DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

581 - 600 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Coming soon.

2003 Chevy venture 43k original miles , super clean van!

Going to try the Veritas in the grocery getter. The wife will pull up to the sooper with her country jams , all the other moms will be jelin.

Can’t decide what motor to stick on these? Any recommendations

the nearest petrol station

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
From the look at these horns , it defy looks the the HF is going to have a very hard time making a turn around the bend in the body, from what I was told about the center being dominated by HF looks obvious.

She dosent have a console but the center of the dash protruding about 4” past lower dash and glove box.

I’m going to have to do some treatments for sure and maybe tilt them up about 4° Or so
To get the stage to rise enough. The van sits upright like an suv, but for hers as long as it’s spectral it’s all gravy baby!

Was just told the 450 radian came on these , I was thinking maybe a radian or a de500 or de550tn

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Was just told the 450 radian came on these , I was thinking maybe a radian or a de500 or de550tn
Radian not even close to a DE500 or DE550. Original ID drivers were Radian and while decent no where near the CD2 Comp. I dont think the mouth are and flare rate would take advantage of the DE550 larger diaphragm area.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Radian not even close to a DE500 or DE550. Original ID drivers were Radian and while decent no where near the CD2 Comp. I dont think the mouth are and flare rate would take advantage of the DE550 larger diaphragm area.

I haven’t had a set of 500s I’ve heard lots of good things about them just never had a set. Now I have an excuse to get a set :)

What do you think about the difference between the 550 and the 550tn?
I haven’t had a set of titanium drivers that I liked since the ultras or the cd2
However I remember loving the ultra sound quite a lot.

If I wanted a driver that will play lower on maybe another horn (Hint hint :p)
Would you go for the 550 or the 550tn (which is better for low end).

(Meaning I’ll probably swap them out down the road to a better horn, or should I just get the 500)

·
Registered
336 Posts
The wife will pull up to the sooper with her country jams , all the other moms will be jelin.
That made me laugh, more than it should have. Good to see a horn install.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
That made me laugh, more than it should have. Good to see a horn install.

It’s partially because she always takes my car wherever she goes and leaves me the van she says she likes to bump and likes the horns.

So I figure, now whatever car she takes at least I’ll have something to play with.

As her punishment tho she’s getting the sundown u-15 in the 6th order, and I’m going to do some of Eric’s subs in my car.
He was telling me about them and wow! I can’t wait to try them.

I could actually have some trunk space and still have good bass

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
mmm. i just got my horns installed. maybe ill come around to taking pics.

found myself image dynamics cd ultras full bodies with drivers for 175 shipped. Is it just me, or does the plastic bodies smell really bad?

ive spent...40 minutes of tuning while driving. and ive gotten them to sound really nice for a few songs.. and other songs sound soooo bad and sharp
I have some JBL Control Nows, and after about five years something really strange started to happen to the plastic enclosures. The outside is sticky, like the entire thing is covered in rubber cement. I used acetone to clean it off, and that mostly made it go away.

It's very odd though. I've seen plastic change colors, but I've never seen it decompose like this!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
And another horn system , Jesse’s car. (2010 ish Lancer EVo

Car is a little dirty but dam it sounded pretty good.
Alpine xa70f , on ES mB6-2 and focal rears
Xd4004 bridged on HLCDs
Jl audio twk88 dsp
13w7 on a slash 1000/1

I got to say the mb6 gets with it. Oh my gosh that’s a nice sounding speaker. I literally could not believe how much sound came out of that 6.5. Very nice indeed plays nicely down to 100 crossed at 120 LR4 and 960 LR4

·
Registered
81 Posts
And another horn system , Jesse’s car. (2010 ish Lancer EVo

Car is a little dirty but dam it sounded pretty good.

Alpine xa70f , on ES mB6-2 and focal rears

Xd4004 bridged on HLCDs

Jl audio twk88 dsp

13w7 on a slash 1000/1

I got to say the mb6 gets with it. Oh my gosh that’s a nice sounding speaker. I literally could not believe how much sound came out of that 6.5. Very nice indeed plays nicely down to 100 crossed at 120 LR4 and 960 LR4

Nice install. Looks great Andy!

And same here...everytime I see these ES drivers I want one even more.

So you crossed them at [email protected] particular reason why? Better question is it install related or function of the driver? I look at these as more of a "hybrid" b/w PA and traditional speakers and was thinking 70/80hz would be good (the MB8 anyway).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Nice install. Looks great Andy!

And same here...everytime I see these ES drivers I want one even more.

So you crossed them at [email protected] particular reason why? Better question is it install related or function of the driver? I look at these as more of a "hybrid" b/w PA and traditional speakers and was thinking 70/80hz would be good (the MB8 anyway).
The MB6 works great with an 80 Hz high pass, and the MB8 is even better and can do well to as low as 60 Hz ut I suggest 70 to 80.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
"I look at these as more of a "hybrid" b/w PA and traditional speakers and was thinking 70/80hz would be good (the MB8 anyway)."

I think that is a great summary.

I cant bottom mb6 with 250watts at ~72hz

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
The only reason why I choose 120 is the owner of that car listens way way louder than I can apprxeciate and his taste in music is almost saturated in the midbass, maybe his hires player was adding too much gain and getting dangerously close to 0dbfs. When I played my iPhone I could get his system to go all the way up with no distortion at all. With his hires player it was as loud as my iPhone at about half volume. To each there own, 120 at full power it still was grabbing into the 80s with the amount of eq cuts that was needed at 140-300. When he comes back for more work I may try it lower. I wanted to keep power handling at its max for awhile unti he learns a little more.

I’m my experience first time horn owners tend to want to have fun with the addded volume abilities for awhile than the sq desires come out eventually.

His sub played decent to 120 , a little eq before crossing it worked good for his requirements, he definitely likes good sq and is into hires and stuff......

I think my gut was telling me something.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Might as well throw my car up in this thread , with a super rare for me new set of horns (I usually rocking my 25yr old set or the minis ) I thought I should take a pic right after install , I’m sure it won’t be long till I have either cut them to the point there unusable or have a plethora of screw holes in them

·
Registered
339 Posts
Might as well throw my car up in this thread , with a super rare for me new set of horns (I usually rocking my 25yr old set or the minis ) I thought I should take a pic right after install , I’m sure it won’t be long till I have either cut them to the point there unusable or have a plethora of screw holes in them
Which compression drivers are in your personal vehicle? It looks like you built out from the footwell vs cutting metal for the midbass?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Which compression drivers are in your personal vehicle? It looks like you built out from the footwell vs cutting metal for the midbass?
Normally I run compneo, I lent my set to a installer to try so I have the 2408h on right now. But I wil be running compneo as soon as I get them back

Yeah , captain obvious talked me into kicks for stage width reasons , although with as much angle that was needed on them to image the way I wanted vs doing firing straight forward and more towards the middle I think it would have been about the same but with less pld. I definitely trust his advice, and it sounds excellent so I’m not mad at him (lol)

Do I not sure unless I try, but for now this way sounds good. God good stage on both sides. A little less legroom but it’s all gravy.

581 - 600 of 638 Posts