DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I can't speak for the Focal 6x9 set, but I have fooled around with the Focal 6.5 Integration set and am not impressed the least with it. 2mm xmax and hardly any bottom end, I'm not sure what others see in them other than it's "Focal". There's even a Russian review of the 6.5 set stating the obvious except that distortion in the midrange is lower than comparable sets, but that should be a given since it isn't doing much below. Does that spill over to the 6x9 integration set? Can't say, but I don't see the value in that series.
This is my experience with the 6x9 set as well. To me, they sound pretty clear but are really lacking in the low-mid range. I thought maybe I wasn't giving them enough power (45w/ch), but the more I'm reading it's starting to seem like maybe that's just how Focal's Integration line is.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Focal's Integration line was design to make the best use of factory stock deck power as I understand it, which may or may not be the reasoning behind the low X-max, IDK. I also noticed they are subbing out a lot of their manufacturing to China now, but still charging Focal pricing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2 cents:

I wanted to upgrade my stock 4Runner speakers so I went with Focal Integration coaxials front and rear. I also replaced the head unit (Pioneer AVH2440). The result however, and this is without any external amplification (HU only), I don’t like these Focals and will be returning them. In exchange, I’m considering going with the Infinity 90CSX + 20Mx components which landed me on this post. I’ve debated on going with the perfect but I like the sound of the Kappas with some power to them. I agree that the Integrations were probably meant for factory power. Best price I’m seeing on the set right now (on a reputable site) is $445 from Sonic.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have looked at the Infinity Sets a few times as the price seems to get lower. I am just worried about mid bass on them. I have read a few reviews that said they were ok, but lacking in midbass. Just dont see enough reviews to validate this.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I have looked at the Infinity Sets a few times as the price seems to get lower. I am just worried about mid bass on them. I have read a few reviews that said they were ok, but lacking in midbass. Just dont see enough reviews to validate this.
You have to consider many probably aren't maximizing the install or using a DSP when giving those reviews. Even if they are, still would be hard to assume they did a good job.

I'm still using a cheap set of 8" in my doors that do plenty for a daily driver. Really doesn't take much, so it would be hard for me to believe the Infinity 6x9" couldn't achieve the same or better. It's all about expectations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok this brings up the tanstaafl rule again. The auto manufacturers put a lot of time and effort and research into getting the most sound out of a stock system to please a wide audience of people that they can. this usually means thin paper cones that are very efficient but have the Bose sound (50 to 6k frequency response, not much else). Upgrading to a factory premium sound system might get you another half octave on either end. When you upgrade to HiFi aftermarket components, the overly dominant midbass is the thing that suffers the most. Those polymer cones and beefy voice coils are power hungry and much more accurate than the paper speakers that just came out. They don't just flop around like a wet noodle with 8 watts of power applied. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Add into the mix that most aftermarket speakers are just dropped into the stock holes, without the funky gimmicks the stock speakers had ( integrated gaskets and spacers, foam plugs, angle mounts, etc). Likely to leak air and not be matched to the vehicle's acoustic signature as well. If you'd rather pay 200 or more dollars for a set of aftermarket speakers rather than a pair of 15 watt stock speakers, be advised that they're not going to sound the same. To get your boom box midbass back, buy some factory speakers.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.