DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone, I'm turning to you once again for advice.

I went to Best Buy tonight to have my brand new (from Sonic Electronix) Kenwood x995 installed-- I had it done there because they were $40 cheaper than my local shop, have been much more helpful to me and I have no work space (I rent an apartment).

I spoke with the installer when he was done and he said that he had to run a new accessory, ground and power wire to the HU. He was mum as to why this was necessary.

He also informed me that my left front speakers aren't working. I know for a fact that they were working before. I got in the car and tried to change the balance and he is absolutely right-- the front left speakers (6.5" driver and tweeter in stock locations running from stock Monsoon amp) aren't working.

He said that he didn't think it was anything that he had done (of course). He didn't touch the doors and he said that everything in the back of the deck was wired correctly.

I have two questions.

1. To what extent should I attempt to be compensated by Best Buy for this? Should I have them pay for the installation of new speakers? Should I ask for a refund for this installation service?

2. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The amp wasn't touched nor was any of the other wiring besides what connected to the deck. Is it possible that something is wrong with the head unit?

Thanks in advance everyone. I've never had an issue like this before, but I know that Best Buy will compensate me in whatever way I seek.

John

·
Registered
172 Posts
i know im impatient when it comes to stuff like this you should probably have them take the new deck out and put the old one back in if you know for a fact the speakers worked before this. If the speakers do work after they do this send the new deck back as defective if they dont then it is probably something they did.

·
Registered
380 Posts
First off you should have never went to Bestbuy.Most of there installers are amateurs, not all I am not trying to insult anybody that works there but you just don't know the level of knowledge of the installer that is going to be working on your car. As for your headunit it is very well possible that may be the problem, you could have received something that was defective or possibly a refurbished headunit. There could be a number of possible things that could of went wrong. The best way to trouble shoot it would be process of elimination.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that I shouldn't have gone to Best Buy, but it seemed like a great deal. Can I have them just test to see if the wires are sending power to those speakers? I would then push Best Buy to do whatever they had to to rectify the situation or I would take the HU out to ship back.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I know that I shouldn't have gone to Best Buy, but it seemed like a great deal. Can I have them just test to see if the wires are sending power to those speakers? I would then push Best Buy to do whatever they had to to rectify the situation or I would take the HU out to ship back.
Have them hook up you old headunit to a 12v source and tap into the amp where ever it is located so they dont have to pull out your new headunit. It should only take a few minutes. You could even do it yourself if you have something to power it up with and some rca cables laying around. Actually you could hook up the unit head to the power wires right at the amp

·
Registered
696 Posts
Google best buy installs and you'll get pages of horror stories. There not gonna pay for speakers and a install nor are they gonna offer a fund. They will most likely say they installed the hu correctly and aren't responsible for any install work that was done prior.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, I'm sitting in my car testing everything now. I've balanced everything to the left side, and I do get some sound out of the left channel.

In the front, it sounds like the midbass driver is trying to play the signal that's supposed to go to the tweeters. There

When I isloate the left rears, everything sounds broken up. I'm starting to think that there's a wiring issue in here... Maybe the tweeters are getting the signal that's meant for the midbass on the left channel and the midbass the tweeter signal.

I'm taking all of your comments seriously. I've gotten $1600 out of bestbuy before for a raw deal on a computer. If I have to, I can be the noisy wheel.

I might take my car to the local pro shop tomorrow and trouble shoot with them. And then pay them to fix it...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yup, that's what I figured. I'm going to be going to ****tiest buy tomorrow and raise some hell. They'll make the connections right at the very least, if not refund me the money for the install.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an update for everyone.

I took my car back to Best Buy and they looked at it. The senior installer just called me on the phone and said that the magnet for the stock tweeter had come off and was causing the issue.

I was puzzled by this until he brought up the driver side mirror-- it has a different tint than does my passenger side mirror (passenger side tinted blue-ish, driver side regular). I never questioned it, just acknowledged that someone probably hit the driver side mirror and the previous owner replaced it with a cheapo.

He brought up the mirror because it was loosely secured, and is positioned directly behind the stock tweeter location. It's entirely possible that the jiggling of the mirror damaged the tweeter. I noticed today that the plastic around the tweeter looked a little peculiar, so it's also possible that the tech whacked the tweeter with his light or a tool when he was trying to remove the dash. The tweeter being damaged would, in my mind, explain why the woofer is getting just the vocal stuff. If I'm not mistaken, the front component speakers in a Monsoon system are wired in series so it would **** the whole thing up if one of the components in the circuit wasn't working. Is my logic flawed at all here?

The senior installer said that he fixed the issue with the rear left channel-- just some preset features within the deck that needed to be defeated.

I'm on my way to pick it up now. Should be free of charge or I'm going to bust a nut.

I'm very happy that it's not an issue with the deck; I don't really care about the front speakers at all anyway since I'll be upgrading soon. I learned a valuable lesson though: go to the local shop instead, I was freaking out last night as I was reading horror stories from other peoples' installs. My local shop wouldn't have just shrugged as they handed me the keys last night like Best Buy did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts