DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

601 - 620 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I need some advice on which horn to use. The fullsize will 'barely' fit. Please look at the attached pics and tell me if it is sticking out too far? The pic is with the small ferrite compression driver installed. Do I need to use mini horns instead?
That postioning for the full size is fine, you might be able to trim the mounting flange and get back a little further.

Its more of a dispersion pattern consideration for me, if it has a large console and there is a possibility of a early reflection off the console I tend towardsthe full size.

You could finish the install except the HLCD and then test both by wedging them in place with a piece of wood.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
So this thread doesn't actually have any very useful pics like..idk..how the horns are actually mounted..

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
That postioning for the full size is fine, you might be able to trim the mounting flange and get back a little further.

Its more of a dispersion pattern consideration for me, if it has a large console and there is a possibility of a early reflection off the console I tend towardsthe full size.

You could finish the install except the HLCD and then test both by wedging them in place with a piece of wood.
Thanks, Eric. I always appreciate seeing manufacturer interaction. I trimmed the rear mounting flange until the actual driver hit the wheel well. Without cutting metal (and a little jute) I can't go any further back. I suppose that the glove box could be shimmed out, but that would leave a gap at the side of the dash.

In one of the pics you can see the console covered in blue painter's tape. I don't either horn would hit the console. I'll add some pictures with the console. Do these additional pictures cause any concern for the mini horns?
I think the console is fairly small compared to some other vehicles. Should I follow Matt's video on measuring the exit angle?

I'm thinking that your recommendation for waiting until the end and trying both is the best answer. The seats are out for running wires and installing some damping material. I left them out for the horn install thinking it would be easier. I was hoping to finish the front end put the driver's area back together. I'm just getting anxious to drive my car again . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
jelly fo shure
Which install?

So this thread doesn't actually have any very useful pics like..idk..how the horns are actually mounted..

I have some mounting hardware failures that I could send. :laugh: Make sure you use strong enough hardware. I wasted time on some strapping that was way too thin. Eric used to send some pretty stout hanging material. I am trying radio backstrap and believe it will work for my application.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Horns in a Subaru WRX!

Thanks, Eric. I always appreciate seeing manufacturer interaction. I trimmed the rear mounting flange until the actual driver hit the wheel well. Without cutting metal (and a little jute) I can't go any further back. I suppose that the glove box could be shimmed out, but that would leave a gap at the side of the dash.

In one of the pics you can see the console covered in blue painter's tape. I don't either horn would hit the console. I'll add some pictures with the console. Do these additional pictures cause any concern for the mini horns?
I think the console is fairly small compared to some other vehicles. Should I follow Matt's video on measuring the exit angle?

I'm thinking that your recommendation for waiting until the end and trying both is the best answer. The seats are out for running wires and installing some damping material. I left them out for the horn install thinking it would be easier. I was hoping to finish the front end put the driver's area back together. I'm just getting anxious to drive my car again . . .

·
Registered
341 Posts
Guess im rewiring

It looks like you could just move that relay holder up or to the side. No problems in the passenger side with wire for my horn but I had to move a nest wires and the mounting 'cup' to mock up the kick panel driver (ES MB8).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
It looks like you could just move that relay holder up or to the side. No problems in the passenger side with wire for my horn but I had to move a nest wires and the mounting 'cup' to mock up the kick panel driver (ES MB8).
Had to do some serious moving things around but its coming along

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Yeah, or at least I'm trying. The old CD2v2 drivers aren't fitting without serious mod.

I thought I was being bold with a 3-way setup in a WRX, but you are just re-writing the book, man! I take it you fit in your WRX better than I fit in mine. I clip the under-dash area with my shins and feet every once in a while as-is. With horns I would probably rip myself up while trying to heel-toe. lol.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I thought I was being bold with a 3-way setup in a WRX, but you are just re-writing the book, man! I take it you fit in your WRX better than I fit in mine. I clip the under-dash area with my shins and feet every once in a while as-is. With horns I would probably rip myself up while trying to heel-toe. lol.
Lol, thanks. I can't heel-toe very well so I have up on it. My older son makes fun of me for driving a WRX like a granny.

I might find that the full bodies are just too big for the remaining space? The minis can tuck under the dash quite well.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Im struggling to get mine installed and you all put them in your friggin fender wells.

Bruh, don't make me tear them out in a month and try that...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

I don't want to get too far off topic again, so I'll keep this brief:

1) The United States has a printing press
2) The US dollar is the most widely accepted currency in the world
3) Interest rates are at all time lows

As long as those three things are true, the size of our debt is virtually meaningless. Worst case scenario, the US Treasury could mint fifteen trillion dollars and pay the debt off overnight.

It's an insanely complex topic, but finance is probably the one thing I enjoy talking about more than horns!

The Treasury Has Already Minted Two Trillion Dollar Coins - Forbes

Remember these days...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Here's my drivers side horn installed. I'm using trimmed Eric Stevens fullsize bodies mounted through the firewall.

Mounted/Mocked up

Clutch Clearance

Hole cut

Full Size Body

I'm planning to use Eric's Ultra motors and a pair of fiberglass straight fire bodies Matt Borgardt is making for me. I'm taking the car to a metal fab shop to have enclosures welded in place once I get everything dialed in correctly and sounding good.
He hasnt been on since 2017 so i cant ask him but JESUS!!!! How much is the lack of transition to the dash and the pedals causing reflection, going to affect the sound?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
He hasnt been on since 2017 so i cant ask him but JESUS!!!! How much is the lack of transition to the dash and the pedals causing reflection, going to affect the sound?
Well it will load up on firewall from looks of it , so it could actually be better

If your flushing the horn in , you have 360deg of loading surface
Where a dash is less

But even if you didn’t have them flushed they would load to the size of mouth

Full-size is 1k

Minis is like 1.2k iirc

It’ll work

I normally don’t cross below the mouth frequency anyways , usually stay a tad above it , avoid and pattern flips or wierd diffraction from surfaces ajacent to mouth........unless it just works

601 - 620 of 638 Posts