DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
In your testing, you've only measured the quality of your install, not actual sub capabilities (which may or not be a goood thing). You have, however, exposed your lack of midbass.

Try listening to your system with only the subwoofer on and tell us what differences you notice between the subs.
Ummm, no, I tested how two different subs performed in my install. Yes, I am lacking potent mid-bass, just like with most other two way front ends. I am searching for the subwoofer that covers this flaw most effectively.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Ummm, no, I tested how two different subs performed in my install. Yes, I am lacking potent mid-bass, just like with most other two way front ends. I am searching for the subwoofer that covers this flaw most effectively.
I tell ya man... I switched out my mids to some Dynaudio MW160s... eq'd the frontstage and damn! much more midbass! Now I have to turn the morel to zero on my head unit. That sub has EXCELLENT output and hits very low. I have to say this is absolutely the best subwoofer I have ever owned. I really can't see how anyone would not like it. Every beat is so fast and responsive! I was playing the Focal #8 CD yesterday (track 4) and man... that thing dug deep. I'm a happy fanboy lol. :pepper:

PS... I noticed that you keep ordering prefab boxes... That sub deserves a custom built enclosure. It'll be worth it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I tell ya man... I switched out my mids to some Dynaudio MW160s... eq'd the frontstage and damn! much more midbass! Now I have to turn the morel to zero on my head unit. That sub has EXCELLENT output and hits very low. I have to say this is absolutely the best subwoofer I have ever owned. I really can't see how anyone would not like it. Every beat is so fast and responsive! I was playing the Focal #8 CD yesterday (track 4) and man... that thing dug deep. I'm a happy fanboy lol. :pepper:

PS... I noticed that you keep ordering prefab boxes... That sub deserves a custom built enclosure. It'll be worth it.
I like 3,4,5 and 11 on that CD. The JL was on its own box from factory, but I agree the Ultimo and the PG should have their own custom enclosure. If you liked the midbass on #3, try track 11.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear you are letting the Ti go, it's one of the first subs I ever heard that actually made me concerned standing too close to it while in action. I still remember it form 8-9 yrs ago. I am sure there are new subs that can out perform, but one thing is for sure that is a monster that pounds.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I like 3,4,5 and 11 on that CD. The JL was on its own box from factory, but I agree the Ultimo and the PG should have their own custom enclosure. If you liked the midbass on #3, try track 11.
Yes! Track 11 does rock! I was rocking that one really loud yesterday while driving down I-5. I turned my sub off just to feel my pants move from the midbass. I really like Focal #8... It's my favorite of the Focal CDs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
UPDATE!

Well the Morel has arrived. First impressions: Underbuilt. Cheap. Small. Lightweight. When set beside the 12w7 or the Ti12d there is no comparison, the Ultimo SC looks like a POS. I havent had a sub that looks this cheap in my car for at least 15 years.

The Morel feels like a frisbie when compared to the w7 or Ti12d, lets hope it sounds better than it looks. By a mile.

I have a bad RCA in my car so will not be doing any testing until Thursday evening, will give you an update then.

I am seriously disappointed with the build quality on the SC.

·
Registered
797 Posts
To me that's the look of SQ

The huge magnets & all that is more SPL....

Looking forward to your review, I was planning on buying a Ultimo in the next week or two. I was thinking maybe I should send you my old IDQ12 to compare how that sounds......

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
To me that's the look of SQ

The huge magnets & all that is more SPL....

Looking forward to your review, I was planning on buying a Ultimo in the next week or two. I was thinking maybe I should send you my old IDQ12 to compare how that sounds......
I agree. SQ subs are usually dwarfed my SPL monsters. I feel that the Morel is built well. Ever hold a idqv2 in your hand? How about a Stereo Integrity MKlll? The Morel is built ALOT better than even the IDQv3. The baskets crack all the time on the v3 due to fragile material used for the basket. I think you'll like the sound of the Morel... update us when ya can.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Agreed. I've had a W7, IDMAX, W10Gti, and felt the Morel is extremely well built. A lot of attention to detail and good quality parts used for the construction.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
UPDATE!

Taking the afternoon off just to get my install done! I purchased a new RCA, I have the Morel mounted and I am about to tackle the install. Look for another update with first impressions later this afternoon!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
UPDATE!!

The Morel and new RCA are in! WOW! HOLY F***!

After an hour of demo time here are my thoughts:

The Morel is phenomenal! Extremely musical. Very transparent. You can almost see the fingers on the bass string with the Ultimo SC. This sub will get decently loud however its forte is SQ. It digs deep yet never over powers the rest of the system like the Jl or Ti12d.

I absolutely love this subwoofer and am glad I went down this road.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Interesting review... I almost expected you to prefer the W7 based on the first two reviews, but intruiging that you like the Morel. I absolutely love the one in my truck, never thought I would be completely satisfied without that "eyeball rattling" bass.

·
Registered
797 Posts
LOL..... & to think you just stated it's build quality wasn't good & wondered how it could improve on the PG Ti sub....

thanks for the writeup & spending your money testing out a few subs for us...... however I was hopeing you didn't like it......now it's another reason I must get one.

41 - 60 of 191 Posts