DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are some ways to improve sound quality in your mid level equipment? This thread will probably be for people who do car audio for a hobby but aren't looking to spend $400+ on a single part.

In my SUV I have 3way 4 door speakers kenwoods powered by an amp and a ported 12 Alpine Type R on another amp autotek super sport 1500. I have the amps on full range. I do all my EQ through my pioneer deck. 80hz for sub. 80hz for the door speakers. And do the graphic EQ by ear.

I download the highest quality music to play through my iPhone. This is one thing I've done on my own to improve the SQ. Some argue that listening to CDs has better SQ but I'd rater just play through iPhone then have a CDs scattered.

Right now it sounds good to my listening but I want to keep upgrading or keep gaining knowledge on the car audio. This looks to be a basic set up to my knowledge.

What else could be added to improve SQ with all genres of music played?

·
Wave Shepherd
2,416 Posts
Listening to as many other cars as possible is something I'm a big fan of. The best way to learn how to improve your system is to find a system that you really enjoy (someone else's car or even a home theater or nice set of headphones if you like) and then try to figure out what you can change in your setup to make it more like the one you want to emulate.

You will likely get as many suggestions as there are people that respond, but some common inexpensive methods would be tuning and acoustic treatments. Tuning is an art like learning how to play Chess. It's easy to learn how to change the settings, but takes a while to master the techniques. Finding a "reference" system that you enjoy as I mentioned in the first paragraph will start you down that path.

Acoustic treatments are very simple but too often muddied up with wild marketing claims about this product or that. Read what you can from sounddeadenershowdown.com and search here for the install log of DerekVeliz and see what he does for treatments.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I agree with everything Jazzi said. When you establish a baseline (pun intended) it helps to focus your energy (pun possibly intended? see the sound power 101 thread) rather than just randomly changing things in hopes it sounds better. A note on that though: too many people, myself included, start with preconceived notions that may or may not work. Take your 80hz crossover point: almost everyone who sets up their crossovers starts there and doesn't change it. Ever. Instead they do what you are doing, trying to fix nulls and peaks by eqing. Have you tried raising that higher, to say 120 or 150hz?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Putting a pair of tweeters on the dash to raise the sound stage would help.
Adding a small amp and biamping them would be a better improvement.IMO.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the quest just began when you purchased your gears. Half the battle won if you fix the room and it will be homerun if you add some flavoring/spices through tuning.

agree 100% from Jazzi. The hardest goal is something you dont know. listen to cars and be fixated to the one that pleases you most. set your goal and slowly pick it up from there.

Just a tip, there's a lot of suggestions/ tips that you could do to raise SQ. What I do is to exhaust the simpliest/least cost solutions, e.g., tuning, simple deadening, pillars, etc., before deciding to change gears.

thanks

paeng

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Putting a pair of tweeters on the dash to raise the sound stage would help.
Adding a small amp and biamping them would be a better improvement.IMO.

The factory audio system in the FORD SUV was a Mach system that brought a small sub and 2 tweeters in front built in. Those tweeters were already connected to some type of factory crossover. I replaced the tweeters with basic soundstorm tweeters but probably an upgrade from the OEM. The soundstorm tweeters I have now powered by the HU. Those two tweeters are the only speakers powered by the HU. All the other speakers are being powered by the separate amps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already added heavy duty sound deadning to the 4 doors. I cant hear any rattles. The only rattling is from the front of the car where a glasses/sunglass holder is. This only rattles when cranked on full. Working on a solution. Im going to look into how to tune properly by ear, I do not have any of the equipment for that, just my laptop. Ive seen Iphone apps for SPL and tuning but I dont think they will be accurate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The speakers in the front doors are kenwood 3way speakers 60 rms. The 2 tweeters are sound storm connected to the HU. This is probably where I could make an up grade for better SQ (tweeters) if I did make any more. It sounds good now, but I do have to turn the graphic EQ treble down to -1, or it sounds like it has too much treble/highs. Any SQ conflicts in wiring the tweeters through the HU, instead of to an amp?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts