DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post, although I have looked around here, I have never needed to ask a question, but this is one I need advice on.

I have a small home theater in my basement. For my sub, I built an Infinite Baffle setup.

Now, I have seen a similiar setup done in a car.....

Now, I wonder if I could build an enclosure (similiar to my home theater setup), and mount it to the bottom of my rear shelf?? I have an 87' BMW 535i btw.. It has a nice big trunk and it has a metal frame between the trunk and the back seat, and has a metal from between the trunk and the rear shelf. Absolutly NO bass gets through, so I feel that this may be my only option (I don't want a sub to be seen in my rear shelf, as I want the car to seem stock, and the car is in amazing shape...

I would like to build a smaller version of the ht setup using 2 10'' subs.

Something like this.. (sorry for the crappy rendering)

I would cut a small rectangle in the shelf as the exit point for the speakers, and cover it with a grill painted the same color as my speakers.

I would also like some advice on IB subs. The subs I use in my home theater are designed as IB subs, I wonder if there are any of IB type subs available for the car, and for that matter, could I use ANY ib sub (one for home use)?? I would like to keep the size to 10'', as I don't think I could fit anything bigger under the rear shelf.

Thanks for all your help in advance!!! :)

Fred

·
Registered
531 Posts
you can use any IB sub :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Derek said:
you can use any IB sub :)
HAHA!! ;)

Yeah, I guess I just realized that one! I only have expierence with Dayton IB subs... and I see that others here use Dayton. I can't seem to locate a 10'' Dayton IB sub @ Partsexpress. I guess what I am after is a fairly inexpensive ($60-120 a piece) sub that I can use in this config....

Also, has anyone ever installed an infinite baffle sub setup the way I am proposing??

Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
531 Posts
Boozy McLiver said:
HAHA!! ;)

Yeah, I guess I just realized that one! I only have expierence with Dayton IB subs... and I see that others here use Dayton. I can't seem to locate a 10'' Dayton IB sub @ Partsexpress. I guess what I am after is a fairly inexpensive ($60-120 a piece) sub that I can use in this config....

Also, has anyone ever installed an infinite baffle sub setup the way I am proposing??

Thanks,
Fred
i think PE only sells the 15" version don't they :(

bastards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Derek said:
i think PE only sells the 15" version don't they :(

bastards.

Yeah, at the time I did my home theater, they sold 12''s too... I can understand why they stopped selling the 12''s from a home theater install point of view, but I wish they sold 10''s and 12''s :(

With that said.. I don't really see infinite baffle subs anywhere....

I'm a newb at all of this, so I am sure I just need to look at specs of the subs out there to decide if they would work in an IB setup.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There are many subs that will work well in IB. I had an IDMAX12 IB in my Cadi CTS-V sedan. Sounded incredible, but I just uninstalled it to try something new. I had only 350 watts RMS on it and it was extremely dynamic and VERY loud. Although, the IDMAX may be a bit heavy for the type of install you plan on doing. Run a quick search for infinite baffle on ECA and carsound forums. You will find plenty of recommendations with sometimes quite lengthy discussion.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Do you have to use 2? Why not a single 12" Peerless XXLS sub? It comes in 8 & 4ohms versions IIRC...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
racerraul said:
Do you have to use 2? Why not a single 12" Peerless XXLS sub? It comes in 8 & 4ohms versions IIRC...
Because of size constraints (the rear deck). I would like to use 2 10''s facing each other (like the setup pictured). So far the problem is.. I can't seem to locate 10" IB subs :(

I guess I would like to know if there are any 10''s out there. It seems that ''free air'' subs are less popular now. I know Dayton dropped there 12'' IB subs (at least they are not avail at PE).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Elemental Designs Kv.2 & Ov.2 lines can be run IB. Too bad the 10's are out of stock. :(

Ryan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
|Tch0rT| said:
Elemental Designs Kv.2 & Ov.2 lines can be run IB. Too bad the 10's are out of stock. :(

Ryan
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye out for them. I just Looked at them on the website, they seem like they fit my needs... Of course still open to other options :)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I would also consider the high qts Peerless XXLS or the TC sounds tc2+. Very quiet drivers, perfect for IB use.

Is there some reason that you need the push pull configuration though? It seems that you could get better output with both subs rear mounted into the rear deck wired in the same polarity.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here is another option... You can find Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ 10's on ebay every now and then...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
npdang said:
I would also consider the high qts Peerless XXLS or the TC sounds tc2+. Very quiet drivers, perfect for IB use.

Is there some reason that you need the push pull configuration though? It seems that you could get better output with both subs rear mounted into the rear deck wired in the same polarity.

Hi, I don't want a 'push/pull' config... they would both 'push' at the same time.. as does my HT IB sub.

I don't want, or have room for 2 subs mounted to the rear deck.... my entire trunk is 'lined' in metal, plus my rear deck is not that big... I have thought of another option (again, I am a newb to this). I thought about this in my sleep last night. What if I were to build a smallish box in my trunk with 2 sealed 10" subs (easier to obtain) and "port" the output to my interior via a small cutout in my rear deck? Look at this crude drawing and see if it would work.

Hopefully, you can sorta see what I want to do.. Absolutly NO bass comes through the metal, by sealing in the subs, and porting the sound through a small opening, would I obtain the most bass, while maintaining a ''stock'' look?

·
Registered
206 Posts
To have subs in such a small enclosure with 2 subs, you would need them in a push pull configuration which I think would realistically be more of a sealed isobaric.
An infinite baffle enclosure, or setup, is done where the sub is in a position where the rear wave of the speaker is separated from the front, and the air space is as a general rule of thumb 3x the vas of the sub, so the affect of air on the sub is very minimal.
Push-push won't work well, not to mention cancellations which would occur. And I would think that the pressure caused by 2 subs pushing on each others suspension and motor would have some pretty bad effects on output.
Does your HT sub sound good this way???
The enclosure you're drawing now looks more like a ported isobaric.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GMo said:
Does your HT sub sound good this way???
The enclosure you're drawing now looks more like a ported isobaric.

Heya... Yah, my HT sub is just amazing!! I know it is in a different environment, but it is an IB setup. The little drawing I scribbled was not an IB setup, that I know.. I just wandered if it was a viable choice (again, I'm a newb at this).

I Think I will end up removing the ''backside" of the boxes and go back with the IB setup.. if I put the box on the trunk floor, instead of suspending it, I can use 12" subs in an IB setup.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, push-push with the output waves on the outside of the enclosure is very doable. I was referring to the ported drawing using the inside waves.
You just have to make sure with a push-push, all of the interior pressures are damped properly.
I think that something like a push-push TL design utilizing the interior pressure can be done, but it would be pretty complicated.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i say do it.

i think coustic's idea was pretty kickass.

make the opening into the car as big as you can....

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know this is real late, but just found your post.

12" IB should fit in an E28 rear deck facing into the car, from experience no problems in a E34....

On the same note, cut the holes for the IB and build your box. That is the route I actually preferred comparing an E34 IB setup and box in the trunk. How is it coming?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts