DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The first strokers were incredible. Never owned one but always wanted to.
The newer version suck, well besides the PRO. I tried the second version and was very dissapointed with SQ. The spl was there but SQ was poor. I never got to listen to the third version but wouldnt even bother since I have the first and very happy with them.

If I was to replace those, I might go with the Ultimo SC or a Fi X or even a W6V2. Am looking to get a single 10 or 8 that wont take much space and put out some good SQ. Not looking for spl or thousands of watts, as I will only feed it a good 500watts or less.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Since when was Phonix Gold a hi-end brand for them to try to retail a sub over 800.00?? I know the old school PG was top notch, but the new stuff is pretty much crap and by looking at that sub am proven right. Sorry guys but thats just my opinion.

And am sure you can find them for less than 300 brand new.
You have no clue what your talking about (sorry, didnt realize someone already explained the value of it). This is not a new sub. Its from almost 10yrs ago! The original titanium series and is one of the best sq subs ever produced. Anyone that has ever spent time with one knows exactly what it can do (nothing it can't do really?) They were very expensive and shops didn't exactly keep them in stock because of it so they didn't get a ton of exposure. That and the insane amount of depth!

What was said earlier is absolutely true....bigger box for the TI will do wonders. The JL in that boxy is going to lend itself to the booty side (gotta member the market for that setup in a shop;) a smaller box (although just slightly) will fix some of the complaints. They are great sub as well!
the ultimo's are nice but never "wowed" me?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The newer version suck, well besides the PRO. I tried the second version and was very dissapointed with SQ. The spl was there but SQ was poor. I never got to listen to the third version but wouldnt even bother since I have the first and very happy with them.

If I was to replace those, I might go with the Ultimo SC or a Fi X or even a W6V2. Am looking to get a single 10 or 8 that wont take much space and put out some good SQ. Not looking for spl or thousands of watts, as I will only feed it a good 500watts or less.
Just curious.....how did you run the pro? I have never heard someone that preferred the original over the pro? Not saying its not subjective just curious about how you ran it? The pro is one of my favs if I can fit it, afford power, and the sub itself as well:)
I do love the originals too. I also found the vmax really good for the $ as wells so I may be out in left field? Wouldn't be the first time:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
UPDATE!

Just put another hour into dialing in the PG and it sounds absolutely amazing! To the point that I checked my card to see if the dealer had charged me for the Morel yet, yes he did. If not, I was going to cancel and say thats it! This is what I have been looking for in a sub!

This is an extremely musical sub yet is able to hit the low notes with authority. It links up with my comps WONDERFULLY, sooooo much more so than the Jl, it was really no contest. I cant imagine the Morel is going to be any better than the Ti, I just dont see how it could. The Ti has that nearly magical quality of disappearing yet you always know its there, god damn it I love this sub!

The Phoenix Gold Ti12d elite is more than likely the best sub I have ever owned.

I am still going to shoot out the Morel (I think), I just dont see where there is room for improvement over the PG. If I keep the PG I will pick up a 1.5-1.7 enclosure, I think there is room for improvement with the larger box.

FYI I put the Jl up for sale in the classified section today, hope to get some bites. There may be a brand new, in the box Morel Ultimo SC12 following it next week. I just havent decided if testing it is worth the depreciation. On the other hand, damn, its right here in my face!!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Glad you like the Ti. I've always liked it. It's leaps and bounds above the entry level Ti. I know what you're saying about the Ultimo. The Ti is definately going to have more output but I think you'll be surprised at it's ability to integrate and hit those low notes. The choice is yours... The depreciation from simply testing the sub for a few hours will be very low.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Glad you like the Ti. I've always liked it. It's leaps and bounds above the entry level Ti. I know what you're saying about the Ultimo. The Ti is definately going to have more output but I think you'll be surprised at it's ability to integrate and hit those low notes. The choice is yours... The depreciation from simply testing the sub for a few hours will be very low.
I have to agree with you about the depreciation, I FOR SURE am going to test it, how often does a person have a chance to have three subs like this at the same time? Im taking advantage of the situation, Im auditioning them all and keeping the one I like! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
oldskewl
That Ti12d really sux. I think you should box it up and send it to me to go with my sucky Ti Elite 951 an Ti Elite 6 components. :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Just curious.....how did you run the pro? I have never heard someone that preferred the original over the pro? Not saying its not subjective just curious about how you ran it? The pro is one of my favs if I can fit it, afford power, and the sub itself as well:)
I do love the originals too. I also found the vmax really good for the $ as wells so I may be out in left field? Wouldn't be the first time:)
I didnt say the original stroker was better than the Pro. I said the Pro is the better than all of the newer ones. I only hear the Pro but never owned it. I had a chance to buy two but I slept on the auction and ended 250.00 for two Pro's.

Like I said before I didnt know shit about the PG, I guess you didnt read my earlier post.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Couldnt resist, I ordered a 1.44 box today. Gotta give the Morel its best chance!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I didnt say the original stroker was better than the Pro. I said the Pro is the better than all of the newer ones. I only hear the Pro but never owned it. I had a chance to buy two but I slept on the auction and ended 250.00 for two Pro's.

Like I said before I didnt know shit about the PG, I guess you didnt read my earlier post.
Actually I did read your earlier posts.....thats why I edited it!!!!!! read between the ( ). Its just painful to read things that are so negative when they say they dont know anything about it? Why bother saying anything? Thats the stuff thats just not needed and very dangerous to those that are on here seeking knowledge. Now, dont take this to heart, I have read countless posts of yours and its not like you dont know what your talking about. 99% of the time you provide great insight! I hope you dont take offense to what I wrote, I was just adding some insight to the history of the woofer.

WOW 2 Pro's for $250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats insane!!!!!!!!!!! I miss read what you wrote about the pro vs orig. Not that the latter could not be preffered of course.... The regular stroker (from the same lineup with the pro) I found ok, but extremely box specifiic and required a great deal of break in time. Still not something I would want in every situation.... If you wanted to rumble your kidneys they could do it though :)
I have not heard the newer strokers though? Or anything new from CV for that matter with the exception of the pro audio line (local shop brought them in for a specific market that is looking for loud and nasty sounding stuff) THEY WERE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe people want that in the car!
Again, I did edit the post (it says sorry, didnt realize someone already explained the value of it!) I did it on my phone earlier in the day and didnt realize that there was more to the thread until I looked at it later (thought my post was deleted till I saw it way down the line). I am sorry if it came across that bad, certainly didnt mean to offend you in the manner it was taken. I do think some more research should be done before words that negative are said about something in the future?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I didnt take anything personally, and I understand the whole dont throw your opinion if you've never tried it concept. I just couldnt resist on how ugly the PG looks, it looks cheaply made, but then again I've never seen it in person. I also thought it was a newer model from the crappy stuff PG now makes.

No hard feelings, I hope you dont take it personally either. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
In your testing, you've only measured the quality of your install, not actual sub capabilities (which may or not be a goood thing). You have, however, exposed your lack of midbass.

Try listening to your system with only the subwoofer on and tell us what differences you notice between the subs.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
In your testing, you've only measured the quality of your install, not actual sub capabilities (which may or not be a goood thing). You have, however, exposed your lack of midbass.

Try listening to your system with only the subwoofer on and tell us what differences you notice between the subs.
Thats pretty much the only way to actually see/hear if there are any differences. Just the sub on everything else off, ofcourse after that you can turn on the rest of the system and hear how it blends in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Thats pretty much the only way to actually see/hear if there are any differences. Just the sub on everything else off, ofcourse after that you can turn on the rest of the system and hear how it blends in.
There was a MASSIVE difference between the Jl and the PG and I didnt have to turn off my front end to hear it.

I prefer to do my tuning with ALL my drivers being driven.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
UPDATE!

Sold the Jl! Gave a guy a fair deal, $375. He had to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to get it so I gave him a good price.

Anyway, I did slip the Jl in so the guy could audition it, and I tell you what, the way that sub moves air will be missed by me. No, its not as accurate as say the PG or I am sure the Morel, but if you want to feel the electricity in the air that JL humps.

Moving on, I have the PG for sale on fleabay, enclosure and all. Reasoning? Well, the sub sounds AWESOME, however, like most 1000 watt RMS and up subs, it really needs some power to make it sound alive. That means running my volume higher than I normally would and I dont like that. At easy listening levels there just isnt much going on with the PG. Smooth yes. Punchy no. Turn up the volume to 3/4 though and DAMN! The PG comes alive and is amazing. After a week with the PG my ears are ringing so it must go.

I am counting on the Ultimo SC to be everything it is said to be.

I figure being a 600 watt driver the SC will be more responsive at lower listening volumes when compared to the PG or JL.

21 - 40 of 191 Posts