DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has developed crippling arthritis, but still loves going for rides. So I'm making a bed for him with an extended platform on the passenger seat in my truck, '91 GMC Sierra, so he can see out.

But this will completely block off the speaker I have in the passenger door.

My thought is to put the NS3 in the stock dash openings (4x6). The choice of speakers is limited by the protrusions below the opening, 1.5" depth at the most before the protrusions get in the way. The NS3 will fit because of the unusual shape with the narrow magnet structure, which will clear the protrusions.

I have LPG tweeters installed in the a-pillars. Will this cause problems with the tweeters firing across the dash and the NS3 (3" away from the tweeters) firing up out of the dash?

There is a 10" sub between the seats. I could low pass the sub at about 100Hz and the high pass the NS3 at about 200Hz.

I know it's not an ideal setup, but trying to work with what I have available now.

Any other ideas would be welcomed.

G

·
I, for one, think it's a fine idea. The only real concern with the NS3 is the low efficiency. As far as mids firing up, tweets firing across ... it's been done many times with success. Look at the reflection of the mid in the windshield, we call that the speaker's "image". And this "phantom" location will probably dominate the soundfield generated.

Also, I bow down to your character, my good sir. A love for canines ... creatures of finer character than most **** sapiens who walk this planet ... tells me you've got your priorities right.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input and kind words werewolf.

Your "phantom" TG9 looks interesting, seems that it might also fit. Too bad we don't know anymore about it, or where to get it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your friend...

How do you like the LPG/Aura NS3 combo? Where do you have them crossed over and what kind of power are you running to them?

I was thinking about getting a set of the NS3's ($10.50 a driver) and mating them with my LPG soft domes. Thanks...

Justin

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Justin,

Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now.

I haven't installed the NS3's yet, so I can't answer your question.

I've been looking around for other options but haven't found anything else that fits the odd install limitations.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
SQ_Express said:
I was thinking about getting a set of the NS3's ($10.50 a driver) and mating them with my LPG soft domes.
WHAT!....10.50 a driver....wow, thought they were a tad more expensive than that....might have to get me some soon :) MAdisound has them at 20 a driver....where is it less...if you don't mind letter anyone know.

How about mating them with the LPG metal dome, the 26.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
demon2091tb said:
How about mating them with the LPG metal dome, the 26.
Wish I could, it would fit easily. However, I need to use something that will do at least 200Hz to 3KHz. 100Hz would be better but difficult in a shallow 3"/4" speaker.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
woops, my fault. I was pricing the 194's, not the 193's. you are right, they go for 19.50 at madisound.

CDJ, I just ordered mine two days ago, so if I get mine installed first, i'll let you know how they sound. I'm doing something different than you, I'm making speaker pods in the dash to hold the ns3-193 and a lpg. I hope these work well...if not i might get a few of the whispers and make an array on my dash.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SQ_Express said:
CDJ, I just ordered mine two days ago, so if I get mine installed first, i'll let you know how they sound. I'm doing something different than you, I'm making speaker pods in the dash to hold the ns3-193 and a lpg. I hope these work well...if not i might get a few of the whispers and make an array on my dash.
I'll look forward to your impressions of the set-up.

I hadn't planned on it but dash pods might not be a bad idea, would open up the choice of speakers. Have to give that some serious thought. Thanks for the idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.