DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for an amp that has an input voltage of <2V and input impedance of 10K ohm, that does around 2-300W rms at 4 ohm.

Does anyone know of an amp similar to these specs?

The closest ive got to is the Alpine mrp-m450 & m650, a RF punch 325.1, and a couple others. Ive even looked at the kicker dx500.1's because it would be a fast buy, but im very hesitant because the input voltage is <5v and kicker doesn't state the input impedance in their manual.

·
Registered
130 Posts
if you hook up 2 amp that are 10k to 1 rca output now you have a 5k ohm load to the HU. not a lot of people use just 1 amp anyway.it really don't make a difference as long as the HU puts out the voltage.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
the less you load the HU the later it will max out. input impedance 47kohms will not load down the HU rcas nearly as much as 10k.

in practice, it doesnt make much difference, since the output impedance of most rcas is 300-1000ohms.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright what you described sounds exactly like the problem im having, I can push a sub just fine but im not getting much power at low volumes

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Alright what you described sounds exactly like the problem im having, I can push a sub just fine but im not getting much power at low volumes
guess I am not sure what you mean. 'not much power at low volume' is kinda what you would expect. turn up the volume for more power.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah what i mean is i have to turn the volume up way too much to get bass, its stupid. theres a million other factors here but im narrowing it down to my amp not being a good match for my hu.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yeah what i mean is i have to turn the volume up way too much to get bass, its stupid. theres a million other factors here but im narrowing it down to my amp not being a good match for my hu.
just sounds like you have not matched the gains correctly or you have a lower powered amp.

what brand and wattage do you have? how did you set the gains?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I set the gains by ear, the 3/4 method basically, The problem is really my amp, its an audiobahn... class a/b etc. Im really in the market for a class d with input voltage of 2v, if you have any suggestions

Btw i think my charging system is playing a factor here, thats why im trying to get an amp that i can really get the most out of

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Problem found!!!! :D:D:D

Quit worrying about output/input impedance, go get a decent amp and if you need to, get a line driver to boost the voltage into your new (non audiobahn) amp.
lol, that is part of the problem. your 3/4 gain setting could be the other one. if your HU puts out 2V on the RCAs and you have the amplifier gain set for 3/4 and equates to 4V, then you are never going to push that amplifier to its full potential.

what in the range that amplifier has on the gain?
what output voltage does your HU have?

as niebur saud. dont worry about input/output impedance. unless you are connecting 5+ amplifiers to the same RCA, you are never going to run out of juice on the RCAs

1 - 20 of 31 Posts