1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DIYMA Admin
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal.
Bought a 2001 Mustang GT.
It has the Mach460 system in it.
I had the stock 6 cd changer H/U removed and installed a Pioneer AVH-3300bt.
The problem I'm having(or going to have once I get to it) is that once I add an aftermarket amp(AQ1200d) to push a couple of SA-10's the volume control will be all f-ed up due to the factory amps(there are three) that push the stock speakers.
I've already noticed that when I get to about 17 on the Pioneer volume control, the stock speakers are already pretty loud. I'm assuming this is because the Pioneer H/U puts out more power than the stock H/U did.
But once I add the aftermarket amp, and set the input level at 3/4 volume(roughly 48 on the pioneer volume control), I'll get hardly any bass out of it because if I were to turn the volume control up to anything near 30 the stock speakers will be stressed, probably blown, but will not be getting anything from the SA-10's.

I really don't want to have to gut the Mach460 out of the car. The sound is pretty good.

Could I just set the input level on the aftermarket amp at a lower volume on the H/U to balance it out, or is going aftermarket all the way around my only option?

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I'd crank the gain on the aftermarket amp for the 10s to level match it to the factory setup. In other words, if your factory speakers tend to max out at 17 to 18 on the aftermarket HU with the stock Mach setup, make your 10s max out at the same volume level.

Think of the gain on your aftermarket amplifier as a way to level match and throw that 3/4 volume gain setting philosophy out of the window because it does not apply in your situation.

Reactions: Ban Hammer

·
DIYMA Admin
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking I should do.

Right around 23 on the Pioneer volume control, the stock speakers start to distort a little. So I'll meter the amp for the SA-10's @ about 17 on the volume control. That should balance out the bass with the Mach460 front stage speakers.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Were you able to get them to level match?

I had a similar issue in a factory amplified setup with a pioneer avh-3200bt.
fixed it by using the pre-outs instead of runnning it hot off the speaker level outs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts