DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted about this in a couple of other threads, but figured it would be worth posting here in Hot Deals.

Sonic Electronix has the Infinity Kappa 90CSX + 20MX 3-way component set available right now for $287.95. They claim a list price of $600, but purchased separately from the same site, or Crutchfield, they would run you $500. If you buy the 2-way set by its self it is $350 and the 20MX mids are $150.

You can also use coupon code "hutsell" for additional savings.

I'm not sure how long the pricing will last, so if you need a 3 way 6x9 component set on the cheap, I would jump on it.

Purchase Infinity Kappa 90CSX + 20MX 3-Way Component Set Here

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have never heard them either. They get great reviews on Crutchfield... and that price is lower than I paid just for my 6x9 mids.

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is my concern with these. Unlike the Kappa Perfect three way setup (which uses one passive crossover for all three speakers) this one utilizes two passive crossovers, one for the midbass/tweeter and one for the midrange. So you are going to have to use separate amplifier channels or you going to end up with some weird power to each speaker. It would be nice if you could use just one crossover for this 3 way setup like the Perfect.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Thee crossovers are designed around adding the midrange ("gap switchable"). I really don't see an issue here. If you're looking at the DC rating, that would place nominal around 3 ohms or so. Adding the midrange on the same channel would bring the load down to around 2 with a DC of less than, but that's just an estimate without seeing an impedance plot. Pretty sure they did the numbers since Harman has been designing component sets to compensate for the added resistance of factory wiring.

For the most part, I don't see too many that would want to run them passive anyway. You'll be at the mercy of placement which most opting for a budget set aren't going to want custom panel work, but can afford an active system negating the need for the passives. DSP is inexpensive now. Even if you use the passives from both sets, it is no different than ones that are bi-amp capable. That's a good thing.

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is my concern with these. Unlike the Kappa Perfect three way setup (which uses one passive crossover for all three speakers) this one utilizes two passive crossovers, one for the midbass/tweeter and one for the midrange. So you are going to have to use separate amplifier channels or you going to end up with some weird power to each speaker. It would be nice if you could use just one crossover for this 3 way setup like the Perfect.
The difference is only in the fact that you have one large passive crossover network for the Kappa Perfect and with the Kappas you have a two piece passive crossover network. They both perform the same function.

With the Kappa Perfect line, the image below is what you get when you order a two way component set. As you can see, there is an attenuation switch for the tweeter on the left and a 2-way / 3-way switch for the component system on the right. So, this is ready out of the box to add the 300M without any additional passive network components. When you buy the 300M, it comes without any sort of passive network.

With the Kappa line, the component sets come with a two way passive crossover network, that has the capability to add a secondary/piggyback passive crossover network should you decide to add the 20MX midrange. That secondary passive network comes included when you purchase the midrange.

This first image is the passive crossover that comes with the component set. At the top, you can see the 2-Way / 3-Way switch and next to it a 2-pin connector for adding the midrange passive.

This second image shows the midrange passive crossover. On the left, you can see the same 2-pin connector that will connect back to the original component crossover. The screw terminals on the right for the the speaker cable to the domes.

Bottom line? Both of these 2-Way / 3-way component systems are designed to be run off of a single amp channel when using the supplied passive crossover networks.

Reactions: ajstrider

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I know the domes have been reviewed a few times, but what about the woofer in the set?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
IDK, you could probably get some decent mid bass drivers with some decent tweeters and run active for that amount of money and probably have a better sounding system. I haven’t listened to any infinity Kappa speakers though to be fair. For example SEAS Prestige CA18RNX with SB29 tweeters for $290 shipped.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Easy to assume that, but the reality is you're not going to find many low-cost raw drivers with optimal specs for car doors. There's a reason why car audio manufacturers stick to certain formulas. Not to say car audio branded drivers are better, but from my experience, being on the opposite side of specs isn't a guarantee either. In fact, it isn't uncommon to have disappointment in the midbass area as a result and I'm a raw driver fan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The difference is only in the fact that you have one large passive crossover network for the Kappa Perfect and with the Kappas you have a two piece passive crossover network. They both perform the same function.

With the Kappa Perfect line, the image below is what you get when you order a two way component set. As you can see, there is an attenuation switch for the tweeter on the left and a 2-way / 3-way switch for the component system on the right. So, this is ready out of the box to add the 300M without any additional passive network components. When you buy the 300M, it comes without any sort of passive network.

With the Kappa line, the component sets come with a two way passive crossover network, that has the capability to add a secondary/piggyback passive crossover network should you decide to add the 20MX midrange. That secondary passive network comes included when you purchase the midrange.

This first image is the passive crossover that comes with the component set. At the top, you can see the 2-Way / 3-Way switch and next to it a 2-pin connector for adding the midrange passive.

This second image shows the midrange passive crossover. On the left, you can see the same 2-pin connector that will connect back to the original component crossover. The screw terminals on the right for the the speaker cable to the domes.

Bottom line? Both of these 2-Way / 3-way component systems are designed to be run off of a single amp channel when using the supplied passive crossover networks.
Thanks. I sent an email to Infinity about how to wire these up and they forwarded me to their technical department and never got back to me. I have not ever seen the little plug in any pictures before that I have looked at.

I have always been a fan of Infinity speakers when doing installs for myself and friends who just wanted a upgrade from factory stereo system without getting too crazy. Change out factory speakers for Infinity and put an amplifier on them, then add a subwoofer. Are they going to win competitions, doubtful. But they work great for me driving around playing my music too loud.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
That is definitely true with a mid bass as a raw driver Bayboy, but with tweeers I’ve discovered that you get better quality sounding drivers for less money, although sometimes they are bigger format tweeters. It’s also true with a three way setup that the size of the tweeter can be smaller with a higher fs so it doesn’t have to extend to a mid bass driver in a two way setup. Plus for those guys who are not running active, this JBL three way already has engineered passive crossovers ready to go.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
One of the best raw 2-way sets I've put together consisted of Satori 6.5" woofers coupled with Kaxbltwt tweeters. Very good detail and low distortion overall. Surprising midbass from such a low Q mid. It didn't drop low, limited more to around 100hz. But what it lacked in bottom end, it made up for in being snappy, quick, and natural sounding. The upper end of the mid was shockingly clean and extended to where I didn't feel the need to cross the tweeters as low as possible even though 2khz could be handled. However, we're talking about a $400 set of drivers with some sacrifice in midbass punch. I would expect no less performance for the money spent.

I've put together 3-ways for less with the advantage of better placement, but there's going to be a sacrifice somewhere and that's if you can find suitable drivers. The el cheapo 8" midbass I currently use is a unicorn of sorts. Not easy to find woofers with such specs and shallow mounting without spending a good amount. ZR800 woofers are stored up as replacements that I'm sure will be better, but we're talking about $25 vs $250 and I lucked out on finding a set of the ZR's for that price BNIB. A matched set like the Kappa on sale would be much easier and offers more amenities... grilles, mounting hardware, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Good point Bayboy and thanks for the advice. I accidentally found out that my stock 6*8 Ford woofers sound really good with my Tang Bang tweeters, all run active with 100 wpc and tuned with a DSP. I put them in while I was waiting to try some Silver Flute drivers to come in the mail and not anticipating that they would sound so good crossed 80-2600 Hz. I bet this JBL set would sound great active, assuming whomever buys them has a DSP and can tune them with an RTA with microphone. The new Dayton 408 DSP would be a good budget DSP to start with. It compares well to my JL Twk.

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems like you are all coming to the same conclusion on this. I love "raw" drivers. Whether from sources like Madisound, PE, etc. or from car audio brands. But, they aren't the best solution for everyone. (Probably not even everyone who posts on this very niche site.)

I posted this particular set because for the itch that it scratches... An easily integrated 3-way 6x9 component set (including passive crossover network and installation accessories). I haven't seen anything that comes close to it at the current price point. Even if you were to go active, I really wonder if you could find raw drivers at this price point that could compete. That 6x9 format is the real fly in the ointment.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Seems like you are all coming to the same conclusion on this. I love "raw" drivers. Whether from sources like Madisound, PE, etc. or from car audio brands. But, they aren't the best solution for everyone. (Probably not even everyone who posts on this very niche site.)

I posted this particular set because for the itch that it scratches... An easily integrated 3-way 6x9 component set (including passive crossover network and installation accessories). I haven't seen anything that comes close to it at the current price point. Even if you were to go active, I really wonder if you could find raw drivers at this price point that could compete. That 6x9 format is the real fly in the ointment.
Realistically speaking, I doubt it. Harman has a good reputation for consistency throughout their lines even though there's a tonal difference between JBL & Infinity. Still, trying to replicate or beat it within the same price range isn't easy because both brands have always been known to be value leaders. We're talking about matching or beating response, cone area, and ease of install for less than $300. Many of us try it all the time... most of us fail without admitting it.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I'm still a beginner with car audio upgrades. Would this set be a significant upgrade over the Focal ISS-690, even if I cant run the 2" speakers?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I'm still a beginner with car audio upgrades. Would this set be a significant upgrade over the Focal ISS-690, even if I cant run the 2" speakers?
I can't speak for the Focal 6x9 set, but I have fooled around with the Focal 6.5 Integration set and am not impressed the least with it. 2mm xmax and hardly any bottom end, I'm not sure what others see in them other than it's "Focal". There's even a Russian review of the 6.5 set stating the obvious except that distortion in the midrange is lower than comparable sets, but that should be a given since it isn't doing much below. Does that spill over to the 6x9 integration set? Can't say, but I don't see the value in that series.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.