DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these speakers rated at 4 ohm or 2 ohm?

Some sites say 4 ohm and some sites say 2 ohm!!!!! :confused::confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes But why does it say True four ohms?.....

• True Four Ohms— All Kappa speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Kappa Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes But why does it say True four ohms?.....

• True Four Ohms— All Kappa speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Kappa Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit.
What they're trying to say is that the puny factory wiring many OEM audio systems use will add sufficient resistance so the lower load is not a problem...I have still encountered head units that don't like the loads associated with Infinity 2 ohm speakers regardless of marketing-speak or use of thin factory wiring. If you were to take a multimeter and measure across the voice coils on those Kappas, the resistance seen would be close to the 2 ohm nominal impedance- impedance ebbs and flows with frequency being reproduced as the speaker does it's work, so that 2 ohm rating will fluctuate up/down when the speaker is in use and be a dynamic load on whatever amplifier is driving it.

Are you wanting to buy those speakers? Planning on powering them with a head unit's internal amplification? Have you listened to those Infinity Kappas?

I would suggest having a listen to those in-person before buying, as Infinity Reference, Kappas and Perfects can be exceedingly bright sounding and biased towards sounding very trebly at the expense of midbass performance. If that is what you're after in a speaker, I would suggest powering them with a proper amplifier that will give them sufficient power (compared to the anaemic internal amplification found in head units, regardless of claimed rating), bring out some of the speaker's midbass performance potential, and be comfortable with the nominal 2 ohm impedance. You may find other speakers that sound more balanced and won't be a problematic load for a head unit.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I never found the references to be overly bright, always thought they sounded quite good for the price but can lack a little bass compared to others. But many others didn't have the quality up high. That said it really depends on the car, in some they sound great but have had installs where they were not ideal.

HU can do 18rms/ch without a power supply. I'd highly recommend minimum 4x50 cea amp, or 4x30 in an old school amp @12v rated. Unless your car is really quiet, you like quiet music, and use efficient drivers...HU is not enough.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What they're trying to say is that the puny factory wiring many OEM audio systems use will add sufficient resistance so the lower load is not a problem...I have still encountered head units that don't like the loads associated with Infinity 2 ohm speakers regardless of marketing-speak or use of thin factory wiring. If you were to take a multimeter and measure across the voice coils on those Kappas, the resistance seen would be close to the 2 ohm nominal impedance- impedance ebbs and flows with frequency being reproduced as the speaker does it's work, so that 2 ohm rating will fluctuate up/down when the speaker is in use and be a dynamic load on whatever amplifier is driving it.

Are you wanting to buy those speakers? Planning on powering them with a head unit's internal amplification? Have you listened to those Infinity Kappas?

I would suggest having a listen to those in-person before buying, as Infinity Reference, Kappas and Perfects can be exceedingly bright sounding and biased towards sounding very trebly at the expense of midbass performance. If that is what you're after in a speaker, I would suggest powering them with a proper amplifier that will give them sufficient power (compared to the anaemic internal amplification found in head units, regardless of claimed rating), bring out some of the speaker's midbass performance potential, and be comfortable with the nominal 2 ohm impedance. You may find other speakers that sound more balanced and won't be a problematic load for a head unit.
I actually have the speakers. They sound great and it seems all along I have been overpowering them. When I say overpowering I'm sending them clean power, but I always thought the power I was sending them wasn't enough.

Also, I absolutely love the speakers. They sound amazing!!!!!!

Thanks for the information. I kinda figured that's what they were saying, but wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
They will sound much better on 50rms/ch at normal volumes, and go louder on 100 or more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts