DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have been looking for a replacement speakers for my 928 s2 , i would like it to look stock ,however i cannot for the lfe of me find the right combination of driver
the fronts are a 4" mid and a 3 "tweeter (ithink )
the rears are a 5.1/4 mid bass and the same 3" tweeter
i also have a pioneer 77 sub at the back running offa becker head and class d blaupunkt amp ( i am restoring the car and this is a new system apart from the speakers which i dont have yet )

my problem is that even if i replace the fronts with a 4 coax , i will have an odd looking tweeter ( the grills are rubbish by the way )
i have serached everywhere for replacement grills that look normal as oppsed to looking like a rim ,but nada

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You must have a cone tweeter. You can just use a small dome tweeter in its place and paint a black trim ring to go around it. Then it will look normal under the grill. You could also get a large format tweeter and trim it down (most are about 4" in diamater) to fit in the space. Most people would love that much room for a tweeter. Have a look at some large format tweeters to fit in there. How much do you want to spend? A grill is easy to make. Just get one larger than you need and gently hammer it into a mold of the shape you need. Cut off the excess and you're good to go.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
You must have a cone tweeter. You can just use a small dome tweeter in its place and paint a black trim ring to go around it. Then it will look normal under the grill. You could also get a large format tweeter and trim it down (most are about 4" in diamater) to fit in the space. Most people would love that much room for a tweeter. Have a look at some large format tweeters to fit in there. How much do you want to spend? A grill is easy to make. Just get one larger than you need and gently hammer it into a mold of the shape you need. Cut off the excess and you're good to go.
928's have nice stock locations for highs and mids up high in the doors... excellent locations IMHO.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't know if the S2 had a similar door, but yeah, the S4+ had great locations. It's just begging for a 3-way with a midbass in that fat space at the bottom too.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
86 928s door.

If they had those already in 86, surely the S2 would have them as well. I've actually never seen an S2, they must be European.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Large format tweeter heaven right there! Trim a little off a Morel CAT308 or a Hiquphon and you'll love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok , where to start
the grills for the large speakers are missing , i figured i could just put a decent sounding /looking 4 " midbass in there , the small grill are there but will break if i remove them ,they already look flimsy
so if i do a full replacement i need the grilles to look like they came off the same brand , or put a coax and leave the tweeter there , but i must have a grill that fits the tweeter and match the coax looks wise
mooble , money is (almost )no object , its undergoing a full rebuild and a full interior trim , i know what you are thinking but it must look stock .so i have to keep the 2 circle setup . anyone has any idea where to look , bee to all the major players , zilch , nada ,
thanks folks this is a great site for this sort of stuff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mooble , i just cant see how you cut a grille and hammer it to the shape you would want , what about the rim that hold the grill , the rim on the tweeter is sort of broken , how do you deal with that , they are no longer available from porsche , i would be grateful if someone could put me in touch with a real audio dealer , the door acrd panels are being done in 10 days time so a little tight

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't know exactly how they fit in there. To make the grill, just buy some cheap grills from other speakers. I would say a 6.5" grill would work best. Make a mold of the grills you have now or you could used something close. You can make the mold out of anything. You could just carve out a piece of wood, use fiberglass, plaster, whatever. Now that you have a mold, hammer the grill into that shape until it fills out all of the dimensions. You will be left with a lot of excess because you used the larger grill. Trim the excess edges with some tin snips or grind it down, whatever. Repaint it black. Now all you need is to add a trim piece. Most grills just have a little rubber trim around them. You can get this in lots of places. However your current grills attach now, duplicate that. If they have a clip, glue it onto the new grills. You should be able to still get interior clips for the 928.

If you don't want to mess with a trim ring, just hammer out the grill, but instead of trimming off the excess, flatten it out and glue it to the back of the door panel. The downside is that you can't get to the speakers without removing the panel then.

Neither of these will look EXACTLY stock, but they will still look nice and original to anyone but a Porsche collector.

·
Registered
135 Posts
First off to addressthe S2 thing. The S2 just means 2nd generation, S4 fourth. The S thing just was not really used outside of the factory very much tell the S4.

I have had an 82(no grills) and an 89gt(similar or same grills). The tweeters in the gt were not large format. I put MB Quarts QSD's in. The twweters I mounted to the back in place of the factory tweeter using rtv. The tweeter bracket or mount is angled up and forward towards the windshield. Worked great that way by the way. The grills just pop off. If the S2's are not like that maybe the can be replaced with the. I woul email or call Roger at 928s r us or Mark at 928 intl. Not stock look but I did shoe horn the 5 1/4 mid from the QSD's in stock location with an mdf 3/4 inch spacer. Just fit. Grill nearly to top of door and practically touching top of arm rest. Lookedngood and sounded great.
I bet Roger or Mark will have some stock drivers or might know what fits. Those mids are very shalow as the back dose not protrude into the door cavety area (solid wall behind the mid).

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts