DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current build plan's processing power consist of 1 mini DSP to run my 2 way active fronts, my eclipse HU is VERY limited. I'm running the subs independent for now. I'd like to go three way soon and use 2 mini DSPs (three channels on each for L/R front stage, and two channels left over for a sub channel and possible center) the DSP has a 6 channel parametric on each of the two inputs and the same on each of the four outputs.

The problem I have is I feel this limits my control. I won't be able to adjust the eq in my ride without a laptop hooked up. I have very little room in my truck to install more goodies but I have a single din HU (eclipse CD8052) in a double din dash, so I was considering purchasing an in dash eq. Like one of the Pio DEQ units maybe?

Are there any disadvantages to using an in dash eq and what in dash eqs out there would be versatile enough to fit my needs?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I guess, if you want one, then get one. how often do you fiddle with EQ settings?

I find that when I do a system, I get it close with an RTA, then fiddle enough to make it sound good then leave it alone.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess, if you want one, then get one. how often do you fiddle with EQ settings?

I find that when I do a system, I get it close with an RTA, then fiddle enough to make it sound good then leave it alone.
I will leave it alone once I get it where I want. But it can take me months to get it there, so until then I fool with it alot.

But to be honest, I'd rather not have one at all but all those channels of parametric EQ on the DSP intimidate me. I wouldn't know how to use that much EQ power aside from major trouble areas.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
unless you get something like the pioneer DEQ9200, most in dash EQs only have 5 bands or so anyway.

if you really want to make use of your eq ability, get an RTA. you can make one for about $100 if you have a laptop.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unless you get something like the pioneer DEQ9200, most in dash EQs only have 5 bands or so anyway.

if you really want to make use of your eq ability, get an RTA. you can make one for about $100 if you have a laptop.
Doesn't an RTA just to help find a flat response? Many people claim that a true SQ set up is about so much more than just having a flat response. A graphic EQ is easy for me to play with by ear and set it up for my personal preferences. But with a parametric and RTA (aside from netting a flat response curve) I wouldn't know where to start.

Is 6 channels of parametric EQ per speaker more than enough do anything I could ever hope to? Cause if that's the case I suppose I could just quit being a ***** and learn how to use a parametric EQ properly. :D

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Doesn't an RTA just to help find a flat response? Many people claim that a true SQ set up is about so much more than just having a flat response. A graphic EQ is easy for me to play with by ear and set it up for my personal preferences. But with a parametric and RTA (aside from netting a flat response curve) I wouldn't know where to start.

Is 6 channels of parametric EQ per speaker more than enough do anything I could ever hope to? Cause if that's the case I suppose I could just quit being a ***** and learn how to use a parametric EQ properly. :D
well yes, but a flat response is a good starting point. once you have that, you can tweak until it sounds the way you like it, but you also have a way to go back to a known position if you screw it up.

ha ha, yes, 6 PEQ channels are ussualy plenty. I vote for the un-pussification as well ;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes, the parametric EQ in the minidsp software should be more than adequate for anything you need to do. A parametric EQ is a MUCH more powerful tuning tool than a graphic EQ is. With a parametric you can focus in on the problem frequencies and boost or cut a very narrow or very wide range of frequencies at once vs. adjusting each frequency individually on a graphic EQ.

Also, having hands on experience with the minidsp software, what you may not realize is that you have a 6 band parametric for left and right as well as a 6 band parametric for each speaker. So you have A LOT of control. You use the EQ on the 2 input channels to contour the sound to your liking, IE, put your fletcher-munson curves here. Then you use the EQ on each speaker to fix problems with individual speaker response.

Really though, as noted, without an RTA to show you what effect the changes you make are having on the actual frequency response you are really just shooting in the dark at fixing problems. An RTA is very good at pointing out blatant issues very quickly with very little trial and error and can also be used to zero in on the more subtle issues

·
Registered
510 Posts
i bought a 1/2 din kicker eq. didn't put it in the dash though, threw it in back with the amps and subs since all i needed was the part for the sub XO. my head unit only allowed one frequency band in the lower frequencies and i need(ed) at least two.

debating on whether or not i should move it up front just so i can play with it on the fly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts