers.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The mag isn´t online and I doubt you´ll get much out of it anyway, since it´s in Swedish... :) This is DLS home country btw. JL and Alpine was a notch behind, but they didn´t rank them. Oh, sorry, checked the mag, DLS didn´t make the top either, it was a Genesis amp that took third.

My company does distribute PG in this country and was of course very glad of the outcome of the article but did not influence it in any way. And with the prices you guys can get them for I´d go and listen. I have done comparative blind listening tests of several amps, including some really heavy things like Alpines F1 MRV900 (nice, warm amp btw) and the Xenons are a good choise for anyone who wants a neutral sounding amp with power and resonable detail.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Finleyville:

The DLS are nice amplifiers-nice board layout...

I have used both the DLS and the Xetec amplifers, as well as a large number of others. I would have to suggest the Xetec amplifiers. The Gravity 5G-900 is a powerhouse with wonderful controls. If you can afford it, I would go with the P5 EVO. One of nicest looking boards since the old PG MS series !!!

J

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tn_Audiophile said:
I would have to suggest the Xetec amplifiers. The Gravity 5G-900 is a powerhouse with wonderful controls. If you can afford it, I would go with the P5 EVO. One of nicest looking boards since the old PG MS series !!!
J
My ideal setup is the Xetec line. I wish I had the money for the EVO line! But if I could use JL or Alpine, not hear any difference, and save money that would be great.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You have some that will argue you will hear a difference, and you have some that say you wont.

How do you choose who to believe?

My point??? After reading about your dilema for a couple of days, I think it really boils down to whatever gives you peace of mind... Sincerely... how would you know if to you there is a difference without having a referrence?

My personal view on this is the following... There sure seems to be a lack of concrete data showing you can actually hear amplifier sonic signatures above and beyond the inherent distortion & sonic signatures a speaker has in itself.

Yeah, yeah there are tons of subjective reviews... but none show a controlled test for comparison. So in the end how do you choose who to believe?

Now one thing is for sure... those that say amps have sonic signatures & those that don't have something very important in common... They have learned to trust their own ears.

For now, if $$$ is an issue go with what is comfortably within your reach... Don't go thinking once you are done with this set up that will be it... LOL... Everyone knows, you're never done, so chances are you WILL change something, the 1st chance you get ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
i know it was only a matter of time race!! :mad: very good pionts you made,i think the best one was without a ref. how does someone really base anything,that comes down to the end user and his exp or lack there of many products and how the user feels what he,s happy with hearing,but to be honest ,if someone asked me what sounded better one of my old amps ppi 4400 50 by 4 or my adcom 4404 40 by 4,from my own exp i would have to tell them that the adcom spanks it ,much tighter lowend , wider and higher soundstage and more defined midrange detail ,definately not a controlled test,and definatley my own opinion,even though i disagree that amps have no sonic differences i would not blurt that spending more money on amps will make a world of diff.especially not in todays market, as i listed before all the amps will do the job great ,if he threw a kraco roadblaster into the mix though i would have said something!!! :D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The only significant difference while swapping amps to me was cleanliness of the sound - some amps put out a cleaner signal then others - at least in my experience. But then again, that could be a power/gain issue as well, so who knows.

-aaron

·
Registered
880 Posts
Only way to judge amps properly imo is to give them same conditions (adjusted output levels et.c) and do a blind test, ABX style.

I´ve done that on amps, and the differencies between mid-range amps like these are there but they are quite slight. Largest difference IMO is voicing, i.e if it is biased vs "detailed", "neutral" or "warm".

·
Registered
329 Posts
I found my Zed Audio amp to be very clean, neutral, and with better low frequency driver control over my previous more expensive amp.

There a few guys here with more experience who've used Zed, so maybe they'll chime in with their thoughts.

The price is right and you can buy direct from http://www.zedaudio.com

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FocusInCali said:
I found my Zed Audio amp to be very clean, neutral, and with better low frequency driver control over my previous more expensive amp.
I had originally planned on Zed's amps: Leviathan and Draconia. But like the PG Xenon's, they are too big. So even though I want the best set-up for the money, I have to limit my choices even more because of space. Otherwise, Zed, RF Power's, and PG Xenon would also be contenders.

Mr. Raul, you bring up some very good points. Since I have never listened to any of these amps before, my judgement on which is best is moot. However, I know some of you out there change equipment like your underwear. It is your opinions that I was fishing for. I wanted to hear vicariously through you.

Your suggestion to purchase the lowest priced setup then work up from there is a valid one. I am probably one of the slim minority though that keeps their equipment for years before changing out. My last modest system I had for 8 years until I just changed it a month ago. I will research my purchase forever (6 mos. to 1 yr.) before buying. But once I do, I stick with it almost to the end. Therefore, my first decision will be my last for a long time and needs to be the best choice. (I have too many other hobbies that suck up money! ;) )

·
Registered
381 Posts
I second that. What do you guys think of Elevation Audio amps? I'm also on the hunt for new amps and subs. But, I want to buy once and be happy until they fall thru the rust hole that hasn't even begun to develope yet in my Jeep. lol. I was leaning toward the DLS, I also liked what I saw from Zed and others. On another post someone mentioned http://www.cuttingedgeaudio.com/ this morning. I've loved PG in the past, but things change so who knows if they are today what they were seven years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.