DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So last time I did anything involving car stereos was like 16 years ago. My wife’s stereo in her car said goodbye last week so we decided to get a new one. She has a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix. We went to the store and bought a pioneer fh-s52bt receiver. Guy at the store said we would need a harness adapter to plug it in and got us a Metra wm-gm11-swc. Now I’m staring at this wondering how I got into this. Years ago it was like 18 wires in a single connector and I was done. Her factory stereo has 2 connectors, the new stereo has 1. The harness I bought has more wires by a mile then I need. Also the antenna plug is completely the wrong size, didn’t know that was a thing till now. Someone please rescue me

·
Premium Member
2007 DC Tundra 4x4
205 Posts
I would guess you have wrong harness. I would say go to crutchfeild, and check there, but I don t see that particular headunit on their site. Pioneer has a fitment page that shows aftermarket headunits available for that car. You need to add the required info, and select headunit. I don t see that particular headunit as one that s compatable to that car.
The page is here. You sure the model # isn t fh-s520bt because that s what Pioneer site shows?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I’m sure that’s the model number. She picked it out at Walmart (I know, I know). I can provide pictures of that will help. Any way I can make this thing work?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I Just checked metra online. Your car has the option for a digital amp. If it does have a digital amp it would require a different wiring harness. This is from there website to help you identify what you got.
"These vehicles have a digital amplifier option. Please refer to the Service Parts Identification sticker located in the glove box (for all models except for the Buick Regal which is on the spare tire cover). If the codes UQA or Y91 are present then you have a digital amplifier."

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds like you need an antenna adapter and verify you have the correct harness. I wouldn’t be concerned about the extra wires, the harnesses are usually made to fit multiple vehicles possibly with features yours doesn’t have like Power antenna/steering wheel controls/nav/back up camera.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah I’m sure that’s the model number. She picked it out at Walmart (I know, I know). I can provide pictures of that will help. Any way I can make this thing work?
If she got it at Walmart then it's really like 2 maybe 3 or 4 different cars that it is compatible with. They can kinda confusing. But you also need an antenna adapter. Crutchfield will tell you the model numbers. The easiest way is to add a radio to your cart. Then see what they recommend for your vehicle.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If she got it at Walmart then it's really like 2 maybe 3 or 4 different cars that it is compatible with. They can kinda confusing. But you also need an antenna adapter. Crutchfield will tell you the model numbers. The easiest way is to add a radio to your cart. Then see what they recommend for your vehicle.
2/3 maybe 4.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Take the stuff you've got back.

Go to Crutchfield and order it with the harness pre-made. Plug and play.

The extra $15 (what it was the last time I suggested it to somebody) is cheap compared to the time I charge someone to solder and heat shrink harnesses for the same.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: skylineqrt4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I think we already tossed the receipt cause I’m an idiot. When the wife has a moment I’m gonna have her send me a pic of that sticker with the codes

·
Registered
449 Posts
Daloudin’s got the right answer - They should still
give you store credit or take it as a $40 learning experience.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Whaaaaaaa....take it back get store credit. Get whatever they'll give you. Then call....call. call Crutchfield and they will wire and wrap the harness for you. Just make sure to call them and if have the dash apart already they can send you emails of the harness if they have multiple options. That way you can match the plugs up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts