DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to setup a quasi active front stage. I have midbass covered already and they will be playing up to about 300hz. I'm looking into the Dayton 2nd order Passives crossed at 4.5khz. The first mid that came to mind was the dayton rs100-8. Being fullrange it would have no issue playing that high. And then probably a LPG tweeter.

Here's where the issue comes in. the Dayton mid is only rated at around 84db sens iirc. Not to mention it will be off axis and I'm worried it may not keep up with the rest of my system volume-wise. I am coming out of a set of pioneer TS d1720c that just barely keep up as it is on some songs . I run 2 Dayton HO 10s on a kicker zx750. Does anyone know of a 8 ohm driver preferably 5.25 or 6.5 but can do 4 that plays down to 300hz, will work with the Dayton passive, and will maintain volume?

amp is Boston gt40

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
talked to a pe tech and found out that any 8 ohm mid will work as long as it will play up to my xover point comfortably. so does anyone know of a mid that will play up to 4.5k or 5k comfortably without breaking the bank?

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
What midbass are you using? Timbre matching is important if you want a good sound.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a set of Kicker ssmb6s I got brand new for a good deal.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
Try the Dayton RS100's(I think that's the 3") and the TB Bamboo's. Also may want to look into the M&K 3.5's in the hot deals section, for $12.50 ea it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try the Dayton RS100's(I think that's the 3") and the TB Bamboo's. Also may want to look into the M&K 3.5's in the hot deals section, for $12.50 ea it's worth a shot.
the dayton rs100 was my first choice but im scared of the low sensitivity, scared it may not keep up volume wise. especially being off axis in either my kicks or door.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The Fountek fr88 gets my vote. Heard a pair a couple weeks ago and they played from 315 on up with little need for a tweeter. However, I've heard the LPG aluminum is wonderful from like 5k and up. The Tang Bamboo is also a wonderful sounding driver but definately needs a tweeter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Fountek fr88 gets my vote. Heard a pair a couple weeks ago and they played from 315 on up with little need for a tweeter. However, I've heard the LPG aluminum is wonderful from like 5k and up. The Tang Bamboo is also a wonderful sounding driver but definately needs a tweeter.
sounds like me there! I was planning on using LPG aluminums up top anyway! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about the Fw168? but maybe a lower xover point around about 3.5k or 3k?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my only issue with that driver is that its only 3". my hole is already cut out for 6.5 so I guess a baffle would make it work but I'd prefer to atleast get a 5.25 unless that driver is really worth it. also how was the install on the ones you heard? a pillars? enclosure? doors?

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The install I heard with them were in pillar pods and on axis. Another driver worth looking into as a dedicated midrange is the Peerless Exclusive. Great smooth sound to them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not sure if this can work....but what about a coaxial speaker down low, then another tweeter up high crossed at like 5khz to raise the stage? just an idea

1 - 13 of 13 Posts