DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Infinite Baffle 12" sub suggestions? *updated Q*

Any suggestions here? I am looking for a pair of 10" subs for my rear deck....I have no idea what subs sound good in an infinite baffle situation, I usually deal with sealed boxes.........

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need to re-do this question now that I've researched the heck out of it. :>)

I'm still leaning toward an IB setup in my rear deck, now I'm looking at doing 2 12" subs. I saw the peerless 830877's are coming out soon, and there sensitivity numbers are great! So between the Peerless model and the Dayton Reference, which do you think would work best in an IB setup?

Also, not that this is extremely important for my setup(if it was, I wouldn't be going w/ an IB setup), but it would be a huge plus if I could crank it on occasion and get 140+db out of my system.

Everything is goin to be powered well, but do you think two of either of these subs is capable of that? If not, is there anything that would be able to w/o sacrificing all of the SQ that these subs are so good at for the price?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Both seem not quite right for IB but probably can work out OK and sound good.
I would not expect big SPL numbers from an IB set up unless you uses some high excursion monsters(IDMAX, JBL GTi maybe?) or something like 15" subs.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I could go sealed too, but I was trying to achieve everything I want with IB because it saves space and weight for me.........

·
Registered
149 Posts
I remember a post where npdang was talking about the XXLS series subs being well suited for infinite baffle, at least on paper that is....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That orion sub is crazy. 2000 watts? I wish I could afford to power that sucker.......the specs look crazy too. VERY high qts measurement, and response out to 1500hz? lol

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess that's a problem then......sealed maybe? It would eat my trunk, but with the need for such a deep driver in my rear deck, my trunk would be eaten anyway..........

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
xencloud said:
Also, not that this is extremely important for my setup(if it was, I wouldn't be going w/ an IB setup), but it would be a huge plus if I could crank it on occasion and get 140+db out of my system.
Keep in mind that such outlandish SPL numbers are usually gained by sacrificing musicality, i.e. tuning an enclosure to some "burp" frequency and then powering it until things start melting.

While an IB system will not deliver that kind of SPL, what it WILL do is have markedly increased extreme LF efficiency compared to a woofer designed for a small sealed box.

·
Registered
219 Posts
what about Edesignaudio subs? I the site says they work well in IB, i'm not sure how to judge it from specs though.

btw. I suggested my friend to install some subs IB also. next to some really loud PA speakers, and tweeters. mounting 2 10" subs and 2 10" mids is the easiest way to go, I can see. although the subs might not keep up so well.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,786 Posts
xencloud said:
That orion sub is crazy. 2000 watts? I wish I could afford to power that sucker.......the specs look crazy too. VERY high qts measurement, and response out to 1500hz? lol
It's pretty much what you're looking for in an IB woofer. High qts, powerhandling, and excursion. The prices are pretty low on them nowadays too.

Keep in mind that powerhandling is just the thermal failure limit. The efficiency determines how much power it requires to get loud.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I know the qts measurement was important because I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now, I now feel ten times smarter and still need to learn so much more.......:>)

Anyways, I heard those Orions are blowing and catching fire on some other forums, but could be because of DIY installers, lol

Nguyen, you reccomend a different sub everytime I ask! So is there a "best" sub that comes to mind for you for free air? Or if you have the time, could you give me what you think are the most important specifications of a free air sub, and I'll go research for one........:>)

Also, why is excursion important? I know the peerless or Dayton would work great free air (or sealed) and probably be a lot more accurate SQ-wise than the Orion H2, right?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm interested as well, I would like to go IB for my upcoming project as well. I might have to use 8's though.

Like xencloud, I'm a newbie at all this. (actually all over again, just getting back into the hobby after a looong break!)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
npdang said:
It's pretty much what you're looking for in an IB woofer. High qts, powerhandling, and excursion. The prices are pretty low on them nowadays too.

Keep in mind that powerhandling is just the thermal failure limit. The efficiency determines how much power it requires to get loud.
I have found that with an IB setup for subwoofers you will reach the mechanical power handling limits FAR before you will reach the thermal limits. Long ago it was a rule of thumb to cut the power handling in half for IB, don't know if this still holds true?

Chad

·
Registered
219 Posts
the tc2 10"s ($99) have a mid level Q. I looking at going with 2 of those or 1 H2. will someone tell me, if they expect the tc2's not to have as a flat FR and SPL level as the H2. then again EQing is an option.

Tc2 10" qtc = .44, same as the Dayton HF racerraul has running IB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts