DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I was at a shop in Texas that carried DD subs. I sat in the demo car there for a few minutes and was bombarded with the loudest bass I had ever heard. I found out that the car was using 4 8's and I was pretty impressed. However, I've never been a big basshead and DD's subs didn't really fit my tastes. I've always considered DD as strictly SPL subs, but I've read a lot on this forum lately about how musical some of their subs can be, that not all of them are strictly SPL woofers.

I've got a great sub stage right now with 2 IDQ v2 10's free air. I am pretty satisfied with the setup, but I can't run a lot of power to them. I'm just a little curious if DD has a 10" sub that can be ran in an infinite baffle setup with good results. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality, and I think my days of running subs in a box are over (at least in this vehicle). I'm toying around the idea of either adding one more 10" IDQ into the mix or looking into some new subs. With one more 10" I'll be able to get a little more volume without the risk of damaging my subs by bottoming them out, in the rare event that I want to get loud. I though that instead of adding one 10" (although it'll be the cheapest and most practical route) I could look into some woofers that will play louder in an IB setup, and be able to do it without reaching their excursion limits.

Just wanted to through this out there, are there any DD subs out there that I should consider? Or really any other sub out there that will give me a little more volume without reaching it's limits?

I just want to add that my set up now gets as loud as I'll ever want it. I don't need more volume, but sometimes I feel like I'm pushing these subs to the max. I dialed everything in and it looked like the subs were happy, then one day I took the back seat out and noticed the subs were getting sloppy. I realize that with the seat in, the subs are loaded and are more in control, but taking the seat out made me realize that I may be pushing these guys harder than I realized.

Sorry for the long read. Just looking for opinions.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I believe the only sub in their lineup that is recommended for IB applications is the 9100 series but 1 9110 is about the same price as 3 IDQ-10s. I know someone you ran 2 9112s IB and it sounded really good but I'm not sure if I would spend that kind of money on that setup. DD subs are really optimized for ported boxes and should be used in that nature.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just buy some JBL W Gti's they work great in IB and as I understand due to the motor design it's essentially impossible to push them to there mechanical limit, plus with all the technology JBL also put into the cooling it would be hard to thermally fry one unless your clipping your amp hard.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just buy some JBL W Gti's they work great in IB and as I understand due to the motor design it's essentially impossible to push them to there mechanical limit, plus with all the technology JBL also put into the cooling it would be hard to thermally fry one unless your clipping your amp hard.
Thanks for the help. I've been looking at those JBL's, they seem like great woofers, but i think their ass's will stick out too far. I think adding another IDQ 10 will probably be my safest bet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts