DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok in the quest for better Sound ...As most of you all know( maybe not) I previously completed a full system couple months ago. Everything was all good, the frogs and Zapco sounded real good, however the sub stage was just lacking the deep lower end extension and little more output I was craving...I was torn back and forth about adding another sub or maybe putting the GB12 in a larger box....After some serious research, I decided to pull the trigger and get a IB-15...Again I was jumping in the unknown without demoing an IB setup...I did the same with the Frogs and was surprisingly impressed with the way they sounded. So the entire trunk will be redone...I will post pics of the overall installation. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I will be without my baby for about a week 馃槱

Day 1 - Breaking down the old system...馃槱

Registered
I am assuming you maybe can't fit 2 but I would recommend doing 2 in IB. I did a single and was still left wanting.....I'm intrigued by this build though...I'll be watching

Reactions: Chris12

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I am assuming you maybe can't fit 2 but I would recommend doing 2 in IB. I did a single and was still left wanting.....I'm intrigued by this build though...I'll be watching
Funny you say that....The single GB12 was plenty of bass...I just felt it was just lacking in accuracy....I am an old dude....2 15s is definitely overkill....The Q50 trunk is super tight...I am cool with one 馃檪 Jon over at Acoustic Elegance was nice enough to do a simulation of my current sub vs the single IB driver.

Registered
Funny you say that....The single GB12 was plenty of bass...I just felt it was just lacking in accuracy....I am an old dude....2 15s is definitely overkill....The Q50 trunk is super tight...I am cool with one 馃檪 Jon over at Acoustic Elegance was nice enough to do a simulation of my current sub vs the single IB driver.

View attachment 281483
Ah....I'll shut up and enjoy watching this unfold...should be an amazing build.

Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6
Definitely looking forward to reading your impressions how the new SBP15 compares with your old gb12. How much power are you going to give the SBP - and are you going to use a SSF? I鈥檇 be interested in both specs.

I鈥檓 currently considering going the opposite direction, from an SBP15 to something like a sealed GB12 (or two).

Like the other poster said, the single SBP15 has left me wanting. Exactly what it I feel I鈥檓 missing out on, I鈥檓 not exactly sure - that鈥檚 why I haven鈥檛 made a move yet. It is entirely possible that I鈥檓 not accustomed to such a low distortion 鈥渢ransparent鈥 sub. What I think I鈥檓 looking for is more impact and output.

There is no doubt that the SBP15/IB15AU are awesome subs, so I鈥檇 like to add that what I feel that the the sub is lacking could possibly be fixed with either more tuning or more power - I鈥檓 only giving the sub around 225 watts RMS with my JL audio xd300/1v2 at 4 ohms, and I could always spend more time with crossover points/ tuning.

Definitely looking forward to this build!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Well....I am Definitely not a bass head...The GB12 definitely will get down when pushed hard...The output was way more than I needEd...I am somewhat a purist...The Lowend detail was lacking on some tracks with my current GB. I am not saying it did not sound good, the issue could be I had it in a .85cubic Ft sealed enclosure....I am really rolling the dice on the single 15鈥 Vs getting 2.
With the Zapco, I will be feeding the SBP 550 watts.
and from the simulation, I should get that lowend response I am looking for..hopefully :)

Registered
If you want more from a sub. Face it the correct way for your vehicle. Either face it either directly at and as close as possible to the license plate

or for even better tighter louder bass. Face it towards the cabin and isolate it from the trunk. As in create a baffle and have the sub(and port if u have one) playing only into the cabin and no sound is getting to the trunk.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Day 2.....The only thing accomplished today was we started the construction of the baffle for the sub ..My installer decided 3 layers should be enough to prevent the baffle to flex...Might be over kill 馃檪

Backside of the baffle....I think we going to mount the fix and Helix on both Sides....Just in case we have no room in the trunk.

Front side of the baffle...

Registered
why did you run the jl fix 86 and the helix dsp.3 together?
i am using the jl fix 86 in my sisters 4runner right now, but i was about to remove it and install a dsp.3

i thought the dsp.3 could analyze and fix the input signal? (unlike the older model helix dsps)
of was this not the case?

thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
why did you run the jl fix 86 and the helix dsp.3 together?
i am using the jl fix 86 in my sisters 4runner right now, but i was about to remove it and install a dsp.3

i thought the dsp.3 could analyze and fix the input signal? (unlike the older model helix dsps)
of was this not the case?

thanks.
It鈥檚 actually a Fix 82 to sum up the signals from the Bose system....

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the long delay....The system is now complete....I will try and post better pics of the car in a shaded area.

Back view before sub and fabric was added.

SBP mounted and also new amp rack.

Pressed Grills for the air vents completed

Pressed Grill for Subwoofer baffle

Front Sub Baffle Completed. Decided to add Led lighting for the SBP.

Front Sub Baffle carpeted. amp rack top piece getting fabricated.

Amprack baffle And airvents completed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I will post my initial impressions of the Sub....One thing for sure the IB sub plays much faster and little deeper than my GB12....It is definitely louder....unfortunately I needed the proper usb adaptor to connect the HEC card 馃槱
i plan to really listen to the music when I get home for sure.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts